* Re: ConText on webspace
@ 2013-04-19 19:17 Jan Heinen
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Jan Heinen @ 2013-04-19 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

 >>    Is it possible to instal and runl ConText on webspace?
 >>   Which requirements and limitations are needed?

 > define webspace

I have webspace hosted at the german provider (1und1) where
my homepage is running.
It contains php, perl, python, mysqld.

I have access via
- ssh
- ftp

It's NOT a managed server - there are lot's of other
customers on the same server.

Is this enough for your answer or which else information do
you need?

Regards
Janis

* Re: ConText on webspace
@ 2013-04-19 19:39 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2013-04-19 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 4/19/2013 9:17 PM, Jan Heinen wrote:

>  >>    Is it possible to instal and runl ConText on webspace?
>  >>   Which requirements and limitations are needed?
>
>  > define webspace
>

> I have webspace hosted at the german provider (1und1) where my homepage
> is running.
> It contains php, perl, python, mysqld.
>
> I have access via
> - ssh
> - ftp
>
> It's NOT a managed server - there are lot's of other customers on the
> same server.
>
> Is this enough for your answer or which else information do you need?

the garden distribution is not that large and if you use mkiv (install
with --engine=luatex to get a small footprint) there are no depencies

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: ConText on webspace
@ 2013-04-19 19:53 ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2013-04-19 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Apr 19 2013, Jan Heinen wrote:

>>>    Is it possible to instal and runl ConText on webspace?
>
> I have access via
> - ssh

Hi,

You could just try it:

- ssh remote-host
- mkdir context-dir ; cd context-dir
- rsync -ptv rsync://contextgarden.net/distribution/setup/first-setup.sh .
- ./first-setup.sh --modules=all --fonts=all
- PATH=$PATH:~/context-dir/tex/texmf-???/bin

--
           Peter

* Re: ConText on webspace
@ 2013-04-22  7:19 ` Keith J. Schultz
From: Keith J. Schultz @ 2013-04-22  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Janis,

ConText can run on a server, and therefore on a web-server.

Your problem would be getting 1und1 allowing for you to install the binaries.
I would suggest you mail 1und1 and ask them if you can do that.
You might need to switch your contract inorder to do that.

Hope this helps
	Keith.

Am 19.04.2013 um 21:17 schrieb Jan Heinen <JaHeinen@gmx.de>:

> >>    Is it possible to instal and runl ConText on webspace?
> >>   Which requirements and limitations are needed?
>
> > define webspace
>

> I have webspace hosted at the german provider (1und1) where my homepage is running.
> It contains php, perl, python, mysqld.
>
> I have access via
> - ssh
> - ftp
>
> It's NOT a managed server - there are lot's of other customers on the same server.
>
> Is this enough for your answer or which else information do you need?
>
> Regards
> Janis

* Re: ConText on webspace
@ 2013-04-19 19:20 ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2013-04-19 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2013-04-19 um 14:50 schrieb Jan Heinen:

> Is it possible to instal and runl ConText on webspace?
> Which requirements and limitations are needed?

I run ConTeXt as typesetting machine behind my (Django/Gunicorn/NginX) webserver on my own virtual machine.
You cannot run any independent program on a usual shared hosting webspace, you need root access.

Greetlings, Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/
http://wiki.contextgarden.net
https://www.cacert.org (I'm an assurer)

* Re: ConText on webspace
@ 2013-04-19 19:04 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2013-04-19 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 4/19/2013 2:50 PM, Jan Heinen wrote:
> Is it possible to instal and runl ConText on webspace?
> Which requirements and limitations are needed?

define webspace

> Have a nice weekend ... in Germany sun is shining :-)
> Regards
> Janis

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl