* PDF document statistics (character count incl. spaces)?
@ 2015-02-01  8:31 Jörg Weger
From: Jörg Weger @ 2015-02-01  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there a way to report the “character count including spaces” of the
resulting PDF in ConTeXt?

Greetings Jörg

* Re: PDF document statistics (character count incl. spaces)?
@ 2015-02-01 19:11 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2015-02-01 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 1 Feb 2015, Jörg Weger wrote:

> Is there a way to report the “character count including spaces” of the
> resulting PDF in ConTeXt?

Given that these counts are never accurate, how about

   pdftotext filename

followed by

    wc filename

Aditya

* Re: PDF document statistics (character count incl. spaces)?
@ 2015-02-01 21:06   ` Jörg Weger
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Jörg Weger @ 2015-02-01 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is the character count “wc --char <textfile>” returns with or without
blank spaces? (Which is important for me.) “man wc” doesn’t talk about that.

I had hoped there was a better way than to edit the result of
“pdftotext” in my text editor or in libreoffice writer (deleting
unnecessary carriage returns and spaces by searching for regular
expressions) which are able to do the count I need. In fact I had hoped
that ConTeXt was able to count the characters and spaces it renders to
PDF (is that theoretically possible?) …

Greetings Jörg

@ 2015-02-01 21:12     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2015-02-01 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 01.02.2015 um 22:06 schrieb Jörg Weger <joerg73.muc@googlemail.com>:
>
> Is the character count “wc --char <textfile>” returns with or without blank spaces? (Which is important for me.) “man wc” doesn’t talk about that.
>
> I had hoped there was a better way than to edit the result of “pdftotext” in my text editor or in libreoffice writer (deleting unnecessary carriage returns and spaces by searching for regular expressions) which are able to do the count I need. In fact I had hoped that ConTeXt was able to count the characters and spaces it renders to PDF (is that theoretically possible?) …

ConTeXt has an option to count the words (you find the result in <jobname>.words) in a document
but words words shorter than four letters aren’t taken into account.

\setupspellchecking[state=start,method=2]

\starttext
\input knuth
\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: PDF document statistics (character count incl. spaces)?
@ 2015-02-01 21:32       ` Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد
From: Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد @ 2015-02-01 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 01 Feb 2015 14:12:54 -0700, Wolfgang Schuster
<schuster.wolfgang@gmail.com> wrote:

> \setupspellchecking[state=start,method=2]
> \starttext
> \input knuth
> \stoptext

Slightly off-topic: Just as Wolfgang's reply came in I was setting up a
new version of

http://tinyspell.com/

Editor-based spell-checkers are usually not very useful (although some
LaTeX-centric editors are pretty good at it.) I never knew about
\setupspellchecking before now. Perhaps it could evolve into something
very useful.

Part of spell-checking involves getting uppercase vs lowercase right. I
see that the .words output of \setupspellchecking ignores case, and treats
'-' (the simple dash) as a word separator. I'd like to see this evolve
into something more precise.

> words shorter than four letters aren’t taken into account.

I get *some* words shorter than four letters in the output, so there must
be some other logic going on...

Thanks for pointing out this utility, Wolfgang, and

Best wishes
Idris
--
Idris Samawi Hamid
Professor of Philosophy

* Re: PDF document statistics (character count incl. spaces)?
@ 2015-02-01 22:11         ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2015-02-01 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 01.02.2015 um 22:32 schrieb Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد <ishamid@colostate.edu>:
>
>> words shorter than four letters aren’t taken into account.
>
> I get *some* words shorter than four letters in the output, so there must be some other logic going on…

Do you have a few examples?

Wolfgang

* Re: PDF document statistics (character count incl. spaces)?
@ 2015-02-01 22:27           ` Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد
From: Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد @ 2015-02-01 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 01 Feb 2015 15:11:48 -0700, Wolfgang Schuster
<schuster.wolfgang@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Am 01.02.2015 um 22:32 schrieb Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد
>> <ishamid@colostate.edu>:
>>
>>> words shorter than four letters aren’t taken into account.
>>
>> I get *some* words shorter than four letters in the output, so there
>> must be some other logic going on…
>
> Do you have a few examples?

A quick one:

=======
\setupspellchecking[state=start,method=2]

\starttext
Dār is the Arabic word for home.
\stoptext
=======
--
Idris Samawi Hamid
Professor of Philosophy

* Re: PDF document statistics (character count incl. spaces)?
@ 2015-02-01 23:56     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2015-02-01 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2/1/2015 10:06 PM, Jörg Weger wrote:
> Is the character count “wc --char <textfile>” returns with or without
> blank spaces? (Which is important for me.) “man wc” doesn’t talk about
> that.
>
> I had hoped there was a better way than to edit the result of
> “pdftotext” in my text editor or in libreoffice writer (deleting
> unnecessary carriage returns and spaces by searching for regular
> expressions) which are able to do the count I need. In fact I had hoped
> that ConTeXt was able to count the characters and spaces it renders to
> PDF (is that theoretically possible?) …

it's not too hard so maybe when i'm bored or see a good reason ..

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2015-02-02  9:20       ` Keith Schultz
From: Keith Schultz @ 2015-02-02  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello All,

As a linguist, I can say that not counting words that are shorter is an absolute NO-GO
for an accurate word count and thereby character count!

See below, for a non representative proof !

> Am 01.02.2015 um 22:12 schrieb Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@gmail.com>:

[snip, snip]

> ConTeXt has an option to count the words (you find the result in <jobname>.words) in a document
> but words words shorter than four letters aren’t taken into account.
word length under 4 characters  :   10
word length =< 4 chars                 :   20

here you are missing a third of the words! That is 30%

regards
	Keith

* Re: PDF document statistics (character count incl. spaces)?
@ 2015-02-02 15:39         ` Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2015-02-02 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 2 Feb 2015 10:20:15 +0100
Keith Schultz <keithjschultz@icloud.com> wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> As a linguist, I can say that not counting words that are shorter is
> an absolute NO-GO for an accurate word count and thereby character
> count!
>
> See below, for a non representative proof !
>
> > Am 01.02.2015 um 22:12 schrieb Wolfgang Schuster
> > <schuster.wolfgang@gmail.com>:
> >
> [snip, snip]
>
> > ConTeXt has an option to count the words (you find the result in
> > <jobname>.words) in a document but words words shorter than four
> > letters aren’t taken into account.
> word length under 4 characters  :   10
> word length =< 4 chars                 :   20
>
> here you are missing a third of the words! That is 30%
>
> regards
> 	Keith

See also:
Zipf, G. K. (1949), "Human Behavior and the Principle of Least Effort",
Cambridge, MA: Addison-Wesley.

in particular, Chapter 2: On the Economy of Words.

As well as:
Shannon, C. E. (1951), "The redundancy of English", Cybernetics,
248-272.

54% for English, so we can afford to be sloppy (wch s wy txt compr qte
ll).

Alan

* Re: PDF document statistics (character count incl. spaces)?
@ 2015-02-02 16:55           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2015-02-02 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2/2/2015 4:39 PM, Alan BRASLAU wrote:

>>> ConTeXt has an option to count the words (you find the result in
>>> <jobname>.words) in a document but words words shorter than four
>>> letters aren’t taken into account.
>> word length under 4 characters  :   10
>> word length =< 4 chars                 :   20
>>
>> here you are missing a third of the words! That is 30%

this feature relates to (simple) spell checking and collectign words for
dedicated spell check lists and, 4 chars is nearly always avalid word
which is why we discard them

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2015-02-02 20:45     ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2015-02-02 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2015-02-01, at 22:06, Jörg Weger <joerg73.muc@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Is the character count “wc --char <textfile>” returns with or without
> blank spaces? (Which is important for me.) “man wc” doesn’t talk about that.
>
> I had hoped there was a better way than to edit the result of
> “pdftotext” in my text editor or in libreoffice writer (deleting
> unnecessary carriage returns and spaces by searching for regular
> expressions) which are able to do the count I need. In fact I had hoped
> that ConTeXt was able to count the characters and spaces it renders to
> PDF (is that theoretically possible?) …

I am pretty sure that you can make sed filter out blank characters.  So
then you can just chain pdftotext, sed and wc.

OTOH, here's a relevant question (and a simple answer) on SO.  (It seems
to count newlines, though.)

JFF, I've just coded this in Emacs Lisp:

;; Count non-blank characters in a buffer

(defun how-many-visible-chars ()
    "Count visible (i.e., other than spaces, tabs and newlines)
characters in the buffer."
  (interactive)
  (let ((count 0))
    (save-excursion
      (goto-char (point-min))
      (while (not (eobp))
	(unless (looking-at-p "[ \t\n]")
	  (setq count (1+ count)))
	(forward-char)))
    (message "%d visible characters" count)))

It's terribly unoptimized, but I ran it on a 300+ kB file on my low-end
netbook and it ran in something like 2 seconds, so it's not that bad in
practice.  Also, it's not well-coded: it should e.g. return the number
instead of displaying the message when called non-interactively, it
might take active region into account etc. - but as a proof-of-concept,
it works surprisingly well (i.e., fast).

> Greetings Jörg

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University

* Re: PDF document statistics (character count incl. spaces)?
@ 2015-02-02 22:39       ` Jörg Weger
From: Jörg Weger @ 2015-02-02 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

So I hope you might get bored once in a while before I have to write my
bachelor thesis :)

Greetings Jörg

@ 2015-02-03  3:19             ` Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2015-02-03  3:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Hagen; +Cc: ntg-context

On Mon, 2 Feb 2015 17:55:35 +0100
Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> this feature relates to (simple) spell checking and collectign words
> for dedicated spell check lists and, 4 chars is nearly always avalid
> word which is why we discard them

English is rich in "four-letter words"!

Alan ;-)