* two questions
@ 2003-02-06 17:13 Tasos Drosopoulos
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Tasos Drosopoulos @ 2003-02-06 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello All,

After a number of years working with "classical" TeX/LaTeX I have been
trying out ConTeXt. I like the structured approach and the control it gives
the user and I have been trying it out on some of my working documents.

Two questions:

1. On writing tables in LaTeX, there is an option p{ some length } that
   enables paragraph mode for one or more of the table's column entries. Is
   there something equivalent in ConTeXt? I don't seem to be able to find
   it in the manual.

2. My native language is Greek and I would like to have the capability to
   write documents in this language. There does not seem to be support for
   it in ConTeXt. Are there any directions, notes, how-to's, etc. around,
   for how to add support for an additional language in ConTeXt? I'd like to
   give it a try.

   TIA

   Tasos

* Re: two questions
@ 2003-02-06 17:31 ` Idris S Hamid
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Idris S Hamid @ 2003-02-06 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tasos Drosopoulos wrote:

> 2. My native language is Greek and I would like to have the capability to
>    write documents in this language. There does not seem to be support for
>    it in ConTeXt. Are there any directions, notes, how-to's, etc. around,
>    for how to add support for an additional language in ConTeXt? I'd like to
>    give it a try.

If you're _really_ adventurous you could give Gamma, the ConTeXt format for
Omega, a try. For Greek it should work pretty well. Omega 1.15 or the latest
experimental version 1.23.2 is recommended for this. YMMV...

But again, only if you're adventurous:-)

Idris

* Re: two questions
@ 2003-02-06 17:35 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-02-06 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 07:13 PM 2/6/2003 +0200, you wrote:

>Hello All,
>
>After a number of years working with "classical" TeX/LaTeX I have been
>trying out ConTeXt. I like the structured approach and the control it gives
>the user and I have been trying it out on some of my working documents.
>
>Two questions:
>
>1. On writing tables in LaTeX, there is an option p{ some length } that
>    enables paragraph mode for one or more of the table's column entries. Is
>    there something equivalent in ConTeXt? I don't seem to be able to find
>    it in the manual.

\starttable and \starttabulate both accept p(3cm) and alike; in tabulate,
if you don't specify the width, it will be automatically calculated

>2. My native language is Greek and I would like to have the capability to
>    write documents in this language. There does not seem to be support for
>    it in ConTeXt. Are there any directions, notes, how-to's, etc. around,
>    for how to add support for an additional language in ConTeXt? I'd like to
>    give it a try.

it's not that complicated to implement:

(1) what fonts
(2) what encoding
(3) what labels

i have to implement greek anyway (need it for projects), so ...; last time
i looked into it, i became puzzled by the many encodings; so, do you have
infoin (1) and (2) to start with?

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: one answer
@ 2003-02-06 17:37 ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2003-02-06 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tasos Drosopoulos <drososa@otenet.gr> writes:

Hello Tasos,

> 1. On writing tables in LaTeX, there is an option p{ some length } that
>    enables paragraph mode for one or more of the table's column entries. Is
>    there something equivalent in ConTeXt? I don't seem to be able to find
>    it in the manual.

if you use the tabulate mechanism (documented in up-004-?.pdf), you
can use the p(somelength) specifier.

Patrick

* Re: two questions
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-02-06 19:56 ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2003-02-06 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Tasos

I can only comment on your first question.

Context offers you three environments:

1. tabulate \starttabulate[|||]  ... \stoptabulate
2. tables    \startable [|||]  ... \stoptable
3. natural tables  \bTABLE
                                 \bTR
                                     \bTD ... \eTD \eTR
                              \eTABLE

Information concerning the first two methods you can find in
e.g. mp-cb-en.pdf en cont-enp.pdf
The third method you can study in enattab.pdf (examples) and up-008.pdf
The third method is probably the most powerful!

Zou might have a look at the Pragma ade site where you can download the
mentioned files under overview.htm:

www.pragma-ade.com

Have fun! Willi

* Re: two questions
@ 2003-02-07  7:26   ` Gour
From: Gour @ 2003-02-07  7:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Willi Egger (w.egger@boede.nl) wrote:

> Information concerning the first two methods you can find in
> e.g. mp-cb-en.pdf en cont-enp.pdf
> The third method you can study in enattab.pdf (examples) and up-008.pdf
> The third method is probably the most powerful!

Please if you can provide info where to find up-008.pdf. Somehow I'm
unable to locate it (I've found only up to up-007.pdf).

Sincerely,
Gour

--
Gour
gour@mail.inet.hr

* Re: two questions
@ 2003-02-07  9:32     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-02-07  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 08:26 AM 2/7/2003 +0100, you wrote:
>Willi Egger (w.egger@boede.nl) wrote:
>
> > Information concerning the first two methods you can find in
> > e.g. mp-cb-en.pdf en cont-enp.pdf
> > The third method you can study in enattab.pdf (examples) and up-008.pdf
> > The third method is probably the most powerful!
>
>Please if you can provide info where to find up-008.pdf. Somehow I'm
>unable to locate it (I've found only up to up-007.pdf).

it was replaced by enattab

@ 2003-02-08 20:08     ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2003-02-08 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Gour,

> unable to locate it (I've found only up to up-007.pdf).

Got to www.pragema-ade.com
On the welcomescreen there is a link to ovrview.htm
Klicking on this link produces a long list of downloadble files where far
down you will find the mentioned file.

Succes Willi