* LMTX: request for \tracinglostchars=3
@ 2022-12-22 15:23 Leah Neukirchen via ntg-context
From: Leah Neukirchen via ntg-context @ 2022-12-22 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Leah Neukirchen

Hi,

since TeX Live 2021 (TeX 3.141592653), there is

> - if \tracinglostchars >= 3, make missing characters an error (not just
>   a log message), and always report the character code in hex.

LaTeX also enables this by default these days.

LMTX only seems to support =0 (ignore) and =1 (report).  Making these
a fatal error (with exit status != 0) would be useful for automated
typesetting, as missing characters easily can get lost in the logs,
and then symbols are missing unnoticed in the output.

(However, \tracinglostchars=3 also doesn't seem to work with
LuaTeX+MKIV, probably because there is code to fallback to other fonts?)

cu,
--
Leah Neukirchen  <leah@vuxu.org>  https://leahneukirchen.org/

* Re: LMTX: request for \tracinglostchars=3
@ 2022-12-22 15:39 ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2022-12-22 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Hans Hagen

On 12/22/2022 4:23 PM, Leah Neukirchen via ntg-context wrote:
> Hi,
>
> since TeX Live 2021 (TeX 3.141592653), there is
>
>> - if \tracinglostchars >= 3, make missing characters an error (not just
>>    a log message), and always report the character code in hex.
>
> LaTeX also enables this by default these days.

Not really our reference -)

> LMTX only seems to support =0 (ignore) and =1 (report).  Making these
> a fatal error (with exit status != 0) would be useful for automated
> typesetting, as missing characters easily can get lost in the logs,
> and then symbols are missing unnoticed in the output.

Will never be default, you can play with:

% \checkmissingcharacters
% \removemissingcharacters
% \replacemissingcharacters
% \handlemissingcharacters

> (However, \tracinglostchars=3 also doesn't seem to work with
> LuaTeX+MKIV, probably because there is code to fallback to other fonts?)
and if you want to quit:

\enabledirectives[logs.errors=missing characters]

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: LMTX: request for \tracinglostchars=3
@ 2022-12-22 18:23   ` Leah Neukirchen via ntg-context
From: Leah Neukirchen via ntg-context @ 2022-12-22 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Leah Neukirchen

Hans Hagen via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl> writes:

>> LMTX only seems to support =0 (ignore) and =1 (report).  Making these
>> a fatal error (with exit status != 0) would be useful for automated
>> typesetting, as missing characters easily can get lost in the logs,
>> and then symbols are missing unnoticed in the output.
>
> Will never be default, you can play with:
>
> % \checkmissingcharacters
> % \removemissingcharacters
> % \replacemissingcharacters
> % \handlemissingcharacters
>
>> (However, \tracinglostchars=3 also doesn't seem to work with
>> LuaTeX+MKIV, probably because there is code to fallback to other fonts?)
> and if you want to quit:
>
> \enabledirectives[logs.errors=missing characters]

Ok, this is useful.

I looked around, but I couldn't find a similar feature for when a font
is not found?

cu,
--
Leah Neukirchen  <leah@vuxu.org>  https://leahneukirchen.org/