* one small remark and one broad question
@ 2012-12-15 16:07 Thomas A. Schmitz
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2012-12-15 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

small remark first: archive.contextgarden.net has been down for a few
days now; I suppose because of the new server?

And now for the overly broad question: I'm embarking on what could
become a long project. One part of it is typesetting a book (with many
graphics). On the one hand, it would be wonderful to use the project
structure and break it down into several components to make things
manageable. On the other hand, it would be great to code in xml (because
I might want to publish this as a website too). can these things be
combined? Does the xml engine handle xinclude (or could this be added to
it)? Or would another approach be better? Thanks for your insights!

All best

Thomas

* Re: one small remark and one broad question
@ 2012-12-16  0:45 ` Cecil Westerhof
From: Cecil Westerhof @ 2012-12-16  0:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Op zaterdag 15 dec 2012 17:07 CET schreef Thomas A. Schmitz:

> And now for the overly broad question: I'm embarking on what could
> become a long project. One part of it is typesetting a book (with many
> graphics). On the one hand, it would be wonderful to use the project
> structure and break it down into several components to make things
> manageable. On the other hand, it would be great to code in xml (because
> I might want to publish this as a website too). can these things be
> combined? Does the xml engine handle xinclude (or could this be added to
> it)? Or would another approach be better? Thanks for your insights!

I understood that you can generate HTML with ConTeXt also. So there
would not be a need to use xml then. (I do not have experience with this.)

--
Cecil Westerhof
M CLDWesterhof@gmail.com

Please do not send me Microsoft Office/Apple iWork documents.
Send OpenDocument instead! http://fsf.org/campaigns/opendocument/

* here is ae
@ 2012-12-16 13:46 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-12-16 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Hi all,
>
> small remark first: archive.contextgarden.net has been down for a few
> days now; I suppose because of the new server?
>
> And now for the overly broad question: I'm embarking on what could
> become a long project. One part of it is typesetting a book (with many
> graphics). On the one hand, it would be wonderful to use the project
> structure and break it down into several components to make things
> manageable. On the other hand, it would be great to code in xml (because
> I might want to publish this as a website too). can these things be
> combined? Does the xml engine handle xinclude (or could this be added to
> it)? Or would another approach be better? Thanks for your insights!

Using xml sounds ok to me (esp as you know how to do it) ... with
xinclude you mean combining multiple files into one? It's what we do in
all xml related projects here. There is actually an \xmlinclude command

     \xmlinclude{main}{include}{filename|href|name}

this will include from elements with tags 'include' and one of the
attributes mentioned. Do this as one of the first steps as it merges xml
trees.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: here is ae
@ 2012-12-16 21:07   ` Schmitz Thomas A.
From: Schmitz Thomas A. @ 2012-12-16 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Dec 16, 2012, at 2:46 PM, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> Using xml sounds ok to me (esp as you know how to do it) ... with xinclude you mean combining multiple files into one? It's what we do in all xml related projects here. There is actually an \xmlinclude command
>
>    \xmlinclude{main}{include}{filename|href|name}
>
> this will include from elements with tags 'include' and one of the attributes mentioned. Do this as one of the first steps as it merges xml trees.
>
> Hans

Hi Hans,

thanks for your suggestion. Yes, I mean combining multiple files into one document. Sorry that I didn't see \xmlinclude, that's of course just what I was looking for. But after searching the list, I saw a couple old messages by Hans dan der Meer which made me realise I have no idea yet how to use it. Something like this?

file chapter_1.xml
<chapter>
  text
</chapter>

file <chapter_2.xml
<chapter>
  text
</chapter>

and then

file master.xml
<document>
  <xi:include href="chapter_1.xml/>
  <xi:include href="chapter_2.xml/>
</document>

Would translate to

\startxmlsetups xml:xi:include
  \startchapter
     \xmltext{#1}{chapter}
   \stopchapter
\stopchapter

Is that the basic structure, or am I misunderstanding the way this could be used?

All best

Thomas

* Re: here is ae
@ 2012-12-16 22:08     ` Sietse Brouwer
From: Sietse Brouwer @ 2012-12-16 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Command/xmlinclude

Wikified, but sans example for now. Thomas, could I leave that to you?
Writing about things I don't understand is one thing, but producing
working code that I don't understand is something I am happy to leave
to the experts.  ;-)

Cheers,
Sietse

P.s. To anticipate the obvious question "Sietse, do you mean working
code that *you* don't understand, or that the *author* doesn't
understand?" — the answer is "Yes." :-P

On Sun, Dec 16, 2012 at 10:07 PM, Schmitz Thomas A.
<thomas.schmitz@uni-bonn.de> wrote:

> On Dec 16, 2012, at 2:46 PM, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
>
>> Using xml sounds ok to me (esp as you know how to do it) ... with xinclude you mean combining multiple files into one? It's what we do in all xml related projects here. There is actually an \xmlinclude command
>>
>>    \xmlinclude{main}{include}{filename|href|name}
>>
>> this will include from elements with tags 'include' and one of the attributes mentioned. Do this as one of the first steps as it merges xml trees.
>>
>> Hans
>
> Hi Hans,
>
> thanks for your suggestion. Yes, I mean combining multiple files into one document. Sorry that I didn't see \xmlinclude, that's of course just what I was looking for. But after searching the list, I saw a couple old messages by Hans dan der Meer which made me realise I have no idea yet how to use it. Something like this?
>
> file chapter_1.xml
> <chapter>
>   text
> </chapter>
>
> file <chapter_2.xml
> <chapter>
>   text
> </chapter>
>
> and then
>
> file master.xml
> <document>
>   <xi:include href="chapter_1.xml/>
>   <xi:include href="chapter_2.xml/>
> </document>
>
> Would translate to
>
> \startxmlsetups xml:xi:include
>   \startchapter
>      \xmltext{#1}{chapter}
>    \stopchapter
> \stopchapter
>
> Is that the basic structure, or am I misunderstanding the way this could be used?
>
> All best
>
> Thomas

* Re: here is ae
@ 2012-12-16 22:19       ` Schmitz Thomas A.
From: Schmitz Thomas A. @ 2012-12-16 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Dec 16, 2012, at 11:08 PM, Sietse Brouwer <sbbrouwer@gmail.com> wrote:

> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Command/xmlinclude
>
> Wikified, but sans example for now. Thomas, could I leave that to you?
> Writing about things I don't understand is one thing, but producing
> working code that I don't understand is something I am happy to leave
> to the experts.  ;-)
>
> Cheers,
> Sietse

The horror :-) That was pseudo-code, and I have not the faintest idea if this works at all! But it's good you put this up on the wiki: it will create a disturbance in the space-time continuum which is so strong that Hans will have to tell us how it really works - otherwise, the Mayas may turn out to be right after all...

All best

Thomas

* Re: here is ae
@ 2012-12-16 23:22         ` Sietse Brouwer
From: Sietse Brouwer @ 2012-12-16 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> Wikified, but sans example for now. Thomas, could I leave that to you?
>> Writing about things I don't understand is one thing, but producing
>> working code that I don't understand is something I am happy to leave
>> to the experts.  ;-)

> The horror :-) That was pseudo-code, and I have not the
> faintest idea if this works at all! But it's good you put
> this up on the wiki: it will create a disturbance in the
> space-time continuum which is so strong that Hans will
> have to tell us how it really works - otherwise, the Mayas
> may turn out to be right after all...

You see, Hans, you must tell us how it really works. The fate of the
Earth lies in your hands!

--Sietse

* Re: here is ae
@ 2012-12-17  9:15     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-12-17  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12/16/2012 10:07 PM, Schmitz Thomas A. wrote:

> On Dec 16, 2012, at 2:46 PM, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
>
>> Using xml sounds ok to me (esp as you know how to do it) ... with xinclude you mean combining multiple files into one? It's what we do in all xml related projects here. There is actually an \xmlinclude command
>>
>>     \xmlinclude{main}{include}{filename|href|name}
>>
>> this will include from elements with tags 'include' and one of the attributes mentioned. Do this as one of the first steps as it merges xml trees.
>>
>> Hans
>
> Hi Hans,
>
> thanks for your suggestion. Yes, I mean combining multiple files into one document. Sorry that I didn't see \xmlinclude, that's of course just what I was looking for. But after searching the list, I saw a couple old messages by Hans dan der Meer which made me realise I have no idea yet how to use it. Something like this?
>
> file chapter_1.xml
> <chapter>
>    text
> </chapter>
>
> file <chapter_2.xml
> <chapter>
>    text
> </chapter>
>
> and then
>
> file master.xml
> <document>
>    <xi:include href="chapter_1.xml/>
>    <xi:include href="chapter_2.xml/>
> </document>
>
> Would translate to
>
> \startxmlsetups xml:xi:include
>    \startchapter
>       \xmltext{#1}{chapter}
>     \stopchapter
> \stopchapter
>
> Is that the basic structure, or am I misunderstanding the way this could be used?

well, that bit of code is *not* going so save the world

(1) master tex file

\startxmlsetups xml:setups
     \xmlinclude{#1}{xi:include}{href}
     \xmlsetsetup{#1}{document|chapter}{xml:*}
\stopxmlsetups

\xmlregistersetup{xml:setups}

\startxmlsetups xml:document
     \xmlflush{#1}
\stopxmlsetups

\startxmlsetups xml:chapter
     \startchapter[title=\xmltext{#1}{title}]
         \xmlall{#1}{content}
     \stopchapter
\stopxmlsetups

\starttext

     \xmlprocessfile{main}{master.xml}{}

\stoptext

(2) master xml file (with balanced quotes)

<document>
   <xi:include href="chapter_1.xml"/>
   <xi:include href="chapter_2.xml"/>
</document>

(3) proper chapters:

<chapter>
   <title>one</title>
   <content>text</content>
</chapter>

and

<chapter>
   <title>two</title>
   <content>text</content>
</chapter>

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: here is ae
@ 2012-12-17  9:22       ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2012-12-17  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12/17/2012 10:15 AM, Hans Hagen wrote:
> well, that bit of code is *not* going so save the world

It's going to save my world... Will wikify as soon as I've played a bit
with it, thanks a lot!

> (2) master xml file (with balanced quotes)

that's what I meant - someone forgets to balance their quotes, and next
thing we know, the entire internet is coming down and the world ends.

All best

Thomas

* Re: here is ae
@ 2012-12-17 15:02       ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2012-12-17 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12/17/2012 10:15 AM, Hans Hagen wrote:
> well, that bit of code is *not* going so save the world

OK, after playing with it for a while now:

1. Is it possible to have the benefits of components, i.e. compiling
just one chapter with crossrefs, pagenumbers etc. taken over from the
main file?

2. Bibliography: I have trouble getting normal bibliography to work, so
I guess it would be best to embark on putting the references into an xml
file and then writing my own macros for that?

Thanks a lot

@ 2012-12-19  8:14 ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2012-12-19  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Hi all,
>
> small remark first: archive.contextgarden.net has been down for a few
> days now; I suppose because of the new server?

I don't want to be a pest, but the archive still hasn't come back to
life yet...

All best

Thomas