* Managing errata in documents
@ 2002-01-11 13:03 Bruce Horrocks
From: Bruce Horrocks @ 2002-01-11 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear All,

What is the best way to manage errata for a printed document produced
using ConTeXt?

Suppose that I wish to produce a book that will be published. Obviously,
it is not going to be possible to re-print each time an error is found,
so I would like to be able to collect these together and produce an
errata sheet which can be distributed to those who have the book.

Is there a (simple) way of being able to make and tag the changes in the
original ConTeXt source files but process to produce an errata sheet
rather than a whole new book?

At the moment, the only thing that I can think of to do is to keep two
documents: the original book updated as errors are found, and a separate
errata sheet document which is also updated as each is found.

Does anyone have any experience of either approach that they are able to
share with us?

Regards,
--
Bruce Horrocks
Hampshire

* Re: Managing errata in documents
@ 2002-01-11 14:42 ` Berend de Boer
From: Berend de Boer @ 2002-01-11 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Bruce Horrocks <01.0032@granby.demon.co.uk> writes:

> What is the best way to manage errata for a printed document produced
> using ConTeXt?
>
> Suppose that I wish to produce a book that will be
> published. Obviously, it is not going to be possible to re-print each
> time an error is found, so I would like to be able to collect these
> together and produce an errata sheet which can be distributed to those
> who have the book.
>
> Is there a (simple) way of being able to make and tag the changes in
> the original ConTeXt source files but process to produce an errata
> sheet rather than a whole new book?

I think this is precisely an area where ConTeXt excels. What you could
do is to use \defineblock, look it up in the manual. It should be used
somewhat like this:

\defineblock[ver10] % original version
\defineblock[ver11] % new version

\hideblock[ver10]