* context on solaris
@ 2002-12-15  4:08 Tomasz Kosinski
From: Tomasz Kosinski @ 2002-12-15  4:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hope this is the right place to ask...I have used, very gratefully, ConTeXt for
the past few years on my Debian GNU/Linux system, and sometimes, when possible,
I have installed it on client's/employer's Windows computers, using MikTeX.

Maybe I have to change my OS from Debian to Solaris, on an Intelx86 machine,
and so I would like to know if anyone has been using ConTeXt in that
environment, or, if there is any reason to expect that it might or might not
work.

I noticed in the teTeX download page:

        http://theory.uwinnipeg.ca/search/tetex.html

that pre-compiled binaries are available for Solaris running on Sparc
computers, but it doesn't say anything about x86 machines.

Any thoughts would be very much appreciated - non-programmer, end-user
writing.

By the way, my occupation is architect (buildings) and I use ConTeXt for all
kinds of document preparation - office work, correspondence, presentations,
etc. I recently received a reply to a proposal which I submitted, which
included the following:

> Thanks, I'll be back in touch.
> Robin
> PS most beautiful proposal ever!
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Maybe the enthusiasm is a bit exaggerated, but, to the extent that there is
truth in the sentiment, credit is largely due to ConTeXt, ConTeXt's author, and
to the many on this list who have helped out over the years.

Regards,

rb

* Re: context on solaris
@ 2002-12-15 14:11 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-12-15 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 11:08 PM 12/14/2002 -0500, you wrote:

>I noticed in the teTeX download page:
>
>         http://theory.uwinnipeg.ca/search/tetex.html
>
>that pre-compiled binaries are available for Solaris running on Sparc
>computers, but it doesn't say anything about x86 machines.
>
>Any thoughts would be very much appreciated - non-programmer, end-user
>writing.

Did you check out the latest tex live? (don't have the cd's here, so i
cannot check it now).

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: context on solaris
@ 2002-12-16 10:46   ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2002-12-16 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> writes:

Hello Hans and Tomasz,

> Did you check out the latest tex live? (don't have the cd's here, so i
> cannot check it now).

In the readme it is stated that solaris i386 is supported but the
directory with the binaries is not in the promised place (2nd CD).

Patrick,

 who has just got his TeX-Calendar 2003!