* + in file names
@ 2011-03-14 21:11 Vedran Miletić
From: Vedran Miletić @ 2011-03-14 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Consider two .tex files located at
http://www.inf.uniri.hr/~vmiletic/art-pre/ with same content:

context --mode=article art-pre.tex works right,
context --mode=article art+pre.tex fails with

! Undefined control sequence.

system          > tex > error on line 7 in file art+pre.tex: Undefined
control sequence ...

Should + not be used? It seems to work ok without modes, but I haven't
tested deeply.

Regards,

Vedran Miletić

* Re: + in file names
@ 2011-03-14 22:24 ` Marco
From: Marco @ 2011-03-14 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2011-03-14 Vedran Miletić <rivanvx@gmail.com> wrote:

> Consider two .tex files located at
> http://www.inf.uniri.hr/~vmiletic/art-pre/ with same content:
>
> context --mode=article art-pre.tex works right,
> context --mode=article art+pre.tex fails with
>
> ! Undefined control sequence.
>
> system          > tex > error on line 7 in file art+pre.tex: Undefined
> control sequence ...
>
> Should + not be used?

Only ascii letters from [a-z] are supported as far as I know. If anything else
works, be happy but it's not guaranteed. It's a bug - or maybe better - a
known restriction and if I'm not mistaken it's mentioned somewhere in one of
the manuals. Additionally you can find a discussion on the mailing list
several weeks/months ago.

> It seems to work ok without modes, but I haven't tested deeply.

As mentioned above, use it on your own risk, it may fail.

Marco

* Re: + in file names
@ 2011-03-14 22:31 ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2011-03-14 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Vedran Miletić <rivanvx@gmail.com> writes:

> Should + not be used? It seems to work ok without modes, but I
> haven't tested deeply.

There is now an entry in the FAQ:
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/FAQ#Why_should_I_only_use_letters.2C_digits_and_hyphens_in_file.2Fpath_names.3F

--
           Peter

* Re: + in file names
@ 2011-03-15  8:17   ` Vedran Miletić
From: Vedran Miletić @ 2011-03-15  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

2011/3/14 Peter Münster <pmlists@free.fr>

> Vedran Miletić <rivanvx@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Should + not be used? It seems to work ok without modes, but I
> > haven't tested deeply.
>
> There is now an entry in the FAQ:
>
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/FAQ#Why_should_I_only_use_letters.2C_digits_and_hyphens_in_file.2Fpath_names.3F

Thanks, but this says nothing about "+" character specifically. Shouldn't it
be in the same category as "-"?

Regards,

Vedran Miletić

* Re: + in file names
@ 2011-03-15  8:32     ` Procházka Lukáš Ing. - Pontex s. r. o.
From: Procházka Lukáš Ing. - Pontex s. r. o. @ 2011-03-15  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello -

> 2011/3/14 Peter Münster <pmlists@free.fr>
>
>> Vedran Miletić <rivanvx@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> > Should + not be used? It seems to work ok without modes, but I
>> > haven't tested deeply.
>>
>> There is now an entry in the FAQ:
>>
>> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/FAQ#Why_should_I_only_use_letters.2C_digits_and_hyphens_in_file.2Fpath_names.3F
>

> Thanks, but this says nothing about "+" character specifically. Shouldn't it
> be in the same category as "-"?

(Probably not so related to Ctx and OSs other than Win - "-" was DOS valid character but "+" was not:

	http://www.bsdg.org/swag/DOS/0082.PAS.html

Win command "copy" and "xcopy" treats "+" as a separator of file names for some special action.)

BTW: When talking about special characters of file names again -

- I'd vote for '_', '~', '@', '$' and '!' to be valid chars in file names as well.

Lukas

--
Ing. Lukáš Procházka [mailto:LPr@pontex.cz]
Pontex s. r. o.      [mailto:pontex@pontex.cz] [http://www.pontex.cz]

Tel: +420 244 062 238
Fax: +420 244 461 038

* Re: + in file names
@ 2011-03-15  9:12     ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2011-03-15  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Vedran Miletić <rivanvx@gmail.com> writes:

> Thanks, but this says nothing about "+" character specifically.

It's easier and less error-prone to say what characters are guaranteed
to work, than to say what characters could cause problems.
There are a lot more characters, that you could try:
!"'`§$%&/()=?{[]}\*,;:_°^|<>@ and all kind of 8-bit characters of course!
--
           Peter