* just some questions
@ 2015-11-17 13:35 Carlos
From: Carlos @ 2015-11-17 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello list.

I just have a pairof questions. Could someone point me to the fonts'
script used by mtxrun?

back in, let's see.. 2011, Mojca replied to Vladimir Lomov, with:

> If TEXMFSYSVAR is writable, the cache goes to TEXMFSYSVAR. If it is
> not, the cache goes to TEXMFVAR. The idea behind this is that
> installer updates the cache when new packages are added, while users
> can still generate their own cache.

And yes, I even removed the cache file, since it generates itself,
correct?

I just can't figure out why this problem occurs with the files packed for
ubuntu texlive, and I'm almost sure of not having duplicate files, unless I
probably missed them, of course!

I think I tried all the options available.

I know mtxrun script is implemented there as well (in ubuntu texlive).

I tried with separate installations first, and finally settled with texlive
full, but it made no difference.

I know it works in x64 for example, but for some reason, it refuses to
follow the exemplary behavior in an i386. (Most of the modules fail or
wouldn't find types).

And why would ubuntu maintainers have anything to do with it? It's
probably my own misconfiguration. But what could be the cause?

Thank you in advance, for your time. :)

Bye bye
Carlos

* Re: just some questions
@ 2015-11-18 23:21 ` Carlos
From: Carlos @ 2015-11-18 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Sorry, perhaps with the stable version this issue will get resolved.

Thank you for the warm welcome. :)

* Re: just some questions
@ 2015-11-19 18:20 ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2015-11-19 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Carlos, I’m afraid I don’t get what your actual problem is.

Could you describe it with a single sentence? I mean the problem itself,
not your actions to fix it.

Excuse me, but I’m not sure whether you have an issue with the fonts,
with the cache, with TeX Live or wit the Ubuntu packages.

Pablo

--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: just some questions
@ 2015-11-19 20:15   ` Carlos
From: Carlos @ 2015-11-19 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Pablo Rodriguez <oinos@gmx.es> writes:

> Carlos, I’m afraid I don’t get what your actual problem is.
>
> Could you describe it with a single sentence? I mean the problem itself,
> not your actions to fix it.
>
> Excuse me, but I’m not sure whether you have an issue with the fonts,
> with the cache, with TeX Live or wit the Ubuntu packages.
>
> Pablo

Pablo, simply put, the system fonts, with the module simplefonts, can't be found.

Was OSFONTDIR exported? Yes.
Was the path specified correctly? Yes. In my case was /usr/share/fonts
What command was used afterward? The mtxrun --script fonts --reload.
Did you try other commands? Yes. Most notably context --generate, context
--make, luatools.
When was the first time the condition appeared? Some time last week,
after reading complaints from other computer users, who think texlive as
it's currently distributed, is disrespectful to users, e.g. most people
would not need every other package out there. (Of course, the above is
just not correct). But the other most readily option, is to install the
packaged distribution for ubuntu. The latter is what I did.

Thank you Pablo.

* Re: just some questions
@ 2015-11-19 20:44     ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2015-11-19 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11/19/2015 09:15 PM, Carlos wrote:
> Pablo, simply put, the system fonts, with the module simplefonts, can't be found.
>
> Was OSFONTDIR exported? Yes.
> Was the path specified correctly? Yes. In my case was /usr/share/fonts

Which is the output from "kpsewhich --var-value=OSFONTDIR"?

AfaIk, you should get /usr/share/fonts// (double slash to handle
subdirectories).

> What command was used afterward? The mtxrun --script fonts --reload.

You could try (after fixing path above when needed) "mtxrun --script
fonts --reload --force".

> Did you try other commands? Yes. Most notably context --generate, context
> --make, luatools.

I think these are unrelated tools (although I’m not an expert).

> When was the first time the condition appeared? Some time last week,
> after reading complaints from other computer users, who think texlive as
> it's currently distributed, is disrespectful to users, e.g. most people
> would not need every other package out there. (Of course, the above is
> just not correct). But the other most readily option, is to install the
> packaged distribution for ubuntu. The latter is what I did.

For ConTeXt, I think it is better you use the ConTeXt Suite (an
standalone ConTeXt distribution).

As a matter of fact, I don’t have TeX Live (or LaTeX) installed. I only
use the ConTeXt Suite (http://wiki.contextgarden.net/ConTeXt_Standalone).

I hope it helps (complain back, if it doesn’t :-)),

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: just some questions
@ 2015-11-19 22:02       ` Carlos
From: Carlos @ 2015-11-19 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Pablo Rodriguez <oinos@gmx.es> writes:

> On 11/19/2015 09:15 PM, Carlos wrote:
>> Pablo, simply put, the system fonts, with the module simplefonts,
>> can't be found.
>>
>> Was OSFONTDIR exported? Yes.
>> Was the path specified correctly? Yes. In my case was /usr/share/fonts
>
> Which is the output from "kpsewhich --var-value=OSFONTDIR"?

I no longer have the ubuntu installation
Pablo. 'please/set/osfontdir/environment/  I can start all over again
and install it, and remove all TeX Live remnants. Although the
issue here: is with the ubuntu packaged version. Texlive from ctan has
no problems whatsoever

> AfaIk, you should get /usr/share/fonts// (double slash to handle
> subdirectories).

Double slash? That's a new one. Although not surprising. Have you heard
of the go language by Google? They had some issues with it at one
point.

>> What command was used afterward? The mtxrun --script fonts --reload.
>
> You could try (after fixing path above when needed) "mtxrun --script
> fonts --reload --force".

Yes. I did the above. It made no difference.

>> Did you try other commands? Yes. Most notably context --generate, context
>> --make, luatools.
>
> I think these are unrelated tools (although I’m not an expert).

I was back and forth comparing one system (x64) with the (i386), and all
I was trying to do, was to zero out incompatibilities among the
two.

>> When was the first time the condition appeared? Some time last week,
>> after reading complaints from other computer users, who think texlive as
>> it's currently distributed, is disrespectful to users, e.g. most people
>> would not need every other package out there. (Of course, the above is
>> just not correct). But the other most readily option, is to install the
>> packaged distribution for ubuntu. The latter is what I did.
>
> For ConTeXt, I think it is better you use the ConTeXt Suite (an
> standalone ConTeXt distribution).
>
> As a matter of fact, I don’t have TeX Live (or LaTeX) installed. I only
> use the ConTeXt Suite (http://wiki.contextgarden.net/ConTeXt_Standalone).

I've never had issues with texlive itself. Just with the packaged one for ubuntu.

> I hope it helps (complain back, if it doesn’t :-)),

I'll gladly remove texlive and reinstall the ubuntu version. Thankfully
I don't have dialup now.

> Pablo

Thank you Pablo.