* Replacing a piece of a paper
@ 2011-01-11 16:41 Procházka Lukáš Ing. - Pontex s. r. o.
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Procházka Lukáš Ing. - Pontex s. r. o. @ 2011-01-11 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ConTeXt

Hello,

I'm trying to handle a special problem. I guess ConTeXt would be useful for this purpose, although its primary function is to typeset. But -

I have many drawings - they are black-and-white one-sided PDFs of A1 or A2 size (typical technical drawings).

The bottom right area of size 210 x 330 mm should be "deleted" - or over-painted by a white rectangle (or picture or MP code).

And next a new PDF of A4 size should be placed on the right bottom area, just on the white ("deleting") area.

I wouldn't have problem with batch processing the number of files.

But I would need an example how to take the original A2 PDF, place a whitening area on it and then to place a new PDF over it; I'm not experienced enough in "layering" with ConTeXt and I guess this may be the way.

Would it be possible to provide a small example of such processing an arbitrary file?

I can send a sample A2 or A1 PDF, and also a replacing A4, if necessary.

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards,

Lukas

--
Ing. Lukáš Procházka [mailto:LPr@pontex.cz]
Pontex s. r. o.      [mailto:pontex@pontex.cz] [http://www.pontex.cz]

Tel: +420 244 062 238
Fax: +420 244 461 038

* Re: Replacing a piece of a paper
@ 2011-01-11 16:45 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2011-01-11 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

2011/1/11 Procházka Lukáš Ing. - Pontex s. r. o. wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to handle a special problem. I guess ConTeXt would be useful for
> this purpose, although its primary function is to typeset. But -
>
> I have many drawings - they are black-and-white one-sided PDFs of A1 or A2
> size (typical technical drawings).
>
> The bottom right area of size 210 x 330 mm should be "deleted" - or
> over-painted by a white rectangle (or picture or MP code).

An important question: overpainted for your personal needs or in order
to remove some information from PDF that others are not supposed to
see?

Mojca

* Re: Replacing a piece of a paper
@ 2011-01-11 16:53 ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2011-01-11 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

2011/1/11 Procházka Lukáš Ing. - Pontex s. r. o. <LPr@pontex.cz>:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to handle a special problem. I guess ConTeXt would be useful for
> this purpose, although its primary function is to typeset. But -
>
> I have many drawings - they are black-and-white one-sided PDFs of A1 or A2
> size (typical technical drawings).
>
> The bottom right area of size 210 x 330 mm should be "deleted" - or
> over-painted by a white rectangle (or picture or MP code).
>
> And next a new PDF of A4 size should be placed on the right bottom area,
> just on the white ("deleting") area.
>
> I wouldn't have problem with batch processing the number of files.
>
> But I would need an example how to take the original A2 PDF, place a
> whitening area on it and then to place a new PDF over it; I'm not
> experienced enough in "layering" with ConTeXt and I guess this may be the
> way.
>
> Would it be possible to provide a small example of such processing an
> arbitrary file?
I always use this as starting point
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Layers
--
luigi

* Re: Replacing a piece of a paper
@ 2011-01-11 17:32   ` Procházka Lukáš Ing. - Pontex s. r. o.
From: Procházka Lukáš Ing. - Pontex s. r. o. @ 2011-01-11 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

On Tue, 11 Jan 2011 17:45:53 +0100, Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com> wrote:

> An important question: overpainted for your personal needs or in order
> to remove some information from PDF that others are not supposed to
> see?
>
> Mojca

I need to upgrade some drawings, or more precisely, to upgrade their title block as some its fields need to be changed (e.g. date 9/2010 to 1/2011, the "level" of the documentation and so on).

Finally, the PDFs are to be printed to a physical printer (=> physical pieces of paper) and also to be provided to the third party like digital documents. The result should not have layers switchable to on/off, but I believe this can be handled by printing the final (even layered) PDF to another PDF by a virtual printer (e.g. pdfCreator).

Layering was only an idea, which - as I believed - should lead to the goal; although that would probably mean to print the (layered) PDFs manually to the virtual PDF printer.

Or is there another (non-layering or layer-merging) way?

Regards,

Lukas

--

@ 2011-01-11 17:59     ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2011-01-11 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 11 Jan 2011, Procházka Lukáš Ing. - Pontex s. r. o. wrote:

> Or is there another (non-layering or layer-merging) way?

You can also crop the pdf (\clip[mp=shape that you want to
clip]{\externalfigure[...]}) and place that on paper using layers. That
way, even if layers are toggled on a pdfviewer, the reader will see blank
text (as opposed to old text).

But, I believe that clipping still inserts the whole pdf, so if someone
really wanted, they can still extract out the original pdf. So this is not
a failsafe way of hiding information; but is better than just adding a
layer over the title.

Aditya

* Re: Replacing a piece of a paper
@ 2011-01-11 18:26       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-01-11 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11-1-2011 6:59, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Jan 2011, Procházka Lukáš Ing. - Pontex s. r. o. wrote:
>
>> Or is there another (non-layering or layer-merging) way?
>
> You can also crop the pdf (\clip[mp=shape that you want to
> clip]{\externalfigure[...]}) and place that on paper using layers. That
> way, even if layers are toggled on a pdfviewer, the reader will see
> blank text (as opposed to old text).

or just overlay framed with a white background

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* undesired offset with \position (was: Re: Replacing a piece of a paper)
@ 2011-01-11 20:32 ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2011-01-11 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Procházka Lukáš Ing. - Pontex s. r. o. <LPr@pontex.cz> writes:

> Would it be possible to provide a small example of such processing an
> arbitrary file?

Yes.

> I can send a sample A2 or A1 PDF, and also a replacing A4, if necessary.

Not necessary, context can produce such files for you.

Example, using positioning macros, that shows also a problem with
vertical offset:

% Produce A2-example:
\startbuffer[a2]
\setuppapersize[A2]
\setuplayout[page]
\setupbackgrounds[page][background=color, backgroundcolor=blue]
\starttext
\input tufte
\stoptext
\stopbuffer
\savebuffer[a2][a2-page.tex]
\executesystemcommand{context a2-page}

% Produce A4-example:
\startbuffer[a4]
\setuppapersize[A4]
\setuplayout[page]
\starttext
\input tufte
\stoptext
\stopbuffer
\savebuffer[a4][a4-page.tex]
\executesystemcommand{context a4-page}

% Do the job:
\setuppapersize[A2]
\setuplayout[page]
\setuppositioning[state=overlay,
  yoffset=-12pt%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% Why is this offset needed???
]
\starttext
\startpositioning
  \position(0,0){\externalfigure[a2-page]}
  \position(0,0){\framed[frame=off, offset=overlay, background=color,
      backgroundcolor=white]{\externalfigure[a4-page]}}
\stoppositioning
\stoptext

Peter Münster

Contact information: http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/

* Re: Replacing a piece of a paper
@ 2011-01-12  8:39   ` Procházka Lukáš Ing. - Pontex s. r. o.
From: Procházka Lukáš Ing. - Pontex s. r. o. @ 2011-01-12  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

thanks to all for the answers, Peter's solution is closest to that I need. My code now is:

---
\setuppapersize[A1,landscape]
\setuplayout[page]
\setuppositioning
   [state=overlay,
    yoffset=-12pt % Why?
   ]

\starttext
   \startpositioning
     \position(0,0){\rotate[rotation=90]{\externalfigure[TvNK]}}
     \position(630mm,297mm){\framed[frame=off,offset=overlay,background=color,backgroundcolor=white]
                           {\externalfigure[_R]}}
   \stoppositioning
\stoptext
---

I'd still have two questions:

- Is it possible to determine the size of the PDF being inserted (in my case the "TvNK", which is A1)? I'd need to know this because depending on this, I'd need to \setuppapersize[<size-of-PDF-to-be-inserted>,landscape].

- Is it possible to "move" the origin for \positioning to the right bottom corner? It's not "fatal" to know it, as having the PDF size known, I can evaluate 630mm = width.of.A1 - width.of.A4 and 297 = height.of.A1 - height.of.A4;  I'm just curious.

Best regards,

Lukas

@ 2011-01-12  8:45     ` zs
From: zs @ 2011-01-12  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi,

> Finally, the PDFs are to be printed to a physical printer (=> physical pieces of paper) and also to be provided to the third party like digital documents. The result should not have layers switchable to on/off, but I believe this can be handled by printing the final (even layered) PDF to another PDF by a virtual printer (e.g. pdfCreator).
>
> Layering was only an idea, which - as I believed - should lead to the goal; although that would probably mean to print the (layered) PDFs manually to the virtual PDF printer.
>
> Or is there another (non-layering or layer-merging) way?

if you want to get rid of some part of PDF documents and if they are not too many, you can try to import them in Inkscape editor and really delete what is unwanted.

Regards

Zdeněk

* Re: Replacing a piece of a paper
@ 2011-01-12  9:30     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-01-12  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 12.01.2011 um 09:39 schrieb Procházka Lukáš Ing. - Pontex s. r. o.:

> Hello,
>
> thanks to all for the answers, Peter's solution is closest to that I need. My code now is:
>
> ---
> \setuppapersize[A1,landscape]
> \setuplayout[page]
> \setuppositioning
>  [state=overlay,
>   yoffset=-12pt % Why?
>  ]
>
> \starttext
>  \startpositioning
>    \position(0,0){\rotate[rotation=90]{\externalfigure[TvNK]}}
>    \position(630mm,297mm){\framed[frame=off,offset=overlay,background=color,backgroundcolor=white]
>                          {\externalfigure[_R]}}
>  \stoppositioning
> \stoptext
> ---
>
> I'd still have two questions:
>
> - Is it possible to determine the size of the PDF being inserted (in my case the "TvNK", which is A1)? I'd need to know this because depending on this, I'd need to \setuppapersize[<size-of-PDF-to-be-inserted>,landscape].
>
> - Is it possible to "move" the origin for \positioning to the right bottom corner? It's not "fatal" to know it, as having the PDF size known, I can evaluate 630mm = width.of.A1 - width.of.A4 and 297 = height.of.A1 - height.of.A4;  I'm just curious.

\define[2]\Replacement
  {\startTEXpage[background={foreground,replacement}]%
   \layeredtext
     [corner={right,bottom},location={left,top}]
     [background=color,backgroundcolor=white,offset=0pt]
     {\externalfigure[#2]}
     {\externalfigure[#1]}
   \stopTEXpage}

\useexternalfigure[big]  [hacker][scale=3000]
\useexternalfigure[small][cow]

\starttext
\Replacement{big}{small}
\stoptext

\layeredtext is described in the details manuals.

Wolfgang

* Re: Replacing a piece of a paper
@ 2011-01-12 10:56       ` Procházka Lukáš Ing. - Pontex s. r. o.
From: Procházka Lukáš Ing. - Pontex s. r. o. @ 2011-01-12 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

thanks for the code.

On Wed, 12 Jan 2011 10:30:39 +0100, Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:

> \define[2]\Replacement
>   {\startTEXpage[background={foreground,replacement}]%
>    \layeredtext
>      [corner={right,bottom},location={left,top}]
>      [background=color,backgroundcolor=white,offset=0pt]
>      {\externalfigure[#2]}
>      {\externalfigure[#1]}
>    \stopTEXpage}
>
> \useexternalfigure[big]  [hacker][scale=3000]
> \useexternalfigure[small][cow]
>
> \starttext
> \Replacement{big}{small}
> \stoptext
>
> \layeredtext is described in the details manuals.

Which exactly do you mean? I searched for some information about "\layeredtext" and "\startTEXpage[background=". I tried wiki, contextref.pdf and google, also several from http://www.pragma-ade.com/show-man-1.htm, but I'm not much smarter so far.

Best regards,

Lukas

--

@ 2011-01-12 11:02         ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2011-01-12 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

2011/1/12 Procházka Lukáš Ing. - Pontex s. r. o. <LPr@pontex.cz>:
> Hello,
>
> thanks for the code.
>
> On Wed, 12 Jan 2011 10:30:39 +0100, Wolfgang Schuster
> <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> \define[2]\Replacement
>>  {\startTEXpage[background={foreground,replacement}]%
>>   \layeredtext
>>     [corner={right,bottom},location={left,top}]
>>     [background=color,backgroundcolor=white,offset=0pt]
>>     {\externalfigure[#2]}
>>     {\externalfigure[#1]}
>>   \stopTEXpage}
>>
>> \useexternalfigure[big]  [hacker][scale=3000]
>> \useexternalfigure[small][cow]
>>
>> \starttext
>> \Replacement{big}{small}
>> \stoptext
>>
>> \layeredtext is described in the details manuals.
>
> Which exactly do you mean? I searched for some information about
> "\layeredtext" and "\startTEXpage[background=". I tried wiki, contextref.pdf
> and google, also several from http://www.pragma-ade.com/show-man-1.htm, but
> I'm not much smarter so far.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Lukas