* predefined fonts on TeXLive
@ 2003-05-09 14:19 Bill McClain
From: Bill McClain @ 2003-05-09 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'd like to add a section on using TeXLive fonts to my help page. First:
listing those which are predefined in ConTeXt. Then: writing typescripts
for the others. Since I don't want to write any unncessary scripts,
please check this list to see if I've missed anything.

This is what I see by looking at type-exa.tex and running some
experiments:

(1) The default, with no type specification, gives Bluesky Computer
Modern.

(2) This produces CM-Super Computer Modern:

    \usetypescript[modern][ec]
    \setupbodyfont[modern]

(3) This produces Palatino (URW Palladio):

    \usetypescript[berry][ec]    % or [8r]
    \usetypescript[palatino][ec] %
    \setupbodyfont[palatino]

(4) This produces Times (URW Nimbus):

    \usetypescript[berry][ec] % or [8r]
    \usetypescript[times][ec] %
    \setupbodyfont[times]

(5) These both produce Times, Helvetica (\ss) and Courier (\tt) from the
URW Nimbus collection:

    \usetypescript[berry][ec] % or [8r]
    \setupbodyfont[pos]

or

    \usetypescript[berry][ec] % or [8r]
    \usetypescript[postscript][ec]
    \setupbodyfont[postscript]

* * *

That's all I can find. type-exa.tex contains Lucida typeface
definitions, but the corresponding tfm's don't exist on TeXLive. Is
there some setting to make these work? Similarly, type-enc.tex contains
many font synonyms, but the tfm's do not exist and there are no typeface
definitions for them.

For anything else, I'll have to produce typescripts, right?

-Bill
--
Sattre Press                                      Pagan Papers
http://sattre-press.com/                    by Kenneth Grahame

* Re: predefined fonts on TeXLive
@ 2003-05-10  7:45 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-05-10  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 09:19 09/05/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>I'd like to add a section on using TeXLive fonts to my help page. First:
>listing those which are predefined in ConTeXt. Then: writing typescripts
>for the others. Since I don't want to write any unncessary scripts,
>please check this list to see if I've missed anything.

type-enc has most of the free (type 1) ones on tex live,

\definetypeface[bookman][rm][serif][bookman][default][encoding=ec]

\setupbodyfont[bookman]

For using / combining the fonts, it would be nice to have a couple of
tables with proper relative scales

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: predefined fonts on TeXLive
@ 2003-05-12 15:50   ` Bill McClain
From: Bill McClain @ 2003-05-12 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 10 May 2003 09:45:52 +0200
Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> type-enc has most of the free (type 1) ones on tex live,

Ok, I've started a new section for TeXLive fonts on my help page:

http://home.salamander.com/~wmcclain/context-help.html#texlive-fonts

So far I have Palatino, Times, Helvetica, Courier, Bookman and Charter.

I haven't added Utopia because, for some reason, the TeXLive install
copied the pfb's but not the tfm's on my system. Has anyone else seen
that? I'll have to investigate.

-Bill
--

@ 2003-05-12 16:00     ` Gilles Pérez-Lambert
From: Gilles Pérez-Lambert @ 2003-05-12 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

Bill McClain a écrit le lundi 12 mai 2003 10:50 :
> I haven't added Utopia because, for some reason, the TeXLive install
> copied the pfb's but not the tfm's on my system. Has anyone else seen
> that? I'll have to investigate.

Yes, it's a known bug. You can get the tfms and vfs back here:

http://www.gutenberg.eu.org/distributions/texlive/93-correctifs-texlive7.html

Don't be afraid by the French stuff! :-) Just get the utopia.tar.gz file, cd to your texmf root directory and do a tar xvfz utopia.tar.gz to add the missing files (you can do it in your local texmf too I think).

Gilles.

* Re: predefined fonts on TeXLive
@ 2003-05-12 18:14       ` Bill McClain
From: Bill McClain @ 2003-05-12 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 12 May 2003 18:00:18 +0200
Gilles Pérez-Lambert <Gilles.Perez@univ-montp3.fr> wrote:

> Yes, it's a known bug. You can get the tfms and vfs back here:

Thank you! I've added those instructions to the page.

For some reason \bf is not producing bold Utopia, although \bi and \bs
produce bold italic and slanted. I'll look into it further.

-Bill
--

@ 2003-05-13  8:39     ` Gour
From: Gour @ 2003-05-13  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bill McClain (wmcclain@salamander.com) wrote:

> Ok, I've started a new section for TeXLive fonts on my help page:

What about teTeX or is it better to switch to TeXLive?

Sincerely,
Gour

--
Gour
gour@mail.inet.hr

* Re: predefined fonts on TeXLive
@ 2003-05-13  9:00       ` Maarten Sneep
From: Maarten Sneep @ 2003-05-13  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On dinsdag, mei 13, 2003, at 10:39 Europe/Amsterdam, Gour wrote:

> Bill McClain (wmcclain@salamander.com) wrote:
>
>> Ok, I've started a new section for TeXLive fonts on my help page:
>
> What about teTeX or is it better to switch to TeXLive?

I had a lot of trouble getting the fonts to work correctly on teTeX.
I asked Hans what he uses and he said "TeXLive". I figured that if I
used
the same distribution as the author of the macro package the chances
for me
getting the stuff to work would improve. And indeed, haven't had a
problem
since.

Maarten

Trivial:  Any problem that can be solved by a Nobel Laureate in less
than 24 hours.

* Re: predefined fonts on TeXLive
@ 2003-05-13 13:13       ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2003-05-13 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gour <gour@mail.inet.hr> writes:

Hello,

> What about teTeX or is it better to switch to TeXLive?

I recently switched from TeXlive7 to tetex 2.0.2 just because it is
newer. There are some additional tfms on TeXlive that enables you to
use the berry typscript that is shipped with ConTeXt. For all others
you can use my (still not finished) adobekb typescript on
levana.de/context/ .

Patrick