* \startfrontmatter & Co.
@ 2008-07-18 13:04 Alan Stone
From: Alan Stone @ 2008-07-18 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On page 17, the ConTeXt manual mentions the commands

\startfrontmatter - \stopfrontmatter
\startbodymatter - \stopbodymatter
\startbackmatter - \stopbackmatter

What's the precise use and benefit of these commands, other
a cleaner project structure ?

Alan

* Re: \startfrontmatter & Co.
@ 2008-07-18 15:37 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-07-18 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 3:04 PM, Alan Stone
<software.list.1es9s@gmail.com> wrote:
> On page 17, the ConTeXt manual mentions the commands
>
> \startfrontmatter - \stopfrontmatter
> \startbodymatter - \stopbodymatter
> \startbackmatter - \stopbackmatter
>
> What's the precise use and benefit of these commands, other
> a cleaner project structure ?
>
> Alan

You could use it to use different numbering methods for each parts.

You could also use them to use roman numbering in the frontmatter
and normal arabic numbers for the rest of the document and of this
can be done in the environment file without hacking in the document
itself (search for bodyfontenvironment in the mail archive).

\starttext

\startfrontmatter
\chapter{Introduction}
\stopfrontmatter

\startbodymatter
\chapter{Knuth}
\chapter{Zapf}
\stopbodymatter

\startappendices
\chapter{Tables}
\chapter{Figures}
\stopappendices

\startbackmatter
\chapter{Imprint}
\stopbackmatter

\stoptext

Regards,
Wolfgang

* Re: \startfrontmatter & Co.
@ 2008-07-18 16:02 ` John Devereux
From: John Devereux @ 2008-07-18 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Alan Stone" <software.list.1es9s@gmail.com> writes:

> On page 17, the ConTeXt manual mentions the commands
>
> \startfrontmatter - \stopfrontmatter
> \startbodymatter - \stopbodymatter
> \startbackmatter - \stopbackmatter
>
> What's the precise use and benefit of these commands, other
> a cleaner project structure ?

I used them because it lets me use \setupsection and
\setupsectionblock to customise the appearance of each part, in the
setup area (rather than in the document).

<http://texshow.contextgarden.net/command/detail/298>

<http://texshow.contextgarden.net/command/detail/296>

--

John Devereux

* Re: \startfrontmatter & Co.
@ 2008-07-19 11:01   ` Alan Stone
From: Alan Stone @ 2008-07-19 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

> itself (search for bodyfontenvironment in the mail archive).

The most, though still scarce information is available at
http://texshow.contextgarden.net

--
Alan
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you're tired of the crap and nonsense served
daily on TV (some call it the idiot box), in the
media and elsewhere, here's a wonderful
alternative. Probably the most useful,
enriching and inspiring website on the planet...
http://www.ted.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

* Re: \startfrontmatter & Co.
@ 2008-07-21  6:15     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-07-21  6:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 1:01 PM, Alan Stone
<software.list.1es9s@gmail.com> wrote:
>> itself (search for bodyfontenvironment in the mail archive).
>
> The most, though still scarce information is available at
> http://texshow.contextgarden.net

Sorry, I meat \setupsectionblock and \startsectionblockenvironment.

Regards,
Wolfgang