* Mixed page formats
@ 2003-03-21 21:38 cohsb
From: cohsb @ 2003-03-21 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I'm creating a usual document with the page format A4 portrait. But I have 2
special cases.
a) Some tables and figures do not fit on a portrait page, but should be
"landscaped" together with their caption. The page header and footer should
remain in portrait format. So, we have a "mixed" page.
b) Some pages with figures are printed on A3 landscape, the paper is folded
afterwards to fit into the binding.

Now: Is there a method to handle that with Context directly without manually
creating PDFs and insert them in a second stage in the document? I'd really
like to avoid that to get the numbering right.

Again, many thanks in advance for your advice.

Cheers, Chris.

* Re: Mixed page formats
@ 2003-03-21 22:36 ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2003-03-21 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

please try the file below and ask again if you need more help.

\showframe
\starttext
\input tufte
\page
\rotate [width=\textheight,
         height=\textwidth,
         rotation=90]
    {\placetable{My Caption}{
    \starttabulate[|p|p|]
    \NC \input tufte \NC \input tufte \NC\NR
    \stoptabulate
}}

\input tufte
\page
\setuppapersize[A3,landscape][A3,landscape]

\input tufte

% and back again
\page
\setuppapersize[A4,portrait][A4,portrait]
\input tufte

\stoptext

Patrick

* Re: Re: Mixed page formats
@ 2003-03-22 15:29   ` cohsb
From: cohsb @ 2003-03-22 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Patrick,

your snippet produced the expected results with one difference / remaining
problem:
On the A3 page, only the left half of the space is used, i.e. the right
(additional)
half of the sheet is empty. The frames indicate, that the width is to small.
Do I have to explicitly extend it by setuplayout or is there a simpler or
more correct to achieve it?

I have actually looked for a rotate command but I didn't find it. Is it
undocumented?

Thanks a lot for your assistance, Chris.

> Hello,
>
> please try the file below and ask again if you need more help.

> \showframe
> \starttext
> \input tufte
> \page
> \rotate [width=\textheight,
>          height=\textwidth,
>          rotation=90]
>     {\placetable{My Caption}{
>     \starttabulate[|p|p|]
>     \NC \input tufte \NC \input tufte \NC\NR
>     \stoptabulate
> }}
>

> \input tufte
> \page
> \setuppapersize[A3,landscape][A3,landscape]
>
> \input tufte
>
> % and back again
> \page
> \setuppapersize[A4,portrait][A4,portrait]
> \input tufte
>
> \stoptext

* Re: Mixed page formats
@ 2003-03-22 15:44     ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2003-03-22 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

cohsb@gmx.de writes:

Hello Chris,

> your snippet produced the expected results with one difference / remaining
> problem:

> On the A3 page, only the left half of the space is used, i.e. the right
> (additional)
> half of the sheet is empty. The frames indicate, that the width is to small.
> Do I have to explicitly extend it by setuplayout or is there a simpler or
> more correct to achieve it?

Well, my code gives the result you want: A3 landscape, text spanning
the complete width (except for left/right margin).

Are you using pdfetex as a backend? The exact code snipped I posted?
What is your ConTeXt version?

I could send you a pdf file with my code snippet.

> I have actually looked for a rotate command but I didn't find it. Is it
> undocumented?

No, it is in the beginners manual and in the quick reference. And
also in the source :) and in the very best documentation: the mailing
list archive.

Patrick

* Re: Mixed page formats (figures)
@ 2003-04-02 17:51     ` cohsb
From: cohsb @ 2003-04-02 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I asked a question about mixed page formats and got a working solution, s.
below. Unforunately, it does not work with figures (PDF), s. my snippet:

\useexternalfigure[EnrichmentRulesBeispiel1][EnrichmentRulesBeispiel1]
\rotate [width=\textheight,
         height=\textwidth,
         rotation=90]
    {
\placefigure[fig:EnrichmentRulesBeispiel1]{Beispiel: Regeln für eine
komplexe Transformation}
{\externalfigure[EnrichmentRulesBeispiel1][factor=broad]}
}

Interestingly, ConTexT takes care of the width and heigth configuratios,
i.e. the figure is much too wide. But it is not rotated. If I leave out the
\rotate command, the figure appears in the correct scale, unrotated though.

Btw: Is there a way to let the rotated result float, so that it uses a page
alone? \page forces a break, so I would have to place the commands at the
correct position.

Thanks a lot, Chris.

--- Weitergeleitete Nachricht / Forwarded Message ---
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2003 16:29:07 +0100 (MET)
From: cohsb@gmx.de
To: ntg-context@ntg.nl
Subject: Re: [NTG-context] Re: Mixed page formats

@ 2003-04-04  2:02       ` Guy Worthington
From: Guy Worthington @ 2003-04-04  2:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

cohsb@gmx.de writes:

> I asked a question about mixed page formats and got a working solution, s.
> below. Unforunately, it does not work with figures (PDF), s. my snippet:
>
> \useexternalfigure[EnrichmentRulesBeispiel1][EnrichmentRulesBeispiel1]
> \rotate [width=\textheight,
>          height=\textwidth,
>          rotation=90]
>     {
> \placefigure[fig:EnrichmentRulesBeispiel1]{Beispiel: Regeln für eine
> komplexe Transformation}
> {\externalfigure[EnrichmentRulesBeispiel1][factor=broad]}
> }

> Is there a way to let the rotated result float

If you're willing to sacrifice your caption, you can rearrange the
order of your commands.  For instance:

\placefigure [page][fig:EnrichmentRulesBeispiel1]{none}
               {\rotate[rotation=90,width=\textheight,height=\textwidth]
                   {\externalfigure[EnrichmentRulesBeispiel1]
                       \blank[medium]
                       \midaligned{%
                           Beispiel: Regeln für eine komplexe Transformation}}}