* What’s your favorite command?
@ 2012-01-30 18:55 Wolfgang Schuster
                   ` (11 more replies)
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2012-01-30 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

to bring some traffic to the list I have a question where I hope even non regulars send a answer. The ConTeXt package is huge and provides dozen of commands but I guess many have *one* favorite command (maybe also functionality).

As I started this thread I’ll present my favorite command which is \donothing, it is a internal command and only a synonym for \empty but it’s one reason why I prefer ConTeXt’s coding style (especially with the recent changes in MkIV) over the unreadable LaTeX code.

Wolfgang

* Re:  What’s your favorite command?
@ 2012-01-30 19:08 ` Marco
                   ` (10 subsequent siblings)
From: Marco @ 2012-01-30 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2012-01-30 Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:

> The  ConTeXt  package  is  huge and  provides  dozen  of
> commands but  I guess  many have *one*  favorite command
> (maybe also functionality).

I was surprised  by the unusual “Subject” line  in my mail
client. But I don't hesitate:

My  favourite  command  is  \externalfigure  [placeholder]
because it  produces very  pretty colourful  graphics (I'm
bored to use the dutch cow or the wind mill every time).

Example:

\useMPlibrary [dum]
\starttext

\dorecurse{10}{
	\startTEXpage
		\externalfigure [placeholder]
	\stopTEXpage}

\stoptext

Regards

Marco Patzer

* Re:  What’s your favorite command?
@ 2012-01-30 19:12 ` Thomas A. Schmitz
                   ` (9 subsequent siblings)
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2012-01-30 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Hi all,
>
> to bring some traffic to the list I have a question where I hope even non regulars send a answer. The ConTeXt package is huge and provides dozen of commands but I guess many have*one*  favorite command (maybe also functionality).
>
> As I started this thread I’ll present my favorite command which is \donothing, it is a internal command and only a synonym for \empty but it’s one reason why I prefer ConTeXt’s coding style (especially with the recent changes in MkIV) over the unreadable LaTeX code.
>
> Wolfgang

Without a doubt, for me it's \dontcomplain - get rid of overfull
messages. The name is just brilliant; it would be wonderful to have it
available in real life! But if we want to be more serious: of course all
the xml processing commands, and then the multiple \doif... tests which
make programming in ConTeXt accessible even to people with no
programming or math background.

Thomas

* Re:  What’s your favorite command?
@ 2012-01-30 21:37 ` Otared Kavian
                   ` (8 subsequent siblings)
From: Otared Kavian @ 2012-01-30 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mine is \doifmodeelse: it allows to do a lot!

Best regards: OK

On 30 janv. 2012, at 19:55, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> to bring some traffic to the list I have a question where I hope even non regulars send a answer. The ConTeXt package is huge and provides dozen of commands but I guess many have *one* favorite command (maybe also functionality).
>
> As I started this thread I’ll present my favorite command which is \donothing, it is a internal command and only a synonym for \empty but it’s one reason why I prefer ConTeXt’s coding style (especially with the recent changes in MkIV) over the unreadable LaTeX code.
>
> Wolfgang

* Re:  What’s your favorite command?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2012-01-30 22:43 ` Steffen Wolfrum
                   ` (7 subsequent siblings)
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2012-01-30 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Wolfgang,

nice idea starting this thread!

> Hi all,
>
> to bring some traffic to the list I have a question where I hope even non regulars send a answer. The ConTeXt package is huge and provides dozen of commands but I guess many have *one* favorite command (maybe also functionality).
>
> As I started this thread I’ll present my favorite command which is \donothing, it is a internal command and only a synonym for \empty but it’s one reason why I prefer ConTeXt’s coding style (especially with the recent changes in MkIV) over the unreadable LaTeX code.
>
> Wolfgang

Compared to what Wolfgang, Thomas and Otared wrote my favorite command is a quite "high-level" command:

\offset[x=...,y=...]{...}

I really love his command: It's amazing, it gives so much "spontaneous" freedom and power in positioning elements!
Without this command the early years of ConTeXT were quite painful ...

Steffen

* Re:  What’s your favorite command?
@ 2012-01-30 23:08   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-01-30 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 30-1-2012 20:12, Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:

> Without a doubt, for me it's \dontcomplain - get rid of overfull
> messages. The name is just brilliant; it would be wonderful to have it
> available in real life! But if we want to be more serious: of course all
> the xml processing commands, and then the multiple \doif... tests which
> make programming in ConTeXt accessible even to people with no
> programming or math background.

don't forget \forgetall then

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2012-01-30 23:10   ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2012-01-30 23:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 30 Jan 2012, Marco wrote:

> On 2012-01-30 Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> The  ConTeXt  package  is  huge and  provides  dozen  of
>> commands but  I guess  many have *one*  favorite command
>> (maybe also functionality).
>
> I was surprised  by the unusual “Subject” line  in my mail
> client. But I don't hesitate:
>
> My  favourite  command  is  \externalfigure  [placeholder]
> because it  produces very  pretty colourful  graphics (I'm
> bored to use the dutch cow or the wind mill every time).
>
> Example:
>
> \useMPlibrary [dum]
> \starttext
>
> \dorecurse{10}{
> 	\startTEXpage
> 		\externalfigure [placeholder]
> 	\stopTEXpage}
>
> \stoptext

You can also use my `\externalkitten` macro:
http://randomdeterminism.wordpress.com/2011/05/07/images-for-documentation-examples/

\def\externalkitten[#1]%
     {\getparameters[kitten][width=10pt, height=10pt, #1]
      \externalfigure
         [\ctxlua{context("http://placekitten.com/g/\%0.0f/\%0.0f",
                   \withoutpt{\the\dimexpr\kittenwidth},
                   \withoutpt{\the\dimexpr\kittenheight})}]
         [#1, method=jpg]}

\starttext
\placefigure[left,none]{}
     {\externalkitten[width=0.5\textwidth, height=0.3\textheight]}
   \input knuth
\stoptext

Aditya

* Re: What’s your favorite command?
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2012-01-30 23:13 ` Aditya Mahajan
                   ` (6 subsequent siblings)
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2012-01-30 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 30 Jan 2012, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> to bring some traffic to the list I have a question where I hope even non regulars send a answer. The ConTeXt package is huge and provides dozen of commands but I guess many have *one* favorite command (maybe also functionality).

My favorite is \framed. Once you understand all (or most) of the keys of
\framed, you know 60% of ConTeXt features because almost all other
commands accept a big subset of these keys.

Aditya

* Re:  What’s your favorite command?
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2012-01-30 23:23 ` Mojca Miklavec
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2012-01-30 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 19:55, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> I guess many have *one* favorite command (maybe also functionality).

\simplethesis

(Sadly it is a bit buggy, else I would be finished already ;)

Mojca

* Re:  What’s your favorite command?
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2012-01-31  5:45 ` Mikael P. Sundqvist
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Mikael P. Sundqvist @ 2012-01-31  5:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 7:55 PM, Wolfgang Schuster
<schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> to bring some traffic to the list I have a question where I hope even non regulars send a answer. The ConTeXt package is huge and provides dozen of commands but I guess many have *one* favorite command (maybe also functionality).
>
> As I started this thread I’ll present my favorite command which is \donothing, it is a internal command and only a synonym for \empty but it’s one reason why I prefer ConTeXt’s coding style (especially with the recent changes in MkIV) over the unreadable LaTeX code.
>
> Wolfgang

I never thought I could be so happy Hans introduced \donothing :)

My favorite must be the natural table environments (\bTABLE ...
\eTABLE). It really makes it a joy to typeset boring tables.

On my wishlist for 2012 I have robuster math support. I recently had
problems with as simple things as fractions and integrals, things that
should just work. Also, I still am not able to use my favorite math
font fourier.

Mikael

* Re:  What’s your favorite command?
@ 2012-01-31  8:11   ` Mari Voipio
From: Mari Voipio @ 2012-01-31  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm with Mikael in that natural tables is one of the things that has
made a real difference to my ConTeXting, and I no longer hesitate with
adding tables to the my documents.

My current favourite is probably \usemodule, especially
\usemodule[simplefonts]. Being a Windows dummy and working mostly in a
standard (M$) Office environment, the Simplefonts module has taken a
lot of sweat out of coding.

In my non-working life as a half-professional craftster and budding
publisher I'm learning to enjoy playing around with \setuplayout; the
learning curve is sometimes pretty steep, but it still beats fiddling
with Word because once you get something right, it stays right. :-)

Mari

* Re:  What’s your favorite command?
                   ` (6 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2012-01-31  8:34 ` Alan Braslau
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Alan Braslau @ 2012-01-31  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 07:55:51PM +0100, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> to bring some traffic to the list I have a question where I hope even non regulars send a answer. The ConTeXt package is huge and provides dozen of commands but I guess many have *one* favorite command (maybe also functionality).
>
> As I started this thread I’ll present my favorite command which is \donothing, it is a internal command and only a synonym for \empty but it’s one reason why I prefer ConTeXt’s coding style (especially with the recent changes in MkIV) over the unreadable LaTeX code.
>
> Wolfgang

Not quite the same as \null:
\def\null {\hbox{}}

My (LaTeX) code used to always be riddled with \mbox{}
(somehow, I got into the habit of using this rather than \hbox{})

But this is not my favorite.

Believe it or not, I quite often make the error of typing '\startext'.
(Hans, don't think about adding this as a synonym - each time that I make this mistake I am quite happy to get an error message... This is what I get for typing and reading too fast!)

I do like unicode support.

However, what I like best about ConTeXt commands is consistency, where the choice of syntax is constantly moving towards standardization. Often, when I want to do something new, I just try what seems logical, using the very same keywords as used elsewhere (when appropriate), and usually this just works!

Alan

P.S. I regret that ConTeXt and Mojca's \simplethesis command was not available when I needed it!

* Re:  What’s your favorite command?
                   ` (7 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2012-01-31  8:44 ` luigi scarso
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: luigi scarso @ 2012-01-31  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 7:55 PM, Wolfgang Schuster <
schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> to bring some traffic to the list I have a question where I hope even non
> regulars send a answer. The ConTeXt package is huge and provides dozen of
> commands but I guess many have *one* favorite command (maybe also
> functionality).
>
> As I started this thread I’ll present my favorite command which is
> \donothing, it is a internal command and only a synonym for \empty but it’s
> one reason why I prefer ConTeXt’s coding style (especially with the recent
> changes in MkIV) over the unreadable LaTeX code.

\ruledvbox
I always need to see the bbox of my objects.
--
luigi

* Re:  What’s your favorite command?
@ 2012-01-31  8:48   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-01-31  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 31-1-2012 00:23, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 19:55, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>>
>> I guess many have *one* favorite command (maybe also functionality).
>
> \simplethesis
>
> (Sadly it is a bit buggy, else I would be finished already ;)

So you want me to \dosomething

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2012-01-31  8:50   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-01-31  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 31-1-2012 09:34, Alan Braslau wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 07:55:51PM +0100, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> to bring some traffic to the list I have a question where I hope even non regulars send a answer. The ConTeXt package is huge and provides dozen of commands but I guess many have *one* favorite command (maybe also functionality).
>>
>> As I started this thread I’ll present my favorite command which is \donothing, it is a internal command and only a synonym for \empty but it’s one reason why I prefer ConTeXt’s coding style (especially with the recent changes in MkIV) over the unreadable LaTeX code.
>>
>> Wolfgang
>
> Not quite the same as \null:
> \def\null {\hbox{}}

there is \emptyhbox which for me is easier to grasp than \null

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2012-01-31  9:42   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-01-31  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 31-1-2012 00:23, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 19:55, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>>
>> I guess many have *one* favorite command (maybe also functionality).
>
> \simplethesis
>
> (Sadly it is a bit buggy, else I would be finished already ;)

As I don't want to bre responsiible for you not passing an examn ...
here's a fix (actually the random args were always swapped but the mkii
code is not sensitive for wrong random ranges)

\unexpanded\def\fakefigure
   {\dodoubleempty\dofakefigure}

\def\dofakefigure[#1][#2]#3#4#5#6%
   {\getvalue{\e!place\v!figure}
      [#1][#2]%
      {\freezerandomseed
       \let\endstrut\relax
       \let\begstrut\relax
       \doifinsetelse{#1}{\v!left,\v!right}
         {\fakewords{2}{4}}
         {\fakewords{4}{10}}}%
      {\doifinset{#1}{\v!left,\v!right}
         {\dimen0=.75\dimen0
          \ifdim\dimen0>.6\hsize \dimen0=.5\hsize\fi
          \ifdim\dimen0<.3\hsize \dimen0=.3\hsize\fi}%
       \framed
         [\c!width=\dimen0,
          \c!height=\dimen2,
          \c!frame=\v!off,
          \c!background=\v!color,
          \c!backgroundcolor=fakeparindentcolor]
         {\bf\white#1}}%
    \defrostrandomseed}

I'll upgrade that module anyhow (e.g we need random footnotes for thomas
and random font features for idris) ... then we can have a competition
for the smallest set of commands that generates the nicest thesis.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2012-01-31 11:39     ` Marco
From: Marco @ 2012-01-31 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 2012-01-30 Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu> wrote:

> > My  favourite  command  is  \externalfigure  [placeholder]
> > because it  produces very  pretty colourful  graphics (I'm
> > bored to use the dutch cow or the wind mill every time).
> > […]
>
> You can also use my `\externalkitten` macro:
> http://randomdeterminism.wordpress.com/2011/05/07/images-for-documentation-examples/

+ Nice idea
+ Natural \externalfigure UI
+ Great use case of ConTeXts http capability
+ Cute kitties
+ Even more cute kitties

- Relies on an internet connection

Marco

* Re:  What’s your favorite command?
                   ` (8 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2012-01-31 15:15 ` Philipp Gesang
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Philipp Gesang @ 2012-01-31 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2012-01-30 19:55, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> to bring some traffic to the list I have a question where I hope even non regulars send a answer. The ConTeXt package is huge and provides dozen of commands but I guess many have *one* favorite command (maybe also functionality).

Hi Wolfgang & Others,

my favorite feature maybe neither a command nor a macro as such:
I’m especially fond of one “linguistic” feature that makes
Context source code easily readable: the (often repeated) “do”
prefix and “indeed” suffix in macro names. This way the majority
of macros are to a certain extent self-descriptive, their names
carrying a hint about the current nesting depth and the number of
steps already executed before the macro itself is encountered.

A crude scripted scan of the directory context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/
reveals the longest prefixed macro name to be
    “\dofinishregisterstructurepageregister”
(not yet underscorified), and the longest suffixed one
    “\syst_helpers_inspect_next_parenthesis_character_indeed”.
Finally, the macro
    “\dododododoGTC”
has the most “do” prefixes of all.

I hereby declare these three my favorite macros, although I never
read their definitions, let alone used them.

Thanks for the clarity
Philipp

PS: Anybody fond of “\@EAEAEAEAEAEA”?

> As I started this thread I’ll present my favorite command which is \donothing, it is a internal command and only a synonym for \empty but it’s one reason why I prefer ConTeXt’s coding style (especially with the recent changes in MkIV) over the unreadable LaTeX code.
>
> Wolfgang

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 198 bytes --]

* Re:  What’s your favorite command?
@ 2012-01-31 15:31   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2012-01-31 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 31-1-2012 16:15, Philipp Gesang wrote:

> PS: Anybody fond of “\@EAEAEAEAEAEA”?

or: \tripleexpandafter

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2012-01-31 15:33   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2012-01-31 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 31.01.2012 um 16:15 schrieb Philipp Gesang:

> On 2012-01-30 19:55, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> to bring some traffic to the list I have a question where I hope even non regulars send a answer. The ConTeXt package is huge and provides dozen of commands but I guess many have *one* favorite command (maybe also functionality).
>
> Hi Wolfgang & Others,
>
> my favorite feature maybe neither a command nor a macro as such:
> I’m especially fond of one “linguistic” feature that makes
> Context source code easily readable: the (often repeated) “do”
> prefix and “indeed” suffix in macro names. This way the majority
> of macros are to a certain extent self-descriptive, their names
> carrying a hint about the current nesting depth and the number of
> steps already executed before the macro itself is encountered.

> A crude scripted scan of the directory context/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/
> reveals the longest prefixed macro name to be
>    “\dofinishregisterstructurepageregister”
> (not yet underscorified), and the longest suffixed one
>    “\syst_helpers_inspect_next_parenthesis_character_indeed”.
> Finally, the macro
>    “\dododododoGTC”
> has the most “do” prefixes of all.
>
> I hereby declare these three my favorite macros, although I never
> read their definitions, let alone used them.

The second is part of the internals for \doifnextparenthesiselse.

> Thanks for the clarity
> Philipp
>
> PS: Anybody fond of “\@EAEAEAEAEAEA”?

The @ is a dying symbol in MkIV because the underscore has replaced it
and there are now alternative names for these function, the one you mention
can now be written as \tripleexpandafter.

@ 2012-01-31 15:38   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2012-01-31 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 31.01.2012 um 16:15 schrieb Philipp Gesang:

> On 2012-01-30 19:55, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> to bring some traffic to the list I have a question where I hope even non regulars send a answer. The ConTeXt package is huge and provides dozen of commands but I guess many have *one* favorite command (maybe also functionality).
>
> Hi Wolfgang & Others,
>
> my favorite feature maybe neither a command nor a macro as such:
> I’m especially fond of one “linguistic” feature that makes
> Context source code easily readable: the (often repeated) “do”
> prefix and “indeed” suffix in macro names. This way the majority
> of macros are to a certain extent self-descriptive, their names
> carrying a hint about the current nesting depth and the number of
> steps already executed before the macro itself is encountered.

There are also variations of the prefixes and suffixes.

Prefixes:

- do
- dodo
- nodo
- redo

Suffixes:

- indeed
- ignore
- yes
- nop

@ 2012-01-31 16:23     ` Philipp Gesang
From: Philipp Gesang @ 2012-01-31 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2012-01-31 16:33, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
> Am 31.01.2012 um 16:15 schrieb Philipp Gesang:
> >
> > PS: Anybody fond of “\@EAEAEAEAEAEA”?
>
> The @ is a dying symbol in MkIV because the underscore has replaced it
> and there are now alternative names for these function, the one you mention
> can now be written as \tripleexpandafter.

Indeed ;-). I recently came to notice the ongoing extinction of
the “@” the hard way when “\@gluenode” evolved into
“\gluenodecode”, thereby breaking the letterspace module …

I just thought it was worth mentioning because the repetition is
so intimidating that I can imagine the pain one would experience
when lost in Expansion Hell.

Thanks for your contribution to Context morphology
Philipp

> Wolfgang

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 198 bytes --]

* Re:  What’s your favorite command?
                   ` (9 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2012-01-31 16:45 ` Marco Pessotto
From: Marco Pessotto @ 2012-01-31 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> to bring some traffic to the list I have a question where I hope even
> non regulars send a answer. The ConTeXt package is huge and provides
> dozen of commands but I guess many have *one* favorite command (maybe
> also functionality).

\startmode & company changed my life. And the unicode support of luatex,
of course.

Many thanks to Taco and Hans (and the others contributors) for such
beautiful tools.

--
Marco

* Re:  What’s your favorite command?
                   ` (10 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2012-01-31 18:34 ` Christian Neukirchen
From: Christian Neukirchen @ 2012-01-31 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> writes:

> As I started this thread I’ll present my favorite command which is
> \donothing

My favourite command is \donknuthmode, which is the opposite of
\nonknuthmode of course.

--
Christian Neukirchen  <chneukirchen@gmail.com>  http://chneukirchen.org

* Re: What?s your favorite command?
       [not found] <mailman.2016.1327999702.4232.ntg-context@ntg.nl>
@ 2012-01-31 10:03 ` S Barmeier
From: S Barmeier @ 2012-01-31 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

My favourite command chooses to remain anonymous for now. All it has
agreed to disclose about itself is that it gives total control over
margin notes, in particular placement & page breaking...

In case an ID is required for attendance, I think I'll go for
\setCJKmainfont, representing Unicode support and simple way of choosing
fonts across scripts, which is a "deal maker" for me... Thank you Hans
and Wolfgang =)

Severin