* How to: get TeX to warn me when it breaks a chunk of text overpages.
@ 2002-03-08 10:57 Daniel Pittman
From: Daniel Pittman @ 2002-03-08 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

As part of writing the recipe book that I am working on I want to
achieve something a bit non-standard in terms of TeX page breaking.

Because the book is intended to be sitting on the bench and read while I
am in the middle of cooking, breaking a recipe over a page boundary is a
/very/ undesirable thing to do.

I would rather have (and have to fill) whitespace on the page than a
page break in the middle of a recipe.

Now, I don't think that I can get TeX to do much of the work of ordering
recipes for me to automatically fill the space optimally, at least not
if I want to be able to have recipes that are longer than a single page.

I tried placing each recipe in a float which solved the page break issue
tolerably but cut of recipes that extended longer than a single page --
without a warning or error. :/

I don't mind having to go through and manually paginate in places and to
reorder recipes to achieve the layout that I want. Having TeX do some or
all of this would be nice but...

What would be great would be to be able to discourage page breaking
within the recipe and to have TeX warn me when it does break within the
bounds of the recipe.

I don't know how on-topic this is for the list but I hope that someone
can help me.

Thanks,
        Daniel

--
[It's said that hallucinogenic drugs give insight]
But just what kind of insight are we talking about here? Are we talking about