* Re: float/figure and wrapping text
       [not found] <20060104110003.AB756127DC@ronja.ntg.nl>
@ 2006-01-04 14:54 ` Randolph Bertin
From: Randolph Bertin @ 2006-01-04 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday, January 4, 2006, at 05:00  AM, ntg-context-request@ntg.nl
wrote:

> you can move the graphic with:
>
> \starttext
>
> \hangsidefloat[3] \placefigure[left]{}{} \input zapf \input zapf
> \input zapf
>
> \movesidefloat[3*line] \placefigure[left]{}{} \input zapf \input zapf
> \input zapf
>
> \stoptext
>
> this is still page bound
>
> \movesidefloat[x=10pt,y=-30pt]
>
> also works, as does:
>
> \placefigure[left,3*line]{}{} \input zapf \input zapf \input zapf
>
> and in the next version:
>
> \placefigure[left,3*hang]{}{} \input zapf \input zapf \input zapf
>
> will work as well (i cannot post a patch because i first need to upload
> the version with the french interface)
>
> Hans

I tried all of the above examples, but all end up with the same result
I already have, namely, if there is not enough room to fit the figure
(in my project, this is an image) on the current page, a page break is
issued (leaving the bottom portion of the page blank). What I would
like to happen, is to go ahead and begin the next paragraph to fill the
current page, and then place the graphic on the subsequent page (with
text to the side).

Again, the issue only arises when there is not enough room on the
current page to fit the figure. In my project, the figures are about
1/2 the height of the main body text, so anytime the paragraph breaks
below the midpoint of a page, any image placed there will cause a page
break leaving the rest of the page blank.

Also, in the examples given, the ones using 3*line also set the image
down three lines from the beginning of the paragraph. And while I might
think that those first three lines should print across the full width
of the main body text (directly above the image area), they only appear
to the side of the image area, leaving three partially blank lines just
above the image. Is that what is supposed to happen?

Regards,
Randolph

* Re: float/figure and wrapping text
@ 2006-01-04 16:12   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-01-04 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Randolph Bertin wrote:

> On Wednesday, January 4, 2006, at 05:00  AM,
> ntg-context-request@ntg.nl wrote:
>
>> you can move the graphic with:
>>
>> \starttext
>>
>> \hangsidefloat[3] \placefigure[left]{}{} \input zapf \input zapf
>> \input zapf
>>
>> \movesidefloat[3*line] \placefigure[left]{}{} \input zapf \input zapf
>> \input zapf
>>
>> \stoptext
>>
>> this is still page bound
>>
>> \movesidefloat[x=10pt,y=-30pt]
>>
>> also works, as does:
>>
>> \placefigure[left,3*line]{}{} \input zapf \input zapf \input zapf
>>
>> and in the next version:
>>
>> \placefigure[left,3*hang]{}{} \input zapf \input zapf \input zapf
>>
>> will work as well (i cannot post a patch because i first need to upload
>> the version with the french interface)
>>
>> Hans
>>

> I tried all of the above examples, but all end up with the same result
> I already have, namely,

that's intended (ok, you can play with the hang to force a graphic to a

> if there is not enough room to fit the figure (in my project, this is
> an image) on the current page, a page break is issued (leaving the
> bottom portion of the page blank). What I would like to happen, is to
> go ahead and begin the next paragraph to fill the current page, and
> then place the graphic on the subsequent page (with text to the side).

that's what the attached file was doing ... keep in mind that this
really stretches tex to the limits

* Re: float/figure and wrapping text
@ 2006-01-04 19:22     ` Randolph Bertin
From: Randolph Bertin @ 2006-01-04 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday, January 4, 2006, at 10:12  AM, Hans Hagen wrote:

> Randolph Bertin wrote:
>

>> On Wednesday, January 4, 2006, at 05:00  AM, Hans wrote:
>>
>>> you can move the graphic with:
>>>
>>> \starttext
>>>
>>> \hangsidefloat[3] \placefigure[left]{}{} \input zapf \input zapf
>>> \input zapf
>>>
>>> \movesidefloat[3*line] \placefigure[left]{}{} \input zapf \input zapf
>>> \input zapf
>>>
>>> \stoptext
>>>
>>> this is still page bound
>>>
>>> \movesidefloat[x=10pt,y=-30pt]
>>>
>>> also works, as does:
>>>
>>> \placefigure[left,3*line]{}{} \input zapf \input zapf \input zapf
>>>
>>> and in the next version:
>>>
>>> \placefigure[left,3*hang]{}{} \input zapf \input zapf \input zapf
>>>
>>> will work as well (i cannot post a patch because i first need to
>>> upload
>>> the version with the french interface)
>>>
>>> Hans
>>>

>> I tried all of the above examples, but all end up with the same
>> result I already have, namely,
>

> that's intended (ok, you can play with the hang to force a graphic to
> a next page but then you hav esemi automated makeup)
>
>> if there is not enough room to fit the figure (in my project, this is
>> an image) on the current page, a page break is issued (leaving the
>> bottom portion of the page blank). What I would like to happen, is to
>> go ahead and begin the next paragraph to fill the current page, and
>> then place the graphic on the subsequent page (with text to the >> side).
>>
> that's what the attached file was doing ... keep in mind that this
> really stretches tex to the limits

Hans, I'm not sure what you mean by attached file. Are you referring to
the examples above?

Maybe I am asking the question in the wrong way.

First, I want to make sure that the behavior I am observing is what one
would expect:
Namely, if there is not enough room on a page, \placefloat will
*continue setting text on that page* and then put the float at the
beginning of the next page. But, for \placefigure if there is not
enough room on a page it will *issue a page break* and begin a new page
with with figure, leaving the remainder of the previous page blank.

Is there a way to get wrapped around a figure placed using \placefloat?

Randolph

* Re: float/figure and wrapping text (An Example)
@ 2006-01-05  1:13     ` Randolph Bertin
From: Randolph Bertin @ 2006-01-05  1:13 UTC (permalink / raw)