* ligatures?
@ 2003-05-12 14:28 Adam Lindsay
From: Adam Lindsay @ 2003-05-12 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

TeXnicians,

Once again, I'll stick my neck out showing my pure TeX ignorance.

Are there ConTeXt commands for adding ligatures to the usual set (ff, fi,
etc.)? Where in the chain are these characters (f + i) grouped and
associated with the 'fi' character to be output?

I'd like to be able to take advantage of some extended ligatures with my
pro fonts, but it seems that if users have to enter the ligatures as
\Thligature or whatever, they would be of very limited use.

thanks in advance,
adam

 Adam T. Lindsay                      atl@comp.lancs.ac.uk
 Computing Dept, Lancaster University   +44(0)1524/594.537
 Lancaster, LA1 4YR, UK             Fax:+44(0)1524/593.608

* Re: ligatures?
@ 2003-05-12 14:57 ` Bruce D'Arcus
From: Bruce D'Arcus @ 2003-05-12 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday, May 12, 2003, at 10:28  AM, Adam Lindsay wrote:

> Are there ConTeXt commands for adding ligatures to the usual set (ff,
> fi,
> etc.)? Where in the chain are these characters (f + i) grouped and
> associated with the 'fi' character to be output?

IIRC, look in the encoding files; in other words, at the level of TeX
itself.

To add ligs, though, you need to use slots.  Because of the 256
character limit, this means you have to throw out other glyphs to get
the extra ligs AFAIK.

Bruce

* Re: ligatures?
@ 2003-05-12 15:01   ` Bill McClain
From: Bill McClain @ 2003-05-12 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 12 May 2003 10:57:52 -0400
"Bruce D'Arcus" <bdarcus@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> To add ligs, though, you need to use slots.  Because of the 256
> character limit, this means you have to throw out other glyphs to get
> the extra ligs AFAIK.

I wonder: the vf files define ligatures also; run vftovp on one and look
at the LIG entries in the LIGTABLE section. Could this be used to add
arbitrary number of new ligatures, or convenient coding for some glyphs?
Hoenig has examples of this sort of thing in _TeX Unbound_.

I've wanted to experiment with virtual fonts for a while, but am daunted
by fontinst.

-Bill
--
Sattre Press                                      Pagan Papers
http://sattre-press.com/                    by Kenneth Grahame

* Re: ligatures?
@ 2003-05-12 15:03 ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2003-05-12 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Adam Lindsay" <atl@comp.lancs.ac.uk> writes:

> I'd like to be able to take advantage of some extended ligatures with my
> pro fonts, but it seems that if users have to enter the ligatures as
> \Thligature or whatever, they would be of very limited use.

Adam,

make use of the "Virtual Fonts" feature in TeX and the backends. How
did you install your fonts? You should have some .vf files for your
fonts and you can access the contents of them with vftovp (convert
back with vptovf) and just add ligature information. See Knuth's "More
fun for Grand Wizards: Virtual Fonts" available on ctan or in Knuth's
book "Digital typography". (Hope I got the title of the article
right.) Virtual Fonts are real fun to play with! It is (imo) one of
the best reason to use TeX :) It is completely transparent to the
users, no need to say \Thligature or so.

Patrick

* Re: ligatures?
@ 2003-05-12 15:25     ` Bruce D'Arcus
From: Bruce D'Arcus @ 2003-05-12 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday, May 12, 2003, at 11:01  AM, Bill McClain wrote:

> I've wanted to experiment with virtual fonts for a while, but am
> daunted
> by fontinst.

Here's a really good new tutorial:

	http://lehman.virtualave.net/files/ltxfonts.pdf

Bruce

* Dumb newbie question about UTF-8 support
@ 2003-05-12 15:43       ` Edmund Lian
From: Edmund Lian @ 2003-05-12 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi All,

I'm a newbie experimenting with TeX/ConTeXt as a cross-platform MS
Word/Quark/InDesign/etc. substitute.

I like what I've seen so far, so I moved on to exploring how well it
would support a multilingual situation. And this is where I started to
get confused...

I need to be able to use both Traditional and Simplified Chinese,
English and perhaps one or two other languages. The problem with Chinese
is that there are several different encoding standards--Big5, GB, HZ,
etc. I'm trying to avoid the mess involved in moving documents between
Big5 and GB by going to UTF-8 as a standard.

Despite all my Googling however, I still haven't been able to establish
a suitable tool chain to process these documents using TeX/ConTeXt...
some of my initial points of confusion are:

1. TeX. Apparently it is not UTF-8 capable, hence Omega and NTS.
However, I see Unicode extensions for LaTeX. How is this possible, and
what is the analogous situation for ConTeXt?

2. ConTeXt. I see passing references to some kind of UTF-8 extension,
but cannot find documentation on it. mchinese.pdf also mentions this in
passing. Is it possible to feed UTF-8 documents to ConTeXt?

3. Font installation. mchinese.pdf describes how to install Chinese
fonts, but the tools used are not available in some of the environments
that I've been using (Mac OS X, Debian/GNU Linux, etc.) I did come
across ttf2tex, but there's no mention of this in mchinese.pdf. Where
can I find more current instructions for installing fonts for ConTeXt?

Finally, I wonder if anybody else finds the pragma-ade.nl site very hard
to use/navigate because of the heavy use of PDFs? Some of the
in-document links that call up other PDFs are broken. And, if the
browser isn't set up right, it tries to download the PDF rather than
opening it in-place. I can't help thinking that a more HTML-oriented
site would actually improve navigability and utility...

...Edmund.

* Re: Re: ligatures?
@ 2003-05-12 15:46   ` Bruce D'Arcus
From: Bruce D'Arcus @ 2003-05-12 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday, May 12, 2003, at 11:03  AM, Patrick Gundlach wrote:

> make use of the "Virtual Fonts" feature in TeX and the backends. How
> did you install your fonts? You should have some .vf files for your
> fonts and you can access the contents of them with vftovp (convert
> back with vptovf) and just add ligature information.

The strategy he used does not use virtual fonts.  It involved running
afm2tfm (via texfont) on the afms to extract the glyphs using different
encodings.  Conceptually this is pretty straightforward.  I'm not sure
(because I've never done it) what would be involved in extending this
installer to support adding ligs via vfs...

Bruce

* Re: Re: ligatures?
@ 2003-05-12 15:54   ` Adam Lindsay
From: Adam Lindsay @ 2003-05-12 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Patrick, Bruce, Bill,

Thanks a lot for the excellent suggestions. I had completely avoided
Virtual Fonts before (even when making "new" math fonts), because I
thought it would be too much of a big topic to tackle (more that it would
be too interesting, rather than too difficult :).

After this enthusiastic response, however, I'll be giving the topic a
closer look. Thanks for the Lehman link, Bruce.

So, am I right in concluding that ligatures are *only* handled by the
output routine? There's no way of using ConTeXt to map my normal text
input ('i' followed by 'j') to the already-defined \ijligature?

Cheers,
adam

@ 2003-05-12 20:54     ` Bruce D'Arcus
From: Bruce D'Arcus @ 2003-05-12 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

If you want to get completely out of control (and I don't recommend
this unless you really need the functionality):

You can also use the ligature mechanism to access alternate glyphs.
For example, you could set up the fonts so that *Z gives you the swash
Z.

The technique (though using Omega) is outlined here:

http://www.tau.ac.il/~stoledo/Pubs/ps3.ps

Bruce

* Re: ligatures?
@ 2003-05-12 21:27     ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2003-05-12 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Bruce D'Arcus" <bdarcus@fastmail.fm> writes:

>> make use of the "Virtual Fonts" feature in TeX and the backends. How
>> did you install your fonts? You should have some .vf files for your
>> fonts and you can access the contents of them with vftovp (convert
>> back with vptovf) and just add ligature information.
>
> The strategy he used does not use virtual fonts.

Who is "he" in this case? Adam?

> It involved running afm2tfm (via texfont) on the afms to extract the
> glyphs using different encodings.

But afm2tfm gives you the vf's! And how can you reencode a font
without vf's? Are you doing this in the mapfile?

> Conceptually this is pretty
> straightforward. I'm not sure (because I've never done it) what
> would be involved in extending this installer to support adding ligs
> via vfs...

Just take the fi as an example.

Patrick

* Re: ligatures?
@ 2003-05-12 21:41     ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2003-05-12 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Adam Lindsay" <atl@comp.lancs.ac.uk> writes:

Hello Adam,

I am not a TeX expert, but I try to give an answer. Please anybody
out there correct me.

> So, am I right in concluding that ligatures are *only* handled by the
> output routine?

The ligatures defined by the font are handled by the paragraph
breaking routine. Deep down inside the lion. The "output routine"
(OTR) is something different.

> There's no way of using ConTeXt to map my normal text input ('i'
> followed by 'j') to the already-defined \ijligature?

In order to parse the text so that ij is mapped to \ijligature, you
probably have to make the "i" active and check if the next char is
"j" and if yes, replace it with \ijligature. Don't think about it.

Patrick

* Re: Re: ligatures?
@ 2003-05-12 22:04       ` Bruce D'Arcus
From: Bruce D'Arcus @ 2003-05-12 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday, May 12, 2003, at 05:27  PM, Patrick Gundlach wrote:

>> The strategy he used does not use virtual fonts.
>
> Who is "he" in this case? Adam?

Yes.  And me too.

>> It involved running afm2tfm (via texfont) on the afms to extract the
>> glyphs using different encodings.
>
> But afm2tfm gives you the vf's! And how can you reencode a font
> without vf's? Are you doing this in the mapfile?

OK, I don't fully understand virtual fonts, but let's take an example:

You have a font with 1,000 + glyphs (an OpenType Pro font).  You take
texnansi as your base encoding, and create a variant encoding that
replaces regular figures with old-style.  You run afm2tfm on the afms
using this variant encoding, and it creates a tfm with all of the
necessary metric information.

When you typeset, you tell it to use texnansi so that TeX uses the
old-style figures.  No need for virtual fonts (as it was explained to
me, you will put TeX into infinite loop if you actually refer to the
vfs in this case, but I don't understand exactly why; I think because
the vf refers to the tfm, which refers back to the vf.).

Bruec