* \startcolumns and multi-line footnotes
@ 2019-01-16 13:14 Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2019-01-16 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

With the new version of columns, how do I get multi-line footnotes?
I tried various things with \setupnotation but nothing seems to work?

MWE:

\starttext
\startcolumns
\dorecurse{3}{\input ward\footnote{\input zapf} }
\stopcolumns
\stoptext

Best wishes,
Taco

[-- Attachment #2: footn.pdf --]

* Re: \startcolumns and multi-line footnotes
@ 2019-01-16 14:05 ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2019-01-16 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Taco,

There two documents
	/context-minimal/tex/texmf-context/doc/context/documents/general/manuals/notnow.pdf
and
	/context-minimal/tex/texmf-context/doc/context/documents/general/manuals/pagecolumns.pdf
written by Hans in which he says that long footnotes and columns cannot be treated correctly yet (in the first one) and in the second he says that pagecolumns can handle a « sane » usage of columns and footnotes…

Indeed the following works but not with your example :-(
Best regards: OK

\definepagecolumns [example]
	[n=2,
	distance=5mm]

\starttext

\startpagecolumns[example]
\dorecurse {7} {
	\samplefile{tufte}
	\footnote{This is a short footnote.}
	\par
	}
\stoppagecolumns
\stoptext

@ 2019-01-16 15:33   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2019-01-16 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On 16 Jan 2019, at 15:05, Otared Kavian <otared@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Taco,
>
> There two documents
> 	/context-minimal/tex/texmf-context/doc/context/documents/general/manuals/notnow.pdf
> and
> 	/context-minimal/tex/texmf-context/doc/context/documents/general/manuals/pagecolumns.pdf
> written by Hans in which he says that long footnotes and columns cannot be treated correctly yet

Which is a tad annoying, as my example worked in both mkii and mkiv
just fine before the switch to the new mixed column system. It worked
ok for decades, in fact.

The weird bit here is that the new mixed columns do actually reserve
the correct amount of vertical space for the footnote, they just
seem to ‘forget’ to break the footnote into lines in the end.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: \startcolumns and multi-line footnotes
@ 2019-06-08 19:04     ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2019-06-08 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Jan 16 2019, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> Which is a tad annoying,

Indeed. Any news about this issue?

To what version should I downgrade to get multi-line footnotes in
columns please?

TIA for any help,
--
           Peter