* The Context styles library.
@ 2003-04-14 19:08 John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2003-04-14 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am going through the Context styles library (colo-ini.tex and friends)
to figure out what the various files do. A portion of them come with
sample demo code and a smaller portion of the demos work on my system.

Am I reinventing the wheel? Is there a document somewhere that says:
``This is what these examples are all about''? I know that there are
comments at the head of each file but these can be a bit terse.

Not a priority question :-)

John Culleton

* Re: The Context styles library.
@ 2003-04-14 19:28 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-04-14 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 15:08 14/04/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>I am going through the Context styles library (colo-ini.tex and friends)
>to figure out what the various files do. A portion of them come with
>sample demo code and a smaller portion of the demos work on my system.
>
>Am I reinventing the wheel? Is there a document somewhere that says:
>``This is what these examples are all about''? I know that there are
>comments at the head of each file but these can be a bit terse.
>
>Not a priority question :-)

show-pre.pdf does tell you a bit

Hans

                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: The Context styles library.
@ 2003-04-14 20:15 ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2003-04-14 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

John Culleton <john@wexfordpress.com> writes:

Hello John,

> I am going through the Context styles library (colo-ini.tex and friends)
> to figure out what the various files do. A portion of them come with
> sample demo code and a smaller portion of the demos work on my system.

If you just want to see the demos in these files, copy a specific
file to a new directory and run `texexec --module --pdf colo-ini.tex'
(and others). You need the nl interface for those documented modules.

Patrick

* Re: Re: The Context styles library.
@ 2003-04-14 23:09   ` John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2003-04-14 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday 14 April 2003 04:15 pm, Patrick Gundlach wrote:
> John Culleton <john@wexfordpress.com> writes:
>
> Hello John,
>
> > I am going through the Context styles library (colo-ini.tex and friends)
> > to figure out what the various files do. A portion of them come with
> > sample demo code and a smaller portion of the demos work on my system.
>
> If you just want to see the demos in these files, copy a specific
> file to a new directory and run `texexec --module --pdf colo-ini.tex'
> (and others). You need the nl interface for those documented modules.
>

> Patrick

Now I am confused again. What is an "nl interface"? does that mean that
I must recreate Context to accept Dutch language? I think I did it that
way last time but I don't remember.

John C.

* Re: The Context styles library.
@ 2003-04-15  7:04     ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2003-04-15  7:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

John Culleton <john@wexfordpress.com> writes:

>> Hello John,

[...]

> Now I am confused again. What is an "nl interface"? does that mean that
> I must recreate Context to accept Dutch language?

right. You probably know it, but just for the sake of completeness:
`texexec --make (--alone) nl' does the trick.

Patrick

* Columns
@ 2003-04-17 12:06   ` Sytse Knypstra
From: Sytse Knypstra @ 2003-04-17 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I am using two columns, but the command \column which should force a
transition to the next column does not work.
Here is a small example (in dutch):

\steluitvoerin[pdftex]
\stelkolommenin[n=2]
\starttekst
\startkolommen
Tekst 1.
\kolom
Tekst 2.

Tekst 3.
\stopkolommen
\stoptekst

Regards,

Sytse Knypstra

S.Knypstra@eco.rug.nl

* Re: Columns
@ 2003-04-17 12:28     ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2003-04-17 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sytse Knypstra <S.Knypstra@eco.rug.nl> writes:

Hello,

> I am using two columns, but the command \column which should force a
> transition to the next column does not work.
> Here is a small example (in dutch):

[...example...]

that looks OK here:

Tekst 1.                   Tekst 2.
                           Tekst 3.

Isn't this what you want to get?

(ConTeXt  ver: 2003.3.17  fmt: 2003.3.18  int: dutch  mes: dutch)

Patrick

* Re: Re: Columns
@ 2003-04-17 13:43       ` Sytse Knypstra
From: Sytse Knypstra @ 2003-04-17 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 4/17/2003 02:28, you wrote:
>Sytse Knypstra <S.Knypstra@eco.rug.nl> writes:
>
>Hello,
>
> > I am using two columns, but the command \column which should force a
> > transition to the next column does not work.
> > Here is a small example (in dutch):
>
>[...example...]
>

>that looks OK here:
>

>Tekst 1.                   Tekst 2.
>                            Tekst 3.
>

>Isn't this what you want to get?
>
>(ConTeXt  ver: 2003.3.17  fmt: 2003.3.18  int: dutch  mes: dutch)

Yes, that's what I would like to get, but in fact I get:

Tekst 1.                       Tekst 3.
Tekst 2.

And if I use: balance=no, I get:

Tekst 1.
Tekst 2.
Tekst 3.

>(ConTeXt  ver: 2002.8.23  fmt: 2002.11.25  int: dutch  mes: dutch)

Maybe there have been relevant changes since august last year?

Sytse

* Re: Columns
@ 2003-04-17 13:54         ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2003-04-17 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sytse Knypstra <S.Knypstra@eco.rug.nl> writes:

Hi,

>>(ConTeXt  ver: 2002.8.23  fmt: 2002.11.25  int: dutch  mes: dutch)
>
> Maybe there have been relevant changes since august last year?

You must be joking!

(Seriously; I have no idea what the changes were since last August;
 you should really try a recent ConTeXt version.)

Patrick

* Re: Re: Columns
@ 2003-04-17 15:07         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-04-17 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 15:43 17/04/2003 +0200, Sytse Knypstra wrote:

>At 4/17/2003 02:28, you wrote:
>>Sytse Knypstra <S.Knypstra@eco.rug.nl> writes:
>>
>>Hello,
>>
>> > I am using two columns, but the command \column which should force a
>> > transition to the next column does not work.
>> > Here is a small example (in dutch):
>>
>>[...example...]
>>

>>that looks OK here:
>>

>>Tekst 1.                   Tekst 2.
>>                            Tekst 3.
>>

>>Isn't this what you want to get?
>>
>>(ConTeXt  ver: 2003.3.17  fmt: 2003.3.18  int: dutch  mes: dutch)
>

>Yes, that's what I would like to get, but in fact I get:
>
>Tekst 1.                       Tekst 3.
>Tekst 2.
>
>And if I use: balance=no, I get:
>
>Tekst 1.
>Tekst 2.
>Tekst 3.
>
>>(ConTeXt  ver: 2002.8.23  fmt: 2002.11.25  int: dutch  mes: dutch)
>
>Maybe there have been relevant changes since august last year?

indeed, there has been some changes to the \column command:

\column
\column[yes]
\column[preference]

(you may try, in your version:

\def\column
   {\par
    {\testrulewidth\zeropoint\ruledvskip\teksthoogte}
    \penalty-200
    \vskip-\teksthoogte
    \prevdepth-\thousandpoint} % signals top of column

which equals yes)

@ 2003-04-22  8:48           ` Sytse Knypstra
From: Sytse Knypstra @ 2003-04-22  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you Hans. This works OK.

 >> Maybe there have been relevant changes since august last year?

In order to eliminate misunderstanding: here I meant relevant with respect
to the \column command.
I did not mean to underestimate the enormous work Hans and others are doing.

Sytse

 > indeed, there has been some changes to the \column command:
 >
 > \column
 > \column[yes]
 > \column[preference]
 >
 > (you may try, in your version:
 >
 > \def\column
 >    {\par
 >     {\testrulewidth\zeropoint\ruledvskip\teksthoogte}
 >     \penalty-200
 >     \vskip-\teksthoogte
 >     \prevdepth-\thousandpoint} % signals top of column
 >
 > which equals yes)
 >
 > Hans

* Re: Re: Columns
@ 2003-04-22  9:18             ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-04-22  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 10:48 22/04/2003 +0200, Sytse Knypstra wrote:

>Thank you Hans. This works OK.
>
> >> Maybe there have been relevant changes since august last year?
>
>In order to eliminate misunderstanding: here I meant relevant with respect
>to the \column command.
>I did not mean to underestimate the enormous work Hans and others are doing.

ah, no misunderstanding here; as long as i don't keep up with manuals ...

i'll post a preliminary manual on columnsets later this day

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: columns
@ 2013-10-03 20:12             ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2013-10-03 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Oct 3, 2013 at 6:55 PM, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> On 10/3/2013 12:35 PM, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>

>> Am 03.10.2013 um 12:26 schrieb H. van der Meer <H.vanderMeer@uva.nl>:
>>
>>  If I remember well, framedtext sets a localhsize for the width of its
>>> content. I guess that is why boxedcolumns stays within the width specified.
>>> But is there a specific reason why mixedcolumns in general does not?
>>>

>> The global settings for mixedcolumns are
>>
>>     \setupmixedcolumns
>>       [maxwidth=\makeupwidth]
>>
>> which forces columns to use the width of the textblock but boxedcolumns
>> uses this
>>
>>     \definemixedcolumns
>>       [boxedcolumns]
>>       [maxwidth=\availablehsize]
>>
>> where the width of the columns depends on the available width of the
>> environment,
>> e.g. in a narrower environment or in a frame the you get shorter columns.
>>

> also, boxedcolumns, as the name says, are for use in boxes while by
> default mixedcolumns (unless set up as boxed) are operating at the page
> level (the so called mvl)
>
> For the curious:
mvl is the main vertical list ,
see
books.google.com
"The advanced Texbook"
pag 295

--
luigi

* Re: columns
@ 2013-10-03 16:55           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2013-10-03 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

> Am 03.10.2013 um 12:26 schrieb H. van der Meer <H.vanderMeer@uva.nl>:
>
>> If I remember well, framedtext sets a localhsize for the width of its content. I guess that is why boxedcolumns stays within the width specified. But is there a specific reason why mixedcolumns in general does not?
>
> The global settings for mixedcolumns are
>
>     \setupmixedcolumns
>       [maxwidth=\makeupwidth]
>
> which forces columns to use the width of the textblock but boxedcolumns uses this
>
>     \definemixedcolumns
>       [boxedcolumns]
>       [maxwidth=\availablehsize]
>
> where the width of the columns depends on the available width of the environment,
> e.g. in a narrower environment or in a frame the you get shorter columns.

also, boxedcolumns, as the name says, are for use in boxes while by
default mixedcolumns (unless set up as boxed) are operating at the page
level (the so called mvl)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: columns
@ 2013-10-03 10:35         ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2013-10-03 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 03.10.2013 um 12:26 schrieb H. van der Meer <H.vanderMeer@uva.nl>:

> If I remember well, framedtext sets a localhsize for the width of its content. I guess that is why boxedcolumns stays within the width specified. But is there a specific reason why mixedcolumns in general does not?

The global settings for mixedcolumns are

   \setupmixedcolumns
     [maxwidth=\makeupwidth]

which forces columns to use the width of the textblock but boxedcolumns uses this

   \definemixedcolumns
     [boxedcolumns]
     [maxwidth=\availablehsize]

where the width of the columns depends on the available width of the environment,
e.g. in a narrower environment or in a frame the you get shorter columns.

Wolfgang

* Re: columns
@ 2013-10-03 10:26       ` H. van der Meer
From: H. van der Meer @ 2013-10-03 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

If I remember well, framedtext sets a localhsize for the width of its content. I guess that is why boxedcolumns stays within the width specified. But is there a specific reason why mixedcolumns in general does not?

Hans van der Meer

On 3 okt. 2013, at 12:07, Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@gmail.com>
 wrote:

> Am 03.10.2013 um 12:02 schrieb "H. van der Meer" <H.vanderMeer@uva.nl>:
>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> But I think mixedcolumns has to solve a problem width the width of the frametext. Whereas boxedcolumns honors the width of the enclosing framedtext, mixedcolumns does not. See the example.
>
> Boxedcolumns are a instance of mixedcolumns and are defined as
>
>   \definemixedcolumns[boxedcolumns]
>

> You can also use them this way:
>
>   \startmixedcolumns[boxedcolumns]
>   …
>   \stopmixedcolumns
>

> Wolfgang

* Re: columns
@ 2013-10-03 10:07     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2013-10-03 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2013-10-03 10:02   ` H. van der Meer
From: H. van der Meer @ 2013-10-03 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks,

But I think mixedcolumns has to solve a problem width the width of the frametext. Whereas boxedcolumns honors the width of the enclosing framedtext, mixedcolumns does not. See the example.

% NOT OK WIDTH NOT RESPECTED
\startframedtext[width=.8\makeupwidth,align=verytolerant]
\startmixedcolumns[n=2,separator=rule,balance=yes]
\input tufte
\stopmixedcolumns
\stopframedtext
\blank
% OK
\startframedtext[width=.8\makeupwidth,align=verytolerant]
\startboxedcolumns[n=2,separator=rule,balance=yes]
\input tufte
\stopboxedcolumns
\stopframedtext

Hans van der Meer

[-- Attachment #2: columns-inside.pdf --]

On 3 okt. 2013, at 11:09, Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@gmail.com> wrote:

> Am 03.10.2013 um 10:21 schrieb H. van der Meer <H.vanderMeer@uva.nl>:
>
>> I have some difficulties with columns inside a framedtext. The example below shows that columns does not work inside framedtext, whereas simplecolumns does. However, the latter does not show rules between the columns. Can I have both?
>>
>> Is columns definitely not working here or is it temporarily until something is fixed? Or will simplecolumns be extended to show the rules?
>>
>> % test columns within framedtext
>> \starttext
>> \startframedtext[width=\makeupwidth]
>> \startcolumns[n=2,rule=on,balance=yes]
>> \input tufte
>> \stopcolumns
>> \stopframedtext
>> \startframedtext[width=\makeupwidth]
>> \blank
>> \startsimplecolumns[n=2,rule=on,balance=yes]
>> \input tufte
>> \stopsimplecolumns
>> \stopframedtext
>> \stoptext
>
> The new mixedcolumns environment can be used to the typeset columns in a frame.
>
> There is also a predefined bolxedcolumns environment which changes the width of
> the columns when you use it in \startframed etc.
>
> \setupalign[verytolerant]
>
> \starttext
>
> \startboxedcolumns[separator=rule]
> \input tufte
> \stopboxedcolumns
>
> \startframedtext[width=max,align=verytolerant]
> \startboxedcolumns[separator=rule]
> \input tufte
> \stopboxedcolumns
> \stopframedtext
>
> \stoptext
>
> Wolfgang

* Re: columns
@ 2013-10-03  9:09 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2013-10-03  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 03.10.2013 um 10:21 schrieb H. van der Meer <H.vanderMeer@uva.nl>:

> I have some difficulties with columns inside a framedtext. The example below shows that columns does not work inside framedtext, whereas simplecolumns does. However, the latter does not show rules between the columns. Can I have both?
>
> Is columns definitely not working here or is it temporarily until something is fixed? Or will simplecolumns be extended to show the rules?
>
> % test columns within framedtext
> \starttext
> \startframedtext[width=\makeupwidth]
> \startcolumns[n=2,rule=on,balance=yes]
> \input tufte
> \stopcolumns
> \stopframedtext
> \startframedtext[width=\makeupwidth]
> \blank
> \startsimplecolumns[n=2,rule=on,balance=yes]
> \input tufte
> \stopsimplecolumns
> \stopframedtext
> \stoptext

The new mixedcolumns environment can be used to the typeset columns in a frame.

There is also a predefined bolxedcolumns environment which changes the width of
the columns when you use it in \startframed etc.

\setupalign[verytolerant]

\starttext

\startboxedcolumns[separator=rule]
\input tufte
\stopboxedcolumns

\startframedtext[width=max,align=verytolerant]
\startboxedcolumns[separator=rule]
\input tufte
\stopboxedcolumns
\stopframedtext

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* columns
@ 2013-10-03  8:21 H. van der Meer
From: H. van der Meer @ 2013-10-03  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NTG ConTeXt

@ 2007-07-03  9:15 ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2007-07-03  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi,

(repost - anybody got an idea on this question?)

> Is it possible that align=yes/no is incorrect? See
>
> http://source.contextgarden.net/tex/context/base/page-mul.tex?search=%40%40klalign
>
> (search for @@klalign)

\setupcolumns accept align=yes,no,text but the source seem to indicate
that only 'text' is allowed which will be passed to \setupalign -
which itself does not accept 'yes' or 'no'.

Any comments?

Patrick

* Re: columns
@ 2007-06-29 18:37     ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2007-06-29 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Quoting Patrick Gundlach <patrick@gundla.ch>:

> [...]
>
>>> in \setupcolumns, what is ntop=<number>
>>
>>  From the source: the minimum number op balanced top lines
>>
>> Consider
>> \starttext
>> \startcolumns[n=2,ntop=15,balance=yes]
>>   \dorecurse{20}{This is a test line to check for balancing. }
>> \stopcolumns
>> \page
>> \startcolumns[n=2,ntop=5,balance=yes]
>>   \dorecurse{20}{This is a test line to check for balancing. }
>> \stopcolumns
>> \stoptext
>
> This seems to be a binary switch, right? no difference in your example
> between ntop=15 and ntop=13.

Yes. The way I understand this is: if the number of lines in the column
after balancing are greater than ntop, do column balancing (if enabled)
otherwise not. For example,

\showgrid
\starttext
\dostepwiserecurse{5}{15}{1}{
\section{\recurselevel}
\startcolumns[n=2,ntop=\recurselevel,balance=yes]
  \dorecurse{20}{This is a test line to check for balancing. }
\stopcolumns
\page}
\stoptext

Aditya

* Re: columns
@ 2007-06-29 17:39   ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2007-06-29 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

[...]

@ 2007-06-29 17:13 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2007-06-29 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Quoting Patrick Gundlach <patrick@gundla.ch>:

> Hi,
>
> in \setupcolumns, what is ntop=<number>

 From the source: the minimum number op balanced top lines

Consider
\starttext
\startcolumns[n=2,ntop=15,balance=yes]
  \dorecurse{20}{This is a test line to check for balancing. }
\stopcolumns
\page
\startcolumns[n=2,ntop=5,balance=yes]
  \dorecurse{20}{This is a test line to check for balancing. }
\stopcolumns
\stoptext

> and height=<dimension>? I've
> played with these parameters but couldn't see any effect.

I could not get any visible effect from height=...

> Is it possible that align=yes/no is incorrect? See

Dont't know.

Aditya

* columns
@ 2007-06-29 16:10 Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2007-06-29 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi,

in \setupcolumns, what is ntop=<number> and height=<dimension>? I've