From: Berend de Boer <berend@pobox.com>
Cc: <ntg-context@ntg.nl>
Subject: Re: Headers across the margin and text area
Date: 17 Apr 2001 18:27:21 +0200	[thread overview]

"Duncan Hothersall" <dh@capdm.com> writes:

> I am implementing an existing A4 book layout, double-sided with a wide left
> margin used for notes and exercises. I am trying to redefine the headers so
> that the titles of sections, etc. are set across the whole page including
> the margin.

That means back to the TeX level :-)

With rlap or llap (lookup them up in the TeX book) you can make things
stick out a bit.

A probably not very compilable example would be:

\setuphead
  [section]
  [command=MyHead]

\def\MyHead#1#2%
  {\hss\hbox to \textwidth{\hbox to \mysectionwidth{#1 #2}}}

In this definition I use the \primitive \hss upon which \rlap and
\llap are build.

I make a box as width as the textwidth so TeX doesn't complain. In
that box I make a box that sticks out in the left margin (if it does
not, put the \hss after the 2nd \hbox instead of before).

This example does not wrap #2 if it is too large, you can experiment
with a \vtop or \vbox in the 2nd hbox to make it do that.

> Another question, in a similar vein: I'd like the headers and footers to run
> the full width of the page too (i.e. the text area and the margin). The only
> way I've managed that so far has been to \setuppagenumbering
> [alternative=doublesided]. Unfortunately that made my margin alternate on
> odd and even pages, and I need the margin always to be on the left. Is there
> an obvious combination of \setup[..] type commands that can do this?

Hmm, perhaps

\setupinmargin
  [location=right]

> PS. I have the 13 English chapters of the manual, plus the beginners guide
> and the commands list. Is there any other English language documentation I
> should know about? Thanks.

I think you have everything. You might want to take a look at the
metafun manual.

Groetjes,

Berend. (-: