* Using texexec to prepare single-sided PDF for double-sided printing
@ 2009-02-22 15:00 John Devereux
From: John Devereux @ 2009-02-22 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi,

I would like to use texexec to post-process a large pdf file, so as to
prepare it for double sided printing. The existing file has a large
left hand "margin" on each page, so as to allow binding.

I would like to change this so that odd (right) pages have a large
left margin, and even (left) pages a large right margin.

I don't want to put 2 pages on one output sheet - although the ability
to fine-tune the scaling might be useful.

I have experimented with plenty of combinations of

texexec --pdfarrange

...but I am not getting anywhere.

Any suggestions appreciated. I am on debian and there are plenty of
other pdf tools, but none of these seem quite right either. It would
seem a common enough requirement but nothing quite works!

Thanks,

--

John Devereux

* Re: Using texexec to prepare single-sided PDF for double-sided printing
@ 2009-02-23  9:54 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-02-23  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 22.02.2009 um 16:00 schrieb John Devereux:

> I would like to use texexec to post-process a large pdf file, so as to
> prepare it for double sided printing. The existing file has a large
> left hand "margin" on each page, so as to allow binding.
>
> I would like to change this so that odd (right) pages have a large
> left margin, and even (left) pages a large right margin.

\setuplayout[horoffset=1cm]
\setuplayout[page]
\starttext
\copypages[document]
\stoptext

you can add this to the wiki.

Wolfgang

* Re: Using texexec to prepare single-sided PDF for double-sided printing
@ 2009-02-23 17:04   ` John Devereux
From: John Devereux @ 2009-02-23 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> writes:

> Am 22.02.2009 um 16:00 schrieb John Devereux:
>
>> I would like to use texexec to post-process a large pdf file, so as to
>> prepare it for double sided printing. The existing file has a large
>> left hand "margin" on each page, so as to allow binding.
>>
>> I would like to change this so that odd (right) pages have a large
>> left margin, and even (left) pages a large right margin.
>
> \setuppagenumbering[alternative=doublesided]
> \setuplayout[horoffset=1cm]
> \setuplayout[page]
> \starttext
> \copypages[document]
> \stoptext

Thanks, that's great!

Is there an easy way to compensate for the original offset? The
original pdf has a large left margin and a small right one.

> you can add this to the wiki.

Will do.

--

@ 2009-02-23 17:51     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-02-23 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 23.02.2009 um 18:04 schrieb John Devereux:

> Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> writes:
>
>> Am 22.02.2009 um 16:00 schrieb John Devereux:
>>
>>> I would like to use texexec to post-process a large pdf file, so
>>> as to
>>> prepare it for double sided printing. The existing file has a large
>>> left hand "margin" on each page, so as to allow binding.
>>>
>>> I would like to change this so that odd (right) pages have a large
>>> left margin, and even (left) pages a large right margin.
>>
>> \setuppagenumbering[alternative=doublesided]
>> \setuplayout[horoffset=1cm]
>> \setuplayout[page]
>> \starttext
>> \copypages[document]
>> \stoptext
>
> Thanks, that's great!
>
> Is there an easy way to compensate for the original offset? The
> original pdf has a large left margin and a small right one.

Replace 'page' with the name of your document.

\setuplayout[page]

\starttext

\getfiguredimensions[pages]

\dorecurse\noffigurepages
   {\hbox to \textwidth
      {\ifodd\recurselevel
         \hskip-2cm\externalfigure[pages][page=\recurselevel]\hss
       \else
         \hskip-1cm\externalfigure[pages][page=\recurselevel]\hss
       \fi}}

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: Using texexec to prepare single-sided PDF for double-sided printing
@ 2009-02-23 19:47       ` John Devereux
From: John Devereux @ 2009-02-23 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> writes:

> Am 23.02.2009 um 18:04 schrieb John Devereux:
>
>> Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> writes:

>>> \setuppagenumbering[alternative=doublesided]
>>> \setuplayout[horoffset=1cm]
>>> \setuplayout[page]
>>> \starttext
>>> \copypages[document]
>>> \stoptext
>>
>> Thanks, that's great!
>>
>> Is there an easy way to compensate for the original offset? The
>> original pdf has a large left margin and a small right one.
>

> Replace 'page' with the name of your document.
>
> \setuplayout[page]
>
> \starttext
>
> \getfiguredimensions[pages]
>
> \dorecurse\noffigurepages
>   {\hbox to \textwidth
>      {\ifodd\recurselevel
>         \hskip-2cm\externalfigure[pages][page=\recurselevel]\hss
>       \else
>         \hskip-1cm\externalfigure[pages][page=\recurselevel]\hss
>       \fi}}
>
> \stoptext

Thanks Wolfgang, I got that to work perfectly. I had to fiddle around with
it, I put the result on the Wiki

<http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Including_pages_from_PDF_document>

(Please move/amend as appropriate)

% replace "Manual" with the name of your original pdf
\define\MySingleSidedDocument{Manual}

% can adjust topspace to move page etc
\setuplayout[\MySingleSidedDocument,topspace=1cm,header=0cm,backspace=0cm]
% suppress page numbering
\setuppagenumbering[location=]

\starttext

\getfiguredimensions[\MySingleSidedDocument]

\dorecurse\noffigurepages
  {\hbox to \textwidth
     {\ifodd\recurselevel
%adjust number to set odd page horizontal position
        \hskip-0.1cm\externalfigure[\MySingleSidedDocument][page=\recurselevel]\hss
      \else
%adjust number to set even page horizontal position
        \hskip-1.8cm\externalfigure[\MySingleSidedDocument][page=\recurselevel]\hss
      \fi}}
\stoptext

--

John Devereux