* hysteresis with content in blocks (one strike and you can be out forever)
@ 2019-02-06 15:53 Sanjoy Mahajan
From: Sanjoy Mahajan @ 2019-02-06 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Apologies for the cutesy subtitle.  In plainer English, the information
saved in the .tuc file can make it so that a valid ConTeXt file doesn't
compile merely because of what it contained when it was compiled before.

Here is a MIE (minimal illustrative example), on Linux amd64, 2019.01.28 beta:

1. Make the following file:

========== file: testhysteresis.tex ===============
\defineblock[foo]

\starttext

\def\abc{20}
\beginfoo
Use \abc
\endfoo

\useblocks[foo]

\stoptext
========== stop: testhysteresis.tex ===============

2. Compile it with "context --nonstopmode testhysteresis.tex" (which
   will work fine).

3. Modify it so that it doesn't define or use \abc (and so that it is
   still valid):

========== file: testhysteresis.tex ===============
\defineblock[foo]

\starttext

\beginfoo
Use
\endfoo

\useblocks[foo]

\stoptext
========== stop: testhysteresis.tex ===============

4. Without deleting testhysteresis.tuc, recompile with "context
   --nonstopmode testhysteresis.tex".  This run fails with the fatal error:

     tex error       > tex error on line 1 in file virtual://block.foo.1: ! Undefined control sequence

     l.1 Use \abc

   The cause seems to be that testhysteresis.tuc contains (from the run
   it step 2 above):

     utilitydata.structures.blocks.collected={
      {
       ["data"]="Use \\abc",
       ["index"]=1,
       ["metadata"]=3,