* hyphenation with accented caharacters
@ 2003-02-16 14:00 Henning Hraban Ramm
       [not found] ` <87k7fz2udg.fsf@gundla.ch>
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2003-02-16 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

According to Hans' mail from 2002-08-29
("hyphenation of words with accented characters")
the following should work, but it doesn't:

\hyphenation{
aus-zu-\uumlaut ben
Gro\ssharp -bri-tan-nien
}

I get:
! Not a letter.
\@texnansi@ssharp ->\char 223

l.23 \hyphenation{Gro\ssharp
                              -bri-tan-nien}

or:
! Improper \hyphenation will be flushed.
\dontleavehmode ->\ifhmode \else \ifmmode \else {
                                                  \mathsurround \z@
\everymat...

\smashaccent #1->\dontleavehmode
                                  \bgroup \setbox \scratchbox \hbox
{#1}\ifdi...
l.22 \hyphenation{aus-zu-\uumlaut
                                   ben}

What's wrong?

Grüßlis vom Hraban!
--
www.fiee.net/texnique/
www.ramm.ch/context/

* Re: hyphenation with accented caharacters
@ 2003-02-16 15:18 ` Jens-Uwe Morawski
       [not found] ` <87k7fz2udg.fsf@gundla.ch>
From: Jens-Uwe Morawski @ 2003-02-16 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 16 Feb 2003 15:00:51 +0100
Henning Hraban Ramm <hraban@fiee.net> wrote:

> According to Hans' mail from 2002-08-29
> ("hyphenation of words with accented characters")
> the following should work, but it doesn't:
>
> \hyphenation{
> aus-zu-\uumlaut ben
> Gro\ssharp -bri-tan-nien
> }

\hyphenation{aus-zu-\udiaeresis ben} should work; see \showcharacters

Jens

* Re: hyphenation with accented caharacters
@ 2003-02-16 22:31   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-02-16 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 04:18 PM 2/16/2003 +0100, Jens-Uwe Morawski wrote:
>On Sun, 16 Feb 2003 15:00:51 +0100
>Henning Hraban Ramm <hraban@fiee.net> wrote:
>
> > According to Hans' mail from 2002-08-29
> > ("hyphenation of words with accented characters")
> > the following should work, but it doesn't:
> >
> > \hyphenation{
> > aus-zu-\uumlaut ben
> > Gro\ssharp -bri-tan-nien
> > }
>
>\hyphenation{aus-zu-\udiaeresis ben} should work; see \showcharacters

indeed; the umlaut alternatives are tweaked chars, not normal ones, they
have lower "s (an umlaut is an distorted e while a diaeresis is a couple of
dots) [the new latin modern will have real umlauts]

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

@ 2003-02-19  9:31   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-02-19  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 09:18 AM 2/17/2003 +0100, Patrick Gundlach wrote:
>Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> writes:
>
>Hello,
>
> > couple of dots) [the new latin modern will have real umlauts]
>
>what is this latin modern?

a new cmr based font family, non virtual, with some 450 characters/glyphs,
to be presented at teh next dante meeting by jacko cum suis (the polish
font guys) who made this font in a project funded by dante/gutenberg/ntg

This font can replace plr/csr/aer and a few more so that we have a full
featured fall back font.

Hans

* latin modern
@ 2003-02-20 10:02     ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2003-02-20 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> writes:

Hello!

>>what is this latin modern?
>
> a new cmr based font family, non virtual, with some 450
> characters/glyphs, to be presented at teh next dante meeting by jacko
> cum suis (the polish font guys) who made this font in a project funded
> by dante/gutenberg/ntg

Oh, that looks so good! I guess the size of the font programs is much
smaller than the cm super. And it does not have the very ugly
germandbls (ß) from the ec fonts in it!

This is one thing that keeps me from using some fonts. Some fonts
have such an ugly ß in them that one cannot read a text with this
font without being distracted by the shape of the ß.

Patrick