* Elementary question (Title Page environment)
@ 2001-10-10 10:47 Adam Warner
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Adam Warner @ 2001-10-10 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I'm new to ConTeXt but have been getting up to speed with Boer's "LaTeX
in proper ConTeXt" and the ConTeXt manual.

I still haven't found the appropriate command to set up a title page. I
found this in Boer's source:

% this is an interactive document
\setupinteraction
	[state=start,
	 title={LaTeX in proper ConTeXt},
	 author={Berend de Boer},
	 subtitle={There is live after LaTeX},
	 keywords={LaTeX ConTeXt},
	 color=blue]

However I'm not creating an interactive document.

\setupinteraction doesn't appear to be in the manual's list of
definitions either.

I can use \title for the title but \author is undefined.

This appears to be a very impressive typesetting/layout language by the
way. High praise from http://www.tug.org/interest.html:

Context, Hans Hagen's powerful, modern, TeX macro package; a serious
contender for those wanting a production-quality publishing system

Thanks,
Adam

* Re: Elementary question (Title Page environment)
@ 2001-10-10 12:49 ` David Antos
From: David Antos @ 2001-10-10 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

> I still haven't found the appropriate command to set up a title page. I
> found this in Boer's source:
>
> % this is an interactive document
> \setupinteraction
> 	[state=start,
> 	 title={LaTeX in proper ConTeXt},
> 	 author={Berend de Boer},
> 	 subtitle={There is live after LaTeX},
> 	 keywords={LaTeX ConTeXt},
> 	 color=blue]

Those comands set the meta-information what Acroread displays in
"about this document" or how this is called. (Try it on Berend's file.)

To make a title page, you may use something like this:

\startstandardmakeup
\null\vfill
{\tfa This is my document}
\godown[4cm]
{\tfb I am the author}
\vfill
\stopstandardmakeup
% Untested, of course :-)

The standardmakeup turns off page headers and footers (and other things),
\vfills and godowns make vertical spacing, tf. are font switches.
The makeups are in the beta manual, I think.

> I can use \title for the title but \author is undefined.

There are no standard title pages like in LaTeX styles, ConTeXt users
are supposed to be creative enough to make them themselves (just
kidding, no flame please). Title pages are the only places in many documents
where you are allowed to be creative.

> Context, Hans Hagen's powerful, modern, TeX macro package; a serious
> contender for those wanting a production-quality publishing system

Is there anyone who disagrees? :-)

				D.A.

* Re: Elementary question (Title Page environment)
@ 2001-10-10 13:56 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-10-10 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 11:47 PM 10/10/2001 +1300, Adam Warner wrote:

>I still haven't found the appropriate command to set up a title page. I
>found this in Boer's source:
>
>% this is an interactive document
>\setupinteraction
>         [state=start,
>         title={LaTeX in proper ConTeXt},
>         author={Berend de Boer},
>         subtitle={There is live after LaTeX},
>         keywords={LaTeX ConTeXt},
>         color=blue]

this info will end up in the document catalog, and is invisible

>However I'm not creating an interactive document.
>
>\setupinteraction doesn't appear to be in the manual's list of
>definitions either.
>
>I can use \title for the title but \author is undefined.

\startstandardmakeup
   \bfd Your title
   \vfill
   \bfb Your Name
\stopstandardmakeup

is the way to go. Since titlepages are always kind of different, this is
one place where a little more coding is needed.

i may come up with some predefined title pages and a structured interface
once i start on the style manual

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: Elementary question (Title Page environment)
@ 2001-10-10 15:12   ` Tobias Burnus
From: Tobias Burnus @ 2001-10-10 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Adam Warner, ntg-context

Hi,

On Wed, 10 Oct 2001, Hans Hagen wrote:
> At 11:47 PM 10/10/2001 +1300, Adam Warner wrote:
> >I can use \title for the title but \author is undefined.
> \startstandardmakeup
>    \bfd Your title
>    \vfill
>    \bfb Your Name
> \stopstandardmakeup
> is the way to go. Since titlepages are always kind of different, this is
> one place where a little more coding is needed.

This actually depends a lot on the type of the document. If I want to
write a but or a longer report or make a presentation this is of cause
true. But for articles and short reports the title and the author is
usually on the top of a normal page and this case you cannot use this
approch.

> i may come up with some predefined title pages and a structured interface
> once i start on the style manual
I think a kind of article/report + letter type of "style" (environment)
wouldn't actually that bad: It would make transition from LaTeX easier and
would be a nice starting point to bring something to paper. (Can you write
this? I want to have it yesterday...)

Tobias

* Re: Elementary question (Title Page environment)
@ 2001-10-10 16:32 ` Berend de Boer
From: Berend de Boer @ 2001-10-10 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Adam Warner <lists@consulting.net.nz> writes:

> I still haven't found the appropriate command to set up a title
> page.

Here a few more eloborate examples:

---------------------------
\startstandardmakeup
\setupnumbering
  [place=]

\startalignment
  [middle]
\placefigure
  [here][]
  {none}{My company}
{\bfd My Title}\par
\blank[small]
{\bf The Author}\par
\blank[big]
Date: 2001-Oct-09\par
version 2.1\par
\stopalignment

\stopstandardmakeup
---------------------------

---------------------------
\startstandardmakeup
\hbox{
  \hbox{\vtop{\hsize 5.5cm\rightskip=0pt plus 1fill\baselineskip=24pt%
      \ss\bfd xplain2sql 1.0 manual\par\vskip12pt%
      \bfa 2001-oct-06}}%
  \hbox{\vtop{\hrule width4pt height18pt depth5cm}}%
  \lower40pt\hbox{\vtop{\hsize 6cm\leftskip=0pt plus 1fill
	{\setupbodyfont[24pt,rm]\it NederWare}\par\color[darkgray]{by Berend de Boer}\par}}%
}
\vbox{\vskip8cm}
\stopstandardmakeup
---------------------------

---------------------------
% front page
\start
\startstandardmakeup

\startfiguretext
  [left]
  {none}
  {\externalfigure[mypicture.png]}
\start
\ss
{\switchtobodyfont[48pt] My Title\par}
\blank[big]
\bfb
\rightaligned{The definitive and complete}
\rightaligned{Eiffel to Standard C and}
\rightaligned{POSIX 1003.1 binding}

\blank[6.4cm]

\leftaligned{{\it written by Berend de Boer}}
\stop
\stopfiguretext

\stopstandardmakeup
\stop
---------------------------

--
Groetjes,

Berend. (-:

* Centre Chapter Text in a Header [Was Re: Elementary question (TitlePage environment)]
@ 2001-10-11  0:42   ` Adam Warner
From: Adam Warner @ 2001-10-11  0:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

On Thu, 2001-10-11 at 05:32, Berend de Boer wrote:

> ---------------------------
> \startstandardmakeup
> \hbox{
>   \hbox{\vtop{\hsize 5.5cm\rightskip=0pt plus 1fill\baselineskip=24pt%
>       \ss\bfd xplain2sql 1.0 manual\par\vskip12pt%
>       \bfa 2001-oct-06}}%
>   \hbox{\vtop{\hrule width4pt height18pt depth5cm}}%
>   \lower40pt\hbox{\vtop{\hsize 6cm\leftskip=0pt plus 1fill
> 	{\setupbodyfont[24pt,rm]\it NederWare}\par\color[darkgray]{by Berend de Boer}\par}}%
> }
> \vbox{\vskip8cm}
> \stopstandardmakeup
> ---------------------------

Thanks to all for the replies! I have adapted my personal favourite from
the example above.

I'm making great progress but I'm stuck on one small thing. This is my
header setup:

\setuppagenumbering[location={header,right}]

\setupheader[style=sc]
\setupheadertexts[chapter][pagenumber]

\definetext[chapter][footer][pagenumber]
\setuphead[chapter][header=high,footer=chapter,page=yes]

This removes the header from the first page of a chapter and places a
page number in the bottom middle of the page.

All other pages have the chapter title in small caps (sc) on the left
with the page number on the right of the header.

What I can't figure out is how to make the chapter title in the headers
"midaligned", like this:

|                            Chapter Title                     | Page |
|         <-- distance=x -->       |         <-- distance=x -->       |

Thanks.

I'd like to chat about HTML conversion some later time. I suspect there
is nothing available at the moment like tex4ht for LaTeX.

Thanks again,
Adam

* Re: Centre Chapter Text in a Header [Was Re: Elementary question (Title Page environment)]
@ 2001-10-11  8:52     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-10-11  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Berend de Boer, ntg-context

At 01:42 PM 10/11/2001 +1300, Adam Warner wrote:

>\definetext[chapter][footer][pagenumber]
>\setuphead[chapter][header=high,footer=chapter,page=yes]
>

>This removes the header from the first page of a chapter and places a
>page number in the bottom middle of the page.
>
>All other pages have the chapter title in small caps (sc) on the left
>with the page number on the right of the header.
>
>What I can't figure out is how to make the chapter title in the headers
>"midaligned", like this:

the answer is here already:

\setupheadertexts[chapter]

so, one arg means in the middle, two means left/right, four means swapping

@ 2001-10-11  9:40       ` Adam Warner
From: Adam Warner @ 2001-10-11  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Berend de Boer, ntg-context

On Thu, 2001-10-11 at 21:52, Hans Hagen wrote:
> At 01:42 PM 10/11/2001 +1300, Adam Warner wrote:
>
> >\definetext[chapter][footer][pagenumber]
> >\setuphead[chapter][header=high,footer=chapter,page=yes]
> >

> >This removes the header from the first page of a chapter and places a
> >page number in the bottom middle of the page.
> >
> >All other pages have the chapter title in small caps (sc) on the left
> >with the page number on the right of the header.
> >
> >What I can't figure out is how to make the chapter title in the headers
> >"midaligned", like this:
>
> the answer is here already:
>
> \setupheadertexts[chapter]
>
> so, one arg means in the middle, two means left/right, four means swapping

Hans, that unfortunately makes the RHS header page numbers _disappear_
(I had already tried your suggestion. The problem is I would like two
elements in the header not one).

Here are the two commands I'm dealing with:

\setuppagenumbering[location={header,right}]
\setupheadertexts[chapter]

Now if I remove "header" from setuppagenumbering the page numbers do
indeed appear on the right but at the _bottom_ of the page, not inline
with the header.

Here is my (new) code:

\setuppagenumbering[location={header,right}]
\setupheader[style=\sc]
\setupheadertexts[chapter] %[pagenumber] tacked on would make it left/right

\definetext[chapter][footer][pagenumber]
\setuphead[chapter][style=\ss\bfd,header=high,footer=chapter,page=yes]
\setuphead[section][style=\ss\bf]

Thus it appears that "two means left/right" doesn't allow "two means
centre/right".

I'm certainly not expecting you to patch it. I only asked how to do it
using standard ConTeXt commands because I thought I'd missing something.

Regards,

@ 2001-10-11 10:31         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-10-11 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Berend de Boer, ntg-context

Hi,

>Hans, that unfortunately makes the RHS header page numbers _disappear_
>(I had already tried your suggestion. The problem is I would like two
>elements in the header not one).

take your choice:

\setupheadertexts
   [{\hfill\getmarking[chapter]\hfill\llap{\pagenumber}}]

or:

\setupheader
   [middletext={\getmarking[chapter]},
    righttext=\pagenumber]

@ 2001-10-11 16:48     ` Berend de Boer
From: Berend de Boer @ 2001-10-11 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Adam Warner <lists@consulting.net.nz> writes:

> I'd like to chat about HTML conversion some later time. I suspect there
> is nothing available at the moment like tex4ht for LaTeX.

There is :-)

But it's not yet public. I've written a CGI interface where people can
upload files and have them translated automagically. But I've to
create a win32 version for Hans first.

If you have pressing needs, I can try to "translate" your current doc
and send you back the HTML.

--
Groetjes,

Berend. (-:

* HTML [was Re: Centre Chapter Text in a Header [Was Re: Elementaryquestion (Title Page environment)]]
@ 2001-10-12 12:21       ` Adam Warner
From: Adam Warner @ 2001-10-12 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

I just want to thank everyone who replied over the last day (or so)
where I was too busy to respond.

Also a "Me too!": the prospect of stable mathematics support should mean
I will be able to standardise my PhD thesis upon ConTeXt.

To think I knew nothing about ConTeXt until a few days ago (I didn't
even know it existed). And now I discover that it has *superb* PDF
support, seems more robust than LaTeX (the reason I tried ConTeXt was
because I couldn't get a perfectly legal nested list to compile with
AUC-LaTeX). XML support is developing and the documentation is mind
boggling. I have printing out over 1,000 pages of documentation all
written by Hans.

On Fri, 2001-10-12 at 05:48, Berend de Boer wrote:
> Adam Warner <lists@consulting.net.nz> writes:
>
> > I'd like to chat about HTML conversion some later time. I suspect there
> > is nothing available at the moment like tex4ht for LaTeX.
>
> There is :-)

That's great news.

> But it's not yet public. I've written a CGI interface where people can
> upload files and have them translated automagically. But I've to
> create a win32 version for Hans first.

And why is that? ;-) I cringe every time I type \crlf :-)

I'm still using the LaTeX (X)Emacs major-mode. I'm going to install
Berend's ConTeXt major-mode soon.

> If you have pressing needs, I can try to "translate" your current doc
> and send you back the HTML.

If you want the source to this document Berend to test out let me know
and I'll email it to you:
http://www.openphd.net/Files/Digital_Tech_Review_3c.pdf

Given the pressing time constraint I cut a few corners like no internal
cross referencing.

Berend will see his influence in the title page (I never worked out how
to increase the line spacing within the main (italics) title).

It also incorporates Hans cont-new.tex patch for \leftquotationmark and
\rightquotationmark.

Regards,
Adam

* Re: HTML [was Re: Centre Chapter Text in a Header [Was Re: Elementary question (Title Page environment)]]
@ 2001-10-12 12:49         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-10-12 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 01:21 AM 10/13/2001 +1300, Adam Warner wrote:

>Berend will see his influence in the title page (I never worked out how
>to increase the line spacing within the main (italics) title).

{\sld\setupinterlinespace Your title \par}

so, when you use \setupinterlinespace without arg, it will set the line
spacing to the one needed for the font, the \par inside a group is needed
in order to apply it to the par inside the group