* Displayed formula
@ 2007-07-19 11:42 Oliver Buerschaper
From: Oliver Buerschaper @ 2007-07-19 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mailing ConTeXt users list for

Hi folks,

I desperately need your help ... why does the following code not
produce my formula?

\starttext
\startformula
[-iH(A),-iH(B)]=-iH([A,B])
\stopformula
\stoptext

I have a feeling that ConTeXt interprets the first part of my formula
as an argument to \startformula ...

Thanks for your help,
Oliver

* Re: Displayed formula
@ 2007-07-19 11:57 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2007-07-19 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

2007/7/19, Oliver Buerschaper <oliver.buerschaper@mpq.mpg.de>:
> Hi folks,
>
> I desperately need your help ... why does the following code not
> produce my formula?
>
> \starttext
> \startformula

\startformula\relax

or

\startformula[]

> [-iH(A),-iH(B)]=-iH([A,B])
> \stopformula
> \stoptext
>
> I have a feeling that ConTeXt interprets the first part of my formula
> as an argument to \startformula ...

you're right

> Thanks for your help,
> Oliver

Wolfgang

* Re: Displayed formula
@ 2007-07-19 12:14 ` Jelle Huisman
From: Jelle Huisman @ 2007-07-19 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I desperately need your help ... why does the following code not
> produce my formula?
>
> \starttext
> \startformula
> [-iH(A),-iH(B)]=-iH([A,B])
> \stopformula
> \stoptext

Hi Olivier,

I don't know what ConTeXt is doing behind the scenes, but I found two
solutions:

\starttext
\startformula
{[-iH(A),-iH(B)]=-iH([A,B])}
\stopformula
\startformula
\ [-iH(A),-iH(B)]=-iH([A,B])
\stopformula
\stoptext

HTH,

Jelle

* Re: Displayed formula
@ 2007-07-19 15:27   ` Oliver Buerschaper
From: Oliver Buerschaper @ 2007-07-19 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wolfgang, Jelle,

thanks for your suggestions ... problem solved!

Oliver

>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I desperately need your help ... why does the following code not
>> produce my formula?
>>
>> \starttext
>> \startformula
>
> \startformula\relax
>
> or
>
> \startformula[]
>
>> [-iH(A),-iH(B)]=-iH([A,B])
>> \stopformula
>> \stoptext
>>
>> I have a feeling that ConTeXt interprets the first part of my formula
>> as an argument to \startformula ...
>
> you're right
>
>> Thanks for your help,
>> Oliver
>
> Wolfgang

* Re: Displayed formula
@ 2007-07-19 15:48     ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2007-07-19 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Quoting Oliver Buerschaper <oliver.buerschaper@mpq.mpg.de>:

> Wolfgang, Jelle,
>
> thanks for your suggestions ... problem solved!

This thread brings up something that I have been thinking of for a
while. Similar problems occur in amsmath aligned family which accepts
an optional argument. mathtools.sty has an option so that the optional
argument will work only if placed on the same line. In terms of ConTeXt
that means,

\startformula[9pt]
math
\stopformula

\startformula [9pt]
math
\stopformula

will put the formula in 9pt font, while
\startformula
  [9pt]
  math
\stopformula

will display "[9pt] math". I have not looked into the details of how
mathtools implements this, but it should be possible to port it to
context. Will something like this be useful to have, or is adding
\relax once in a while alright?

Aditya

* Re: Displayed formula
@ 2007-07-19 16:41       ` Oliver Buerschaper
From: Oliver Buerschaper @ 2007-07-19 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

> This thread brings up something that I have been thinking of for a
> while. Similar problems occur in amsmath aligned family which accepts
> an optional argument. mathtools.sty has an option so that the optional
> argument will work only if placed on the same line. In terms of
> ConTeXt
> that means,
>
> \startformula[9pt]
> math
> \stopformula
>
> \startformula [9pt]
> math
> \stopformula
>
> will put the formula in 9pt font, while
> \startformula
>   [9pt]
>   math
> \stopformula
>
> will display "[9pt] math". I have not looked into the details of how
> mathtools implements this, but it should be possible to port it to
> context. Will something like this be useful to have, or is adding
> \relax once in a while alright?

I guess it'll depend on how hard this is to implement. At the moment
I'm dealing with lots of Lie brackets so I'd certainly appreciate
this feature very much ... in my opinion it would also improve
consistency: the same markup works for any kind of formula!

On the other hand one could also enforce the use of \[ whenever the
glyph [ should be actually typeset. This would be the other road to
consistency ;-)

Oliver

* Re: Displayed formula
@ 2007-07-19 20:22         ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2007-07-19 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Quoting Oliver Buerschaper <oliver.buerschaper@mpq.mpg.de>:

>> This thread brings up something that I have been thinking of for a
>> while. Similar problems occur in amsmath aligned family which accepts
>> an optional argument. mathtools.sty has an option so that the optional
>> argument will work only if placed on the same line. In terms of
>> ConTeXt
>> that means,
>>
>> \startformula[9pt]
>> math
>> \stopformula
>>
>> \startformula [9pt]
>> math
>> \stopformula
>>
>> will put the formula in 9pt font, while
>> \startformula
>>   [9pt]
>>   math
>> \stopformula
>>
>> will display "[9pt] math". I have not looked into the details of how
>> mathtools implements this, but it should be possible to port it to
>> context. Will something like this be useful to have, or is adding
>> \relax once in a while alright?
>
> I guess it'll depend on how hard this is to implement. At the moment
> I'm dealing with lots of Lie brackets so I'd certainly appreciate
> this feature very much ... in my opinion it would also improve
> consistency: the same markup works for any kind of formula!

I thought that it was easy, but I can not get it working.... Here is a
much simpler alternative (if you do not use font switching feature of
formulas)

\unprotected\setvalue{\e!start\v!formula}{\dostartformula{}[]}

Aditya