* Transparency in PNGs becomes black in PDF/X
@ 2019-12-19 20:49 Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2019-12-19 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

I think this is the same problem that I had in Bassenge:
The transparent part of PNGs like the attached one becomes black if I try to make an PDF/X.

I hope that is solvable...

\setupbackend[format=PDF/X-1a:2001]

\starttext
\externalfigure[kinder/esel_kl]
\stoptext

Best, Hraban

[-- Attachment #1.2.1: Type: text/html, Size: 1069 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #1.2.2: esel_kl.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 24380 bytes --]

* Re: Transparency in PNGs becomes black in PDF/X
@ 2019-12-20 10:00 ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2019-12-20 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi Hraban,

PDF/X-1a:2001 doesn't support transparency. You have to use PDF/X-4(p)
for that (the first X variant that supports transparency).
PDF/A-2|3 may also be an option. These formats also support transparency.

Peter

@ 2019-12-20 10:09 ` juh
From: juh @ 2019-12-20 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Henning Hraban Ramm writes:

> I think this is the same problem that I had in Bassenge:
> The transparent part of PNGs like the attached one becomes black if I try to make an PDF/X.
>
> I hope that is solvable...
>
> \setupbackend[format=PDF/X-1a:2001]

AFAIK PDF/X-1a:2001 does not support transparency.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Jan Ulrich Hasecke

--
Soziale Plastik. Die Kunst der Allmende
Essay zum 30. Todestag von Joseph Beuys

* Re: Transparency in PNGs becomes black in PDF/X
@ 2019-12-20 10:09   ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2019-12-20 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Dec 20, 2019 at 11:00 AM Peter Rolf <indiego@gmx.net> wrote:

> Hi Hraban,
>
> PDF/X-1a:2001 doesn't support transparency. You have to use PDF/X-4(p)
> for that (the first X variant that supports transparency).
> PDF/A-2|3 may also be an option. These formats also support transparency.
>

> Peter

confirmed, this is ok.

\setupbackend[format=PDF/X-4p]

\starttext
\externalfigure[esel_kl.png]
\stoptext

--
luigi

* Re: Transparency in PNGs becomes black in PDF/X
@ 2019-12-20 11:54   ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2019-12-20 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

But that’s no reason to paint it black!
I don’t think an alpha channel of a picture would need real PDF transparency.
InDesign & Co will flatten transparencies and create or combine pictures as necessary.
I can’t expect ConTeXt to do that. But I see no reason to convert the alpha channel that way.

Ok, time to update my setups.

Hraban