* Announce: etexshow, texshow for emacs
@ 2003-01-07 19:55 Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2003-01-07 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear ConTeXt hakers,

I am happy to announce the very first version of etexshow, a texshow
clone for my favorite os: emacs. You can download it from
http://levana.de/emacs/etexshow/etexshow.tgz
If you are fast enough, you can smell the fresh, oven-warm bytes of
the new tgz-archive. It is rather small (something around 30 k). See
inside etexshow.el for info. This has been tested under emacs 21.* on
Linux and MacOS X. Since this is an alpha version, there are some
minor problems. See file todo.

Patrick

* Re: Announce: etexshow, texshow for emacs
@ 2003-01-07 20:59 ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2003-01-07 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

One addition:

there is a screenshot at
http://levana.de/emacs/etexshow/screenshots.shtml

@ 2003-01-08  8:57 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-01-08  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 08:55 PM 1/7/2003 +0100, you wrote:
>Dear ConTeXt hakers,
>
>I am happy to announce the very first version of etexshow, a texshow
>clone for my favorite os: emacs. You can download it from
>http://levana.de/emacs/etexshow/etexshow.tgz
>If you are fast enough, you can smell the fresh, oven-warm bytes of
>the new tgz-archive. It is rather small (something around 30 k). See
>inside etexshow.el for info. This has been tested under emacs 21.* on
>Linux and MacOS X. Since this is an alpha version, there are some
>minor problems. See file todo.

whow. what steps should i take in order get this working in x-emacs (i got
lost in the 5298 menu options -)

Hans

                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: Announce: etexshow, texshow for emacs
@ 2003-01-09 10:30   ` Matthew Huggett
From: Matthew Huggett @ 2003-01-09 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there a big difference between Emacs and Xemacs?  On my Linux box
with Emacs 21.2, I only had to:
(1) byte-compile the .el files and put them in /usr/share/emacs/21.2/lisp/
(a local dir might have been better but I was too lazy)
(2) add a couple of entries to my own .emacs file (see etexshow.el for
details)
(3) create a dir to store the commands and cache files.
(4) type "M-x etexshow"     to start it up.

The color scheme is nowhere near as bad as Patrick says it is.
Etexshow works great.  Anyone using Emacs to edit ConTeXt files will
really  save time with it (much better than digging in the manuals when
you forget something :-) )

@ 2003-01-09 10:54     ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2003-01-09 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Matthew Huggett <mhuggett@zam.att.ne.jp> writes:

Dear Matthew,

> Is there a big difference between Emacs and Xemacs?

Yes, GNU-emacs is the one and only true emacs :) Seriously: they are
93% compatible (wild guess). I did some testing yesterday with xemacs
and added some changes so it worked for me with xemacs.

> The color scheme is nowhere near as bad as Patrick says it is.
> Etexshow works great.  Anyone using Emacs to edit ConTeXt files will
> really  save time with it (much better than digging in the manuals
> when you forget something :-) )

Version Alpha 2 (on the webpage) will support xemacs.

Patrick