* Context -> html
@ 2002-08-11 21:50 John Devereux
From: John Devereux @ 2002-08-11 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi everyone,

As far as I can tell, there does not seem to be any support for
producing html versions of Context documents. Is this correct? I would
very much like to be able to produce html and pdf versions of a
document. Any ideas?

--
Regards,

John Devereux

* Re: Context -> html
@ 2002-08-12  4:49 ` Berend de Boer
From: Berend de Boer @ 2002-08-12  4:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

John Devereux <jd@plastech-controls.com> writes:

> As far as I can tell, there does not seem to be any support for
> producing html versions of Context documents. Is this correct? I would
> very much like to be able to produce html and pdf versions of a
> document. Any ideas?

I've written such a converter, and it works reasonably well if you
don't use math. If you use MathML, support for this should be easy to
add. Unfortunately, I've not been able to release/demonstrate it right
now.

You can send me your file, and I'll convert it.

I've a new server with lots more space. When installation is finished,
I hope to make available a simple web interface to convert your
documents. If things are working reasonably well, perhaps we can
include it in the distribution.

--
Live long and prosper,

Berend de Boer

* Re: Context -> html
@ 2002-08-12  7:56   ` John Devereux
From: John Devereux @ 2002-08-12  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Berend de Boer (berend@pobox.com) wrote:
> John Devereux <jd@plastech-controls.com> writes:
>
> > As far as I can tell, there does not seem to be any support for
> > producing html versions of Context documents. Is this correct? I would
> > very much like to be able to produce html and pdf versions of a
> > document. Any ideas?
>
> I've written such a converter, and it works reasonably well if you
> don't use math. If you use MathML, support for this should be easy to
> add. Unfortunately, I've not been able to release/demonstrate it right
> now.
>
> You can send me your file, and I'll convert it.

Berend, thanks very much for the offer, but I was unclear. There
eventually would be lots of documents, so I would need to have the
capability to do it myself!

The main attraction of the TeX systems for me is the possibility of
*automatically* producing several versions of a document from a single
source, using a makefile. Basically I want to be able to have, say, a
product manual written in Context. The manual would have lots of
"#includes" pulling in sections that are common to all products. A
makefile would then automatically generate several variations (A4 and
letter size PDF's, versions with different distributors' logos &
addresses, html version for web site). This all seems possible in
LaTeX, but Context looks to be so much nicer otherwise! (I am a newbie
in both at present).

@ 2002-08-12  9:14     ` Berend de Boer
From: Berend de Boer @ 2002-08-12  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

John Devereux <jd@plastech-controls.com> writes:

> The main attraction of the TeX systems for me is the possibility of
> *automatically* producing several versions of a document from a single
> source, using a makefile. Basically I want to be able to have, say, a
> product manual written in Context. The manual would have lots of
> "#includes" pulling in sections that are common to all products. A
> makefile would then automatically generate several variations (A4 and
> letter size PDF's, versions with different distributors' logos &
> addresses, html version for web site). This all seems possible in
> LaTeX, but Context looks to be so much nicer otherwise! (I am a newbie
> in both at present).

If you really want that, code your files in XML (perhaps DocBook), you
can convert that to ConTeXt, HTML and whatever perhaps more safe then
coding with ConTeXt and attempting to make HTML from that.

--
Live long and prosper,

Berend de Boer

* RE: Context -> html
@ 2002-08-12 10:07     ` David Somers
From: David Somers @ 2002-08-12 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

> * Berend de Boer (berend@pobox.com) wrote:
> > John Devereux <jd@plastech-controls.com> writes:
> >
> > > As far as I can tell, there does not seem to be any support for
> > > producing html versions of Context documents. Is this correct? I would
> > > very much like to be able to produce html and pdf versions of a
> > > document. Any ideas?
> >
> > I've written such a converter, and it works reasonably well if you
> > don't use math. If you use MathML, support for this should be easy to
> > add. Unfortunately, I've not been able to release/demonstrate it right
> > now.
> >
> > You can send me your file, and I'll convert it.
>
> Berend, thanks very much for the offer, but I was unclear. There
> eventually would be lots of documents, so I would need to have the
> capability to do it myself!

I hate to say this, but "Me too!". I would really appreciate the ability for
Context to be used to generate HTML docs... and like John I've a bunch of
documents to convert. (My "evil-twin" has just appeared and said: if you can
squeeze HTML out of Context, why not go the whole hog and produce HTML that
can then be put through the MS HTML Help compiler... that way, you can use
ConTeXt for PDF, HTML, and HTMLHelp production!)

I've recently started to use Context, and whilst I could never really 'get
into' TeX or LaTeX, I'm really having fun with Context, although I am having
a few newbie problems! Some of the things that have me confused:

I've wrapped the structure of my document with

\startfrontmatter ... \stopfrontmatter
\startbodymatter ... \stopbodymatter
\startbackmatter and \stopbackmatter

What I want to do is have the page numbering in the front matter be in
roman, in the body start at 1 and be in arabic, and in the back matter
continue in arabic. How would I do this?

Also, prior to the \startfrontmatter I enclose within \startstandardmakeup
\stopstandardmakeup a bunch of commands to generate my title pages... is
this correct?

I've got a documement that uses defines (like \def\DOCTYP{Functional
Specification for Release 2002.11}). If I then delete the define and try to
texexec I get a lot of errors... if I delete all the temporary files then
texexec works... I assume this is some kinda texexec problem?

And finally (this is probably for Hans Hagen), after trolling through all
the Context documentation, I'd like to know more about Hasselt! Is there a
whole book about it, or did you just make up the bits of text?

Regards,

David Somers

* Re: Context -> html
@ 2002-08-12 15:31       ` John Devereux
From: John Devereux @ 2002-08-12 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

* David Somers (dsomers@trevezel.com) wrote:

> I hate to say this, but "Me too!". I would really appreciate the ability for
> Context to be used to generate HTML docs... and like John I've a bunch of
> documents to convert. (My "evil-twin" has just appeared and said: if you can
> squeeze HTML out of Context, why not go the whole hog and produce HTML that
> can then be put through the MS HTML Help compiler... that way, you can use
> ConTeXt for PDF, HTML, and HTMLHelp production!)

Now there's a thought....I had not considered help file generation,
but that is also something we have to do.

So is xml the answer? It seems so ugly and verbose, but perhaps I
should investigate it.

--
John

* RE: Context -> html
@ 2002-08-12 17:09         ` David Somers
From: David Somers @ 2002-08-12 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: owner-ntg-context@let.uu.nl [mailto:owner-ntg-context@let.uu.nl]On
> Behalf Of John Devereux
>
> So is xml the answer? It seems so ugly and verbose, but perhaps I
> should investigate it.

See http://jodi.ecs.soton.ac.uk/Articles/v03/i01/Hillesund/ ;-)

Cheers,

David.

* Re: Context -> html
@ 2002-08-13  6:47       ` Berend de Boer
From: Berend de Boer @ 2002-08-13  6:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

"David Somers" <dsomers@trevezel.com> writes:

> I've wrapped the structure of my document with
>
> \startfrontmatter ... \stopfrontmatter
> \startbodymatter ... \stopbodymatter
> \startbackmatter and \stopbackmatter
>
> What I want to do is have the page numbering in the front matter be in
> roman, in the body start at 1 and be in arabic, and in the back matter
> continue in arabic. How would I do this?

Put these after your starts:

\setuppagenumbering[conversion=romannumerals]

or

\setuppagenumbering[conversion=numbers]

Reset page number with:

\setuppagenumber[number=1]

> Also, prior to the \startfrontmatter I enclose within \startstandardmakeup
> \stopstandardmakeup a bunch of commands to generate my title pages... is
> this correct?

Yes.

> I've got a documement that uses defines (like \def\DOCTYP{Functional
> Specification for Release 2002.11}). If I then delete the define and try to
> texexec I get a lot of errors... if I delete all the temporary files then
> texexec works... I assume this is some kinda texexec problem?

Macro's in chapter headers, indexes etc. give all kinds of
problems.

--
Live long and prosper,

Berend de Boer