* AUCTeX and ConTeXt
@ 2008-06-28 18:08 Charles P. Schaum
From: Charles P. Schaum @ 2008-06-28 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

I really like the support that AUCTeX gives for ConTeXt. Actually, in
general it does well with any flavor. I'll have to RTFM to see what I
can do to start a new file specifically in ConTeXt, plain, or whatever,
not just LaTeX.

The weird thing is that it reports unspecified "problems" at the end of
running context but no such problems really exist.

The trivial snippet:

\starttext
Hello, world!
\stoptext

yields the message buffer:

Updating define menu...
Updating setup menu...
Updating other macro's menu...
Updating project structure menu...
Updating section block menu...
Updating section menu...
Updating...done
Type `C-c C-l' to display results of compilation.
ConTeXt: problems after {1} page.

The pdf generated is, however, entirely satisfactory, as are all texted
documents.

My strategy is to ignore it. This appears specific to AUCTeX, in this
case running on GTK Emacs 22 / Ubuntu 8.04. By contrast, I have minimal
to no problems on my OS X installation.

Charles

* Re: AUCTeX and ConTeXt
@ 2008-06-28 18:25 ` Jesse Alama
From: Jesse Alama @ 2008-06-28 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Charles P. Schaum" <verbo.solo@sbcglobal.net> writes:

> I really like the support that AUCTeX gives for ConTeXt. Actually, in
> general it does well with any flavor. I'll have to RTFM to see what I
> can do to start a new file specifically in ConTeXt, plain, or whatever,
> not just LaTeX.
>
> The weird thing is that it reports unspecified "problems" at the end of
> running context but no such problems really exist.
>
> The trivial snippet:
>
> \starttext
> Hello, world!
> \stoptext
>
> yields the message buffer:
>
> Updating define menu...
> Updating setup menu...
> Updating other macro's menu...
> Updating project structure menu...
> Updating section block menu...
> Updating section menu...
> Updating...done
> Type `C-c C-l' to display results of compilation.
> ConTeXt: problems after {1} page.
>
> The pdf generated is, however, entirely satisfactory, as are all texted
> documents.
>
> My strategy is to ignore it. This appears specific to AUCTeX, in this
> case running on GTK Emacs 22 / Ubuntu 8.04. By contrast, I have minimal
> to no problems on my OS X installation.

What are the exit codes for texexec?  Perhaps these are different from
what auctex is expecting.

Jesse

--
Jesse Alama (alama@stanford.edu)

* Re: AUCTeX and ConTeXt
@ 2008-06-29 10:34 ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2008-06-29 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jun 28, 2008, at 8:08 PM, Charles P. Schaum wrote:

> yields the message buffer:
>
> Updating define menu...
> Updating setup menu...
> Updating other macro's menu...
> Updating project structure menu...
> Updating section block menu...
> Updating section menu...
> Updating...done
> Type `C-c C-l' to display results of compilation.
> ConTeXt: problems after {1} page.
>
> The pdf generated is, however, entirely satisfactory, as are all
> texted
> documents.
>
> My strategy is to ignore it. This appears specific to AUCTeX, in this
> case running on GTK Emacs 22 / Ubuntu 8.04. By contrast, I have
> minimal
> to no problems on my OS X installation.
>
> Charles

I think this is a problem in context.el. David Kastrup helped me with
this problem at last year's ConTeXt meeting. Open the file auctex/
context.el in your favorite text editor. Now search for this line:

	((re-search-forward "^ TeX\\(Exec\\|Util\\)" nil t) ;; strange regexp
--pg

Insert a question mark right before TeX, so the line reads

	((re-search-forward "^ ?TeX\\(Exec\\|Util\\)" nil t) ;; strange
regexp --pg

That should fix your problem. pg, a.k.a. Patrick Gundelach, are you
reading this? :-)

Thomas

* Re: AUCTeX and ConTeXt
@ 2008-06-30  6:10   ` Jean Magnan de Bornier
From: Jean Magnan de Bornier @ 2008-06-30  6:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Le 29 juin à 12:34:36 "Thomas A. Schmitz" <thomas.schmitz@uni-bonn.de> écrit notamment:

| On Jun 28, 2008, at 8:08 PM, Charles P. Schaum wrote:
>
| > yields the message buffer:
| >
| > Updating define menu...
| > Updating setup menu...
| > Updating other macro's menu...
| > Updating project structure menu...
| > Updating section block menu...
| > Updating section menu...
| > Updating...done
| > Type `C-c C-l' to display results of compilation.
| > ConTeXt: problems after {1} page.
| >
| > The pdf generated is, however, entirely satisfactory, as are all
| > texted
| > documents.
| >
| > My strategy is to ignore it. This appears specific to AUCTeX, in this
| > case running on GTK Emacs 22 / Ubuntu 8.04. By contrast, I have
| > minimal
| > to no problems on my OS X installation.
| >
| > Charles
>
| I think this is a problem in context.el. David Kastrup helped me with
| this problem at last year's ConTeXt meeting. Open the file auctex/
| context.el in your favorite text editor. Now search for this line:
>
| 	((re-search-forward "^ TeX\\(Exec\\|Util\\)" nil t) ;; strange regexp
| --pg
>

| Insert a question mark right before TeX, so the line reads
>
| 	((re-search-forward "^ ?TeX\\(Exec\\|Util\\)" nil t) ;; strange
| regexp --pg
>

| That should fix your problem. pg, a.k.a. Patrick Gundelach, are you
| reading this? :-)

Hi Thomas+Charles,

As an auctex user, I have the same problem; but the question mark is
already in the context.el file. So I imagine the root of the problem is
somewhere else... :-(

cheers,
--
Jean

* Re: AUCTeX and ConTeXt
@ 2008-06-30 22:29     ` Charles P. Schaum
From: Charles P. Schaum @ 2008-06-30 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

I did put the question mark where there was none, and I still got the
behavior.

Charles

On Mon, 2008-06-30 at 08:10 +0200, Jean Magnan de Bornier wrote:
> Le 29 juin à 12:34:36 "Thomas A. Schmitz" <thomas.schmitz@uni-bonn.de> écrit notamment:
>
> | On Jun 28, 2008, at 8:08 PM, Charles P. Schaum wrote:
> >
> | > yields the message buffer:
> | >
> | > Updating define menu...
> | > Updating setup menu...
> | > Updating other macro's menu...
> | > Updating project structure menu...
> | > Updating section block menu...
> | > Updating section menu...
> | > Updating...done
> | > Type `C-c C-l' to display results of compilation.
> | > ConTeXt: problems after {1} page.
> | >
> | > The pdf generated is, however, entirely satisfactory, as are all
> | > texted
> | > documents.
> | >
> | > My strategy is to ignore it. This appears specific to AUCTeX, in this
> | > case running on GTK Emacs 22 / Ubuntu 8.04. By contrast, I have
> | > minimal
> | > to no problems on my OS X installation.
> | >
> | > Charles
> >
> | I think this is a problem in context.el. David Kastrup helped me with
> | this problem at last year's ConTeXt meeting. Open the file auctex/
> | context.el in your favorite text editor. Now search for this line:
> >
> | 	((re-search-forward "^ TeX\\(Exec\\|Util\\)" nil t) ;; strange regexp
> | --pg
> >

> | Insert a question mark right before TeX, so the line reads
> >
> | 	((re-search-forward "^ ?TeX\\(Exec\\|Util\\)" nil t) ;; strange
> | regexp --pg
> >

> | That should fix your problem. pg, a.k.a. Patrick Gundelach, are you
> | reading this? :-)
> >
> Hi Thomas+Charles,
>
> As an auctex user, I have the same problem; but the question mark is
> already in the context.el file. So I imagine the root of the problem is
> somewhere else... :-(
>
> cheers,

* Re: AUCTeX and ConTeXt
@ 2008-07-01  6:04   ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2008-07-01  6:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello Thomas,

> That should fix your problem. pg, a.k.a. Patrick Gundelach, are you
> reading this? :-)

yes, I am reading this. But I hope that there is somebody else
maintaining AUCTeX at the moment :-)

Patrick
--
ConTeXt wiki and more: http://contextgarden.net