* lowerleftdoubleninequote
@ 2003-02-09 22:49 Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini
From: Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini @ 2003-02-09 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hallo!

'lowerleftdoubleninequote' in german seems to be an double
lowerleftninequote,
whereas 'upperrightdoublesixquote' seems to be the ligature.

Wolfgang

* Re: lowerleftdoubleninequote
@ 2003-02-10  9:46 ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2003-02-10  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Wolfgang Werners-Lucchini" <wwl@musensturm.de> writes:

Hello Wolfgang,

> 'lowerleftdoubleninequote' in german seems to be an double
> lowerleftninequote,
> whereas 'upperrightdoublesixquote' seems to be the ligature.

actually 'lowerleftdoubleninequote' are two "," without any
kerning. You can add the kerning by:

\definecharacter quotedblbase     {,\kern -.1em,}

Hans: is there any way to make this default when using cmr?

Patrick

* Re: Re: lowerleftdoubleninequote
@ 2003-02-10 21:27   ` Henning Hraban Ramm
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2003-02-10 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> 'lowerleftdoubleninequote' in german seems to be an double
>> lowerleftninequote,
>> whereas 'upperrightdoublesixquote' seems to be the ligature.
> actually 'lowerleftdoubleninequote' are two "," without any
> kerning. You can add the kerning by:
> \definecharacter quotedblbase     {,\kern -.1em,}
>
> Hans: is there any way to make this default when using cmr?

Worse: With some fonts two different commas are used (I guess one from
math mode);
in my opinion we shouldn't make some kerning default, but using the
right glyphs!

Please, Hans!

Grüßlis vom Hraban!
--
www.fiee.net/texnique/
www.ramm.ch/context/

* Re: lowerleftdoubleninequote
@ 2003-02-10 22:25     ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2003-02-10 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Henning Hraban Ramm <hraban@fiee.net> writes:

Hello,

>> \definecharacter quotedblbase     {,\kern -.1em,}
>>
>> Hans: is there any way to make this default when using cmr?
>
> Worse: With some fonts two different commas are used (I guess one from
> math mode);
> in my opinion we shouldn't make some kerning default, but using the
> right glyphs!

If you use ec/texbase1/texnansi encoding, the quotedblbase will be
set to the correct character.

Which encoding are you using?

@ 2003-02-10 22:27     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-02-10 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 10:27 PM 2/10/2003 +0100, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
>>>'lowerleftdoubleninequote' in german seems to be an double
>>>lowerleftninequote,
>>>whereas 'upperrightdoublesixquote' seems to be the ligature.
>>actually 'lowerleftdoubleninequote' are two "," without any
>>kerning. You can add the kerning by:
>>\definecharacter quotedblbase     {,\kern -.1em,}
>>
>>Hans: is there any way to make this default when using cmr?
>
>Worse: With some fonts two different commas are used (I guess one from
>math mode);
>in my opinion we shouldn't make some kerning default, but using the right
>glyphs!

this is encoding dependent, the default is only a fall back; so, the
solution is to have proper entries in the encoding vector; but, not all
vectors have all glyphs

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: Re: lowerleftdoubleninequote
@ 2003-02-10 22:36     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-02-10 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 10:27 PM 2/10/2003 +0100, you wrote:
>>>'lowerleftdoubleninequote' in german seems to be an double
>>>lowerleftninequote,
>>>whereas 'upperrightdoublesixquote' seems to be the ligature.
>>actually 'lowerleftdoubleninequote' are two "," without any
>>kerning. You can add the kerning by:
>>\definecharacter quotedblbase     {,\kern -.1em,}
>>
>>Hans: is there any way to make this default when using cmr?
>
>Worse: With some fonts two different commas are used (I guess one from
>math mode);
>in my opinion we shouldn't make some kerning default, but using the right
>glyphs!
>
>Please, Hans!

another solution is to make a specific font handler (like the hanging one)
for a class of fonts like cmr, in that case you can link such a handler to
for instance a cmr10 font (see hand-*)

@ 2003-02-11 11:59       ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2003-02-11 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> writes:

Hello Hans,

> another solution is to make a specific font handler (like the hanging
> one) for a class of fonts like cmr, in that case you can link such a
> handler to for instance a cmr10 font (see hand-*)

I have tried that, but with strange results:

\startfonthandling[cmrfix]
 \definecharacter quotedblbase     {,\kern -.1em,}
\stopfonthandling

%\setupfontsynonym[Serif][handling=cmrfix]

\setupbodyfont[14pt]
\starttext
\mainlanguage[de]
\startquotation
To \TEX\ or not to \TEX.
\stopquotation
\stoptext

The definition of quotedblbase in line two is used without even
activating the cmrfix font-handler. How do I use the handler properly?

@ 2003-02-11 19:09       ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2003-02-11 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> Worse: With some fonts two different commas are used (I guess one
>> from math mode);
>> in my opinion we shouldn't make some kerning default, but using the
>> right glyphs!
>
> this is encoding dependent, the default is only a fall back; so, the
> solution is to have proper entries in the encoding vector; but, not
> all vectors have all glyphs

Would I have to fix the AFM or the PFB or both?

Grüßlis vom Hraban!
--
www.fiee.net/texnique/
www.ramm.ch/context/

* Re: Re: lowerleftdoubleninequote
@ 2003-02-11 20:09         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-02-11 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 08:09 PM 2/11/2003 +0100, you wrote:
>>>Worse: With some fonts two different commas are used (I guess one from
>>>math mode);
>>>in my opinion we shouldn't make some kerning default, but using the
>>>right glyphs!
>>
>>this is encoding dependent, the default is only a fall back; so, the
>>solution is to have proper entries in the encoding vector; but, not all
>>vectors have all glyphs
>
>Would I have to fix the AFM or the PFB or both?

(1) choose an encoding vector that has them
(2) make your own encoding vector, say xxx.enc, make an associated
enco-xxx.tex, run afmtotfm with this vector and voila

@ 2003-03-17 18:05         ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2003-03-17 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Patrick Gundlach <pg@levana.de> writes:

Hello Hans,

>> another solution is to make a specific font handler (like the hanging
>> one) for a class of fonts like cmr, in that case you can link such a
>> handler to for instance a cmr10 font (see hand-*)
>
> I have tried that, but with strange results:
>

> \startfonthandling[cmrfix]
>  \definecharacter quotedblbase     {,\kern -.1em,}
> \stopfonthandling
>
> %\setupfontsynonym[Serif][handling=cmrfix]
>
> \setupbodyfont[14pt]
> \starttext
> \mainlanguage[de]
> \startquotation
> To \TEX\ or not to \TEX.
> \stopquotation
> \stoptext
>

> The definition of quotedblbase in line two is used without even
> activating the cmrfix font-handler. How do I use the handler properly?

I still wonder how to use this handler? Even putting it in a sepatate
file and use it with \usehandling[cmr] activates it without
explicitly saying so.

Patrick