From: Daniel Pittman <daniel@rimspace.net>
Subject: Re: How to apply a color or screen background to a tabulate (ortable) cell?
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 00:48:49 +1000	[thread overview]

On Thu, 18 Apr 2002, Hans Hagen wrote:
> At 10:12 PM 4/18/2002 +1000, Daniel Pittman wrote:
>
>>I know that the 'f' is the symbolic name of the position and that 'x'
>>is the predefined background mentioned above. I couldn't work out
>>exactly what the set of macros for defining points did, though.
>
> indeed it's specifying symbolic names and begin/end points; this
> permits spanning cells in quite strange ways.

Yes. If I ever need to do a more complex graphical table thing, this
will be incredibly useful. It's been good to try and work it out. :)

[...]

>>Finally, as I mentioned, trying to read the source to better
>>understand those macros made my brain melt. The ConTeXt sources scare
>>me occasionally -- there is /so/ much magic in there...
>
> be warned: most of the source is not meant for reading

I figure that it's the thing to do between reading the documentation and
asking on the mailing list -- about a third of the time it answers my
question, often because there are examples in the source.

So, if I didn't try then you would be even more bombarded by questions
than you are now. For example:

Is there any way to specify the inter-cell spacing of two columns when
using the bTABLE/eTABLE interface?

I tried the 'distance' argument to bTD but, sadly, it didn't work.

I also noted that this didn't do anything -- but didn't generate any
message. Should I expect an error if I give an illegal argument to a
ConTeXt command, at least in general?

        Daniel

--
All discarded lovers should be given a second chance, but with somebody else.
        -- Mae West