* Footnotes within "paragraphs in columns" have incorrect width.
@ 2008-06-16 10:44 Daniel Pittman
From: Daniel Pittman @ 2008-06-16 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

G'day.

While designing the layout for a cookbook I have used "paragraphs in
columns" to place the ingredients and body text next to each other.

In order to add some commentary to the body I have been experimenting
with footnotes, to place comments at the end of the recipe without
getting in the flow of the steps.

In any case I seem to have found a bug: when I add a footnote inside the
paragraphs environment it retains the enclosing width -- even if placed
outside the space where it is defined.

The following file demonstrates the issue.  I expected to have the
footnote full width across the page but, as you will probably see, it is
constrained to half the width -- just like the running text.

% demonstrate footnote width being crunched by paragraphs in columns
\defineparagraphs[Para][n=2,rule=off,align=right] % left flush

\starttext
\startlocalfootnotes
\startPara
Hello, world.
\nextPara
This is some running text with a footnote, to demonstrate the way
\footnote{This is a nice, long footnote which should spread text all the way
across the page ... but doesn't, giving only the width of the enclosing
block.}
that the environment shrinks the footnote text flow.
\stopPara
\startPara
I use multiple, consecutive paragraph environments ...
\nextPara
... to lay out the ingredients for each step, and the steps
sequentially, through the document.
\stopPara
\placelocalfootnotes
\stoplocalfootnotes
\stoptext

I have ConTeXt from Ubuntu/Hardy, Texlive ConTeXt 2007.09.28-1, from
the TeXlive 2007-13 packages supplied by the vendor.

This is pdfTeXk, Version 3.141592-1.40.3 (Web2C 7.5.6)
ConTeXt  ver: 2007.09.28 16:52 MKII  fmt: 2007.12.19  int: english/english

Is this a behaviour that I am stuck with, or can I get footnotes that
expand to full width from within the two column environment?

I am not wedded to the "paragraphs" model, and would be happy with a
solution that would typeset with the same basic layout as the sample
file does.

Regards,
        Daniel

only message in thread, other threads:[~2008-06-16 10:44 UTC | newest]