From: John Devereux <john@devereux.me.uk>
To: ntg-context@ntg.nl
Subject: Design for Translation
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 19:44:24 +0000	[thread overview]

Hi,

I am wondering how best to go about creating an evolving document that
will need translation.

This is a manual that will probably need to be produced - and
maintained - in around 6 languages.

For what it is worth, I have come up with two approaches, which
follow.

But I would really appreciate any insights anyone may have.

1) Just translate the file
--------------------------

- Obey formatting rules in document tex file so as to most easily
  visually separate commands from text.

- Distribute the files for translation with instructions.

This will work until we need to modify the file, then how to
communicate the modifications? An english diff?

I think this may be the best solution, but there is also

2) Using blocks
---------------

The "excursion" manual briefly describes an alternative (which I
think may be too cumbersome). The idea would be to totally separate
the text from any tex commands (except for a single type of begin/end
sequence). Conceptually :-

manual-env.tex:

\defineblock[EN,de,it]
\setupblock[EN][file=EN]
\setupblock[DE][file=DE]
\setupblock[IT][file=IT]

\doifmode[EN]{\def\lang{EN}}
\doifmode[DE]{\def\lang{DE}}
\doifmode[IT]{\def\lang{IT}}

manual.tex:

\environment manual-env.tex

\useblocks[\lang][installation-1]
\useblocks[\lang][installation-2]

EN.tex:

\beginEN[installation-1]
This is how to install the product type 1
\endEN

\beginEN[installation-2]
This is how to install the product type 2
\endEN

DE.tex:

\beginDE[installation-1]
(german text here)