I just compared MkII and MkIV in this respect, and the MkII fraction looks more symmetric (more correct) than the MkIV version. Here is the MkII code: \usetypescript[palatino][ec] \setupbodyfont[palatino] \starttext \startformula {3\over4}\quad {1\over2} \stopformula \stoptext I've attached (cropped) images to show the difference. Another difference is in the fonts. For the MkII version, pdffonts gives IVJLXF+TeXGyrePagella-Regular Type 1 Custom yes yes no 4 0 IVJLXF+TeXGyrePagella-Regular Type 1 Custom yes yes no 5 0 For the MkIV version, pdffonts shows a math font (maybe for the thicker fractional bar): EUEJAR+TeXGyrePagella-Regular CID Type 0C Identity-H yes yes yes 18 0 UPBTGS+TeXGyrePagellaMath-Regular CID Type 0C Identity-H yes yes yes 19 0 If you have suggestions for how to change, slightly, the numerator and denominator placement when using alatino, let me know. Maybe the entire problem is that the division line is thicker in Palatino math than in the text font, and maybe sits below the math axis (so it gets too close to the denominator)? -Sanjoy