From: Olaf Weber <olaf@infovore.xs4all.nl>
Subject: Re: ConTeXt + teTeX 0.9-981012/Linux: SegFault
Date: 19 Oct 1998 19:15:13 +0200	[thread overview]

Tobias Burnus writes:

> concerning TeX/eTeX of teTeX 0.9-981012 Olaf Weber
> <olaf@infovore.xs4all.nl> found the reason for this.

> In texmf.cnf, there is:
>   max_strings.context = 55000
>   max_strings = 15000             % max number of strings

> using 'tex --ini --fmt=context cont-de' the first line is read, but
> when calling tex \&context the second line is read, and since
> cont-de needs 18053 strings, it segment faults.

> If context is linked to tex (ln -s tex context) and tex is called
> 'context' then it doesn't happen.

Also, if the command line is
	tex --progname=context \&context file
things will work.

> (Since in teTeX cont-* is soft linked to pdftex, which presently
> doesn't work, I used (e)TeX and failed.)

> Olaf Weber will provide three patches to solve this bug/problem. See
> teTeX-pretest mailing list.

To be precise, I've made one patch available which should solve the
problem of tex dumping core during the undump.  While investigating
the bug I've seen some other, halfway related, problems which will be
addressed in web2c 7.3.  I don't expect to release patches for those
problems.

--
Olaf Weber