* off topic: page numbering question
@ 2009-03-14 10:11 WolfgangZ
From: WolfgangZ @ 2009-03-14 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi,

my question is not directly related to context, so please excuse.

In my document I have even before the abstract the summary in 2
languages. Then the TOC (table of contents), then list of symbols which
is followed by the introduction.

But where do I start with page number 1?
  - at the very beginning?
  - at the TOC (earlier pages get then numbered I, II, III, ...
  - at the introduction?

A last question, is it common to add the two summaries in the TOC or to
start with the "list of symbols"?

Or are there no rules at all and I can do it as I like?

Best regards
Wolfgang

* Re: off topic: page numbering question
@ 2009-03-14 11:43 ` John Devereux
From: John Devereux @ 2009-03-14 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

WolfgangZ <wollez@gmx.net> writes:

> Hi,
>
> my question is not directly related to context, so please excuse.
>
> In my document I have even before the abstract the summary in 2
> languages. Then the TOC (table of contents), then list of symbols
> which is followed by the introduction.
>
> But where do I start with page number 1?
>  - at the very beginning?
>  - at the TOC (earlier pages get then numbered I, II, III, ...
>  - at the introduction?

It's probably frowned on by real writers, but I actually make the
front cover page 1. This is just so that when you go to print an
extract of the document (or "go to" a page number when viewing), the
page numbers match those in the software dialog.

Having said that it may well be that PDF viewers are clever enough to
know the "logical" page number rather than the physical one, does
anyone know about this?

[...]

--

John Devereux

* Re: off topic: page numbering question
@ 2009-03-14 12:01   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-03-14 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

http://archive.contextgarden.net/message/20081216.091038.3b5ae9e1.en.html

@ 2009-03-14 13:29     ` John Devereux
From: John Devereux @ 2009-03-14 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> writes:

> Am 14.03.2009 um 12:43 schrieb John Devereux:
>
>> Having said that it may well be that PDF viewers are clever enough to
>> know the "logical" page number rather than the physical one, does
>> anyone know about this?
>
> http://archive.contextgarden.net/message/20081216.091038.3b5ae9e1.en.html

Thanks!

Using the example, viewers which correctly display the logical page
numbers (i,ii,iii,iv,1,2,3 etc) are:

xpdf       no
kpdf       no
ocular     no
foxit      no
evince     yes!
acrobat 4  yes

Only acrobat seems to cope with ii in the print dialog, although I did
not try very hard on the others.

--

John Devereux