* abstract paragraph
@ 2002-06-15 19:24 Idris S Hamid
From: Idris S Hamid @ 2002-06-15 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear folks,

I am writing a report on letter size paper in 12pt cmr and need to define a
typographically pleasing paragraph for the abstract. Do any of you have any
defined paragraph setups for an abstract? Please share it if you can!:-)

On another note, are there any publically available environment files
available, e.g., that used for the MAPS articles?

Best wishes
Idris

--
Dr. Idris S Hamid
Department of Philosophy

* Re: abstract paragraph
@ 2002-06-16  1:30 ` John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2002-06-16  1:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Saturday 15 June 2002 03:24 pm, Idris S Hamid wrote:
> Dear folks,
>
> I am writing a report on letter size paper in 12pt cmr and need to define a
> typographically pleasing paragraph for the abstract. Do any of you have any
> defined paragraph setups for an abstract? Please share it if you can!:-)
>
> On another note, are there any publically available environment files
> available, e.g., that used for the MAPS articles?
>
> Best wishes
> Idris

Latex has an article class with an abstract macro. You might be able to
crib from that, or else use LaTeX for your task. I am not a LaTeX fan
but your requirement seems to fall right into its bailiwick.

HTH

John Culleton

D O T E A S Y - "Join the web hosting revolution!"
             http://www.doteasy.com

* Re: abstract paragraph
@ 2002-06-16  1:46   ` Idris S Hamid
From: Idris S Hamid @ 2002-06-16  1:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Latex has an article class with an abstract macro. You might be able to
> crib from that, or else use LaTeX for your task.

That's exactly what I was trying to avoid:-)

Idris

--
Dr. Idris S Hamid
Department of Philosophy

* Re: abstract paragraph
@ 2002-06-21 20:44 ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2002-06-21 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Idris S Hamid <ishamid@attbi.com> writes:

Hi,

> I am writing a report on letter size paper in 12pt cmr and need to define a
> typographically pleasing paragraph for the abstract. Do any of you have any
> defined paragraph setups for an abstract? Please share it if you can!:-)

I once used something like this:

\setupalign[middle]
\startalignment
\blank[3*big,force]
{\tfc The Ponder Policy Specification Language}

\blank[big]

Seminar: Entwicklungsaspekte verteilter Systeme

\blank[medium]

Patrick Gundlach

\currentdate
\stopalignment
\setupalign[reset]
\blank[3*big,force]
\midaligned{Zusammenfassung:}\par
\startnarrower[2*middle]
{\em Ponder} ist eine (Meta-)Sprache, um {\em Policies} zu definieren. Policies
sind Regeln oder Richtlinien, die ein Verhalten eines Systems
definieren. In diesem Dokument wird die Sprache Ponder
beschrieben und wie in ihr Policies definiert werden. Weiterhin wird
gezeigt, warum Meta-Sprachen wie Ponder sinnvoll sind, um Konflikte in
Policies zu finden.
\stopnarrower
\blank[5*big,force]

\placecontent

which was neither nice nor beautiful but it fulfilled its
purpose. Your abstracs are probably longer. Ask me again in a few
months when I start writing my diploma thesis. Perhaps I'll use
ConTeXt and have to write another abstract.

You might want to tell more about the requirements. Is the abstract
the only piece of text on your page? Is there a title? What does the
layout of the rest of the text look like?

Patrick

--
I'll fade into the darkness