* Two questions about use of system ttf fonts
@ 2008-02-29 15:08 Eythan Weg
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Eythan Weg @ 2008-02-29 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi,

I am trying to use truetype fonts with mkiv.

When loading a font given a full path name like
this:

\font\test=/usr/share/fonts/truetype/freefont/FreeSans.ttf at 12pt

the log shows

 report >> load otf: loading: /usr/share/fonts/truetype/freefont//FreeSans.ttf
 report >> load otf: enhance: before
 report >> load otf: enhance: enrich
 report >> load otf: enhance: registering tlig feature
 report >> load otf: enhance: registering trep feature
 report >> load otf: enhance: flatten
 report >> load otf: flattening 'specifications' tables
 report >> load otf: flattening 'anchor' tables
 report >> load otf: flattening 'gpos' tables
 report >> load otf: flattening 'gsub' tables
 report >> load otf: enhance: analyze
 report >> load otf: enhance: after
 report >> load otf: replacing 'kerns' tables by 'mykerns' tables
 report >> load otf: enhance: patch
 report >> load otf: enhance: strip
 report >> load otf: enhance: pack
 report >> load otf: file size: 458648
 report >> load otf: saving: in cache
 fonts          : resetting map file list
 {/usr/local/share/texmf/fonts/map/pdftex/context/original-empty.map}
 fonts          : using map file: original-base
 {/usr/local/share/texmf/fonts/map/pdftex/context/original-base.map}
 fonts          : using map file: lm-math
 {/usr/share/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/lm/lm-math.map}
 fonts          : using map file: lm-rm
 {/usr/share/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/lm/lm-rm.map}
 fonts          : using map file: original-ams-base
 {/usr/local/share/texmf/fonts/map/pdftex/context/original-ams-base.map}
 fonts          : using map file: original-ams-euler
 {/usr/local/share/texmf/fonts/map/pdftex/context/original-ams-euler.map}
 fonts          : using map file: original-public-lm
 {/usr/local/share/texmf/fonts/map/pdftex/context/original-public-lm.map} [1.1]
 systems        : end file 11 at line 24
  )
 !luaTeX error (file FreeSans.ttf): cannot open OpenType font file for reading
  ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!

How can I tell what's wrong?

Defining

\font\test=FreeSans.ttf at 12pt

results in

 error >> define font: font with name FreeSans is not found
 error >> define font: name: FreeSans, loading aborted
 ! Font \test=FreeSans at 12pt not loadable: metric data not found or bad.

while using this construction with luatex's plain format seems to work
(I assume some definition to register the font).

What does context need to find the font?

Thanks,  Eythan

* Re: Two questions about use of system ttf fonts
@ 2008-02-29 17:09 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-02-29 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eythan Weg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to use truetype fonts with mkiv.
>
> When loading a font given a full path name like
> this:
>
> \font\test=/usr/share/fonts/truetype/freefont/FreeSans.ttf at 12pt

do you need to provide the full path?

why not set OSFONTDIR?

OSFONTDIR=/usr/share/fonts/truetype/freefont//

or so

> the log shows
>
>  report >> load otf: loading: /usr/share/fonts/truetype/freefont//FreeSans.ttf
>  report >> load otf: enhance: before
>  report >> load otf: enhance: enrich
>  report >> load otf: enhance: registering tlig feature
>  report >> load otf: enhance: registering trep feature
>  report >> load otf: enhance: flatten
>  report >> load otf: flattening 'specifications' tables
>  report >> load otf: flattening 'anchor' tables
>  report >> load otf: flattening 'gpos' tables
>  report >> load otf: flattening 'gsub' tables
>  report >> load otf: enhance: analyze
>  report >> load otf: enhance: after
>  report >> load otf: replacing 'kerns' tables by 'mykerns' tables
>  report >> load otf: enhance: patch
>  report >> load otf: enhance: strip
>  report >> load otf: enhance: pack
>  report >> load otf: file size: 458648
>  report >> load otf: saving: in cache
>  fonts          : resetting map file list
>  {/usr/local/share/texmf/fonts/map/pdftex/context/original-empty.map}
>  fonts          : using map file: original-base
>  {/usr/local/share/texmf/fonts/map/pdftex/context/original-base.map}
>  fonts          : using map file: lm-math
>  {/usr/share/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/lm/lm-math.map}
>  fonts          : using map file: lm-rm
>  {/usr/share/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/lm/lm-rm.map}
>  fonts          : using map file: original-ams-base
>  {/usr/local/share/texmf/fonts/map/pdftex/context/original-ams-base.map}
>  fonts          : using map file: original-ams-euler
>  {/usr/local/share/texmf/fonts/map/pdftex/context/original-ams-euler.map}
>  fonts          : using map file: original-public-lm
>  {/usr/local/share/texmf/fonts/map/pdftex/context/original-public-lm.map} [1.1]
>  systems        : end file 11 at line 24
>   )
>  !luaTeX error (file FreeSans.ttf): cannot open OpenType font file for reading
>   ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!
>

> How can I tell what's wrong?
>

> Defining
>
> \font\test=FreeSans.ttf at 12pt
>
> results in
>
>  error >> define font: font with name FreeSans is not found
>  error >> define font: name: FreeSans, loading aborted
>  ! Font \test=FreeSans at 12pt not loadable: metric data not found or bad.
>
> while using this construction with luatex's plain format seems to work
> (I assume some definition to register the font).

is there a valid tma file in font cache?

(otherwise send me the font an i can have a look)

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2008-02-29 17:10 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-02-29 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eythan Weg wrote:

> What does context need to find the font?

mtxrun --script font --reload

will generate a font database which will provide access by name

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2008-02-29 18:00 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-02-29 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi Eythan,

i wrote a typescriptfile for the complete family, you try if it will
work for you.

For all toher interested people, you could download the fonts from the
following page (scroll down to the section "Downloading fonts"):
http://www.gnu.org/software/freefont/

Wolfgang

On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 10:08:16 -0500
weg@indiscrete.org (Eythan Weg) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to use truetype fonts with mkiv.
>
> When loading a font given a full path name like
> this:
>
> \font\test=/usr/share/fonts/truetype/freefont/FreeSans.ttf at 12pt
>
> the log shows
>
>  report >> load otf: loading: /usr/share/fonts/truetype/freefont//FreeSans.ttf
>  report >> load otf: enhance: before
>  report >> load otf: enhance: enrich
>  report >> load otf: enhance: registering tlig feature
>  report >> load otf: enhance: registering trep feature
>  report >> load otf: enhance: flatten
>  report >> load otf: flattening 'specifications' tables
>  report >> load otf: flattening 'anchor' tables
>  report >> load otf: flattening 'gpos' tables
>  report >> load otf: flattening 'gsub' tables
>  report >> load otf: enhance: analyze
>  report >> load otf: enhance: after
>  report >> load otf: replacing 'kerns' tables by 'mykerns' tables
>  report >> load otf: enhance: patch
>  report >> load otf: enhance: strip
>  report >> load otf: enhance: pack
>  report >> load otf: file size: 458648
>  report >> load otf: saving: in cache
>  fonts          : resetting map file list
>  {/usr/local/share/texmf/fonts/map/pdftex/context/original-empty.map}
>  fonts          : using map file: original-base
>  {/usr/local/share/texmf/fonts/map/pdftex/context/original-base.map}
>  fonts          : using map file: lm-math
>  {/usr/share/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/lm/lm-math.map}
>  fonts          : using map file: lm-rm
>  {/usr/share/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/lm/lm-rm.map}
>  fonts          : using map file: original-ams-base
>  {/usr/local/share/texmf/fonts/map/pdftex/context/original-ams-base.map}
>  fonts          : using map file: original-ams-euler
>  {/usr/local/share/texmf/fonts/map/pdftex/context/original-ams-euler.map}
>  fonts          : using map file: original-public-lm
>  {/usr/local/share/texmf/fonts/map/pdftex/context/original-public-lm.map} [1.1]
>  systems        : end file 11 at line 24
>   )
>  !luaTeX error (file FreeSans.ttf): cannot open OpenType font file for reading
>   ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!
>

> How can I tell what's wrong?
>

> Defining
>
> \font\test=FreeSans.ttf at 12pt
>
> results in
>
>  error >> define font: font with name FreeSans is not found
>  error >> define font: name: FreeSans, loading aborted
>  ! Font \test=FreeSans at 12pt not loadable: metric data not found or bad.
>
> while using this construction with luatex's plain format seems to work
> (I assume some definition to register the font).
>
> What does context need to find the font?
>
> Thanks,  Eythan

[-- Attachment #2: freefont.tex --]
[-- Type: text/x-tex, Size: 295 bytes --]

\usetypefile[freefont]

\usetypescript[freefont]
\setupbodyfont[freefont]

\def\Example{ABC abc 123\space}

\starttext

\rm \Example \bf \Example \it \Example \bi \Example

\tf\ss \Example \bf \Example \it \Example \bi \Example

\tf\tt \Example \bf \Example \it \Example \bi \Example

\stoptext

[-- Attachment #3: type-freefont.tex --]
[-- Type: text/x-tex, Size: 2933 bytes --]

\starttypescript[serif][freeserif]

\definefontsynonym[Serif]           [FreeSerif-Regular]   [features=default]
\definefontsynonym[SerifBold]       [FreeSerif-Bold]      [features=default]
\definefontsynonym[SerifItalic]     [FreeSerif-Italic]    [features=default]
\definefontsynonym[SerifSlanted]    [FreeSerif-Italic]    [features=default]
\definefontsynonym[SerifBoldItalic] [FreeSerif-BoldItalic][features=default]
\definefontsynonym[SerifBoldSlanted][FreeSerif-BoldItalic][features=default]

\stoptypescript

\starttypescript[sans][freesans]

\definefontsynonym[Sans]           [FreeSans-Regular]   [features=default]
\definefontsynonym[SansBold]       [FreeSans-Bold]      [features=default]
\definefontsynonym[SansItalic]     [FreeSans-Italic]    [features=default]
\definefontsynonym[SansSlanted]    [FreeSans-Italic]    [features=default]
\definefontsynonym[SansBoldItalic] [FreeSans-BoldItalic][features=default]
\definefontsynonym[SansBoldSlanted][FreeSans-BoldItalic][features=default]

\stoptypescript

\starttypescript[mono][freemono]

\definefontsynonym[Mono]           [FreeMono-Regular]   [features=default]
\definefontsynonym[MonoBold]       [FreeMono-Bold]      [features=default]
\definefontsynonym[MonoItalic]     [FreeMono-Italic]    [features=default]
\definefontsynonym[MonoSlanted]    [FreeMono-Italic]    [features=default]
\definefontsynonym[MonoBoldItalic] [FreeMono-BoldItalic][features=default]
\definefontsynonym[MonoBoldSlanted][FreeMono-BoldItalic][features=default]

\stoptypescript

\starttypescript[serif][freeserif]

\definefontsynonym[FreeSerif-Regular]   [name:FreeSerif]          [features=default]
\definefontsynonym[FreeSerif-Bold]      [name:FreeSerifBold]      [features=default]
\definefontsynonym[FreeSerif-Italic]    [name:FreeSerifItalic]    [features=default]
\definefontsynonym[FreeSerif-BoldItalic][name:FreeSerifBoldItalic][features=default]

\stoptypescript

\starttypescript[sans][freesans]

\definefontsynonym[FreeSans-Regular]   [name:FreeSans]           [features=default]
\definefontsynonym[FreeSans-Bold]      [name:FreeSansBold]       [features=default]
\definefontsynonym[FreeSans-Italic]    [name:FreeSansOblique]    [features=default]
\definefontsynonym[FreeSans-BoldItalic][name:FreeSansBoldOblique][features=default]

\stoptypescript

\starttypescript[mono][freemono]

\definefontsynonym[FreeMono-Regular]   [name:FreeMono]           [features=default]
\definefontsynonym[FreeMono-Bold]      [name:FreeMonoBold]       [features=default]
\definefontsynonym[FreeMono-Italic]    [name:FreeMonoOblique]    [features=default]
\definefontsynonym[FreeMono-BoldItalic][name:FreeMonoBoldOblique][features=default]

\stoptypescript

\starttypescript[freefont]

\definetypeface[\typescriptone][rm][serif][freeserif][default]
\definetypeface[\typescriptone][ss][sans] [freesans][default]
\definetypeface[\typescriptone][tt][mono] [freemono][default]

\stoptypescript

\endinput

* Re: Two questions about use of system ttf fonts
@ 2008-03-01 14:59   ` Eythan Weg
From: Eythan Weg @ 2008-03-01 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>
Fri, 29 Feb 2008 18:09:19 +0100

   Eythan Weg wrote:
   > Hi,
   >
   > I am trying to use truetype fonts with mkiv.
   >
   > When loading a font given a full path name like
   > this:
   >
   > \font\test=/usr/share/fonts/truetype/freefont/FreeSans.ttf at 12pt

   do you need to provide the full path?

It turns out that I do not.  But I thought it should work even when OSFONTDIR
is not defined.

   why not set OSFONTDIR?

   OSFONTDIR=/usr/share/fonts/truetype/freefont//

   or so

Well, this type of definition fails with error "error >>
define font: font with name ... is not found"

But this

OSFONTDIR=/usr/share/fonts/truetype/freefont

works.

Also this

OSFONTDIR=/usr/share/fonts/truetype/{freefont,ttf-dejavu}

but these do not:

OSFONTDIR=/usr/share/fonts/truetype/{freefont;ttf-dejavu}
OSFONTDIR=/usr/share/fonts/truetype/{freefont:ttf-dejavu}
OSFONTDIR=/usr/share/fonts/truetype/{freefont,ttf-dejavu}//

Also a definition that works in the shell, fails when appears only in
texmf.cnf  when TEXMFCNF is defined in the shell.

Luatex with plain format does read texmf.cnf and correctly interpret
all the above variations including
OSFONTDIR=/usr/share/fonts/truetype//.

Thank you, eythan

* Re: Two questions about use of system ttf fonts
@ 2008-03-01 15:00   ` Eythan Weg
From: Eythan Weg @ 2008-03-01 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com>
Fri, 29 Feb 2008 19:00:48 +0100

   Hi Eythan,

   i wrote a typescriptfile for the complete family, you try if it will
   work for you.

   For all toher interested people, you could download the fonts from the
   following page (scroll down to the section "Downloading fonts"):
   http://www.gnu.org/software/freefont/

   Wolfgang

Thank you.  I admit though that I do not have an
inherent particular interest in Freefont.  I
have just tried to make the recognition of system
fonts working.  I happen to choose this one.

Probably will make use of the typescripts you have
written as a template for other fonts.

Thanks again, eythan

* Re: Two questions about use of system ttf fonts
@ 2008-03-01 15:27   ` Eythan Weg
From: Eythan Weg @ 2008-03-01 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>
Fri, 29 Feb 2008 18:10:31 +0100

   Eythan Weg wrote:

   > What does context need to find the font?

   mtxrun --script font --reload

   will generate a font database which will provide access by name

   Hans

I created the table as suggested above and in the file names.tma appears a
line line like:

  ["caliban"]={ "ttf", "Caliban", "Caliban.ttf",  false },

I thought one might use

\font\test=caliban at 12pt

but this fails:

     Font \test=caliban at 12pt not loadable: metric data not found or bad.

Now I remove the data base, and also the files

   Caliban.tma
   Caliban.tmc

and define

\font\test=Caliban at 12pt

This works, provided that OSFONTDIR is well-defined in the shell.

Thank you.  eythan

* Re: Two questions about use of system ttf fonts
@ 2008-03-02 13:06     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-03-02 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eythan Weg wrote:
> Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>
> Fri, 29 Feb 2008 18:10:31 +0100
>
>    Eythan Weg wrote:
>
>    > What does context need to find the font?
>
>    mtxrun --script font --reload
>
>    will generate a font database which will provide access by name
>
>    Hans
>
> I created the table as suggested above and in the file names.tma appears a
> line line like:
>
>   ["caliban"]={ "ttf", "Caliban", "Caliban.ttf",  false },
>
> I thought one might use
>
> \font\test=caliban at 12pt
>
> but this fails:
>
>      Font \test=caliban at 12pt not loadable: metric data not found or bad.

weird, smells like a bug  (i need to look into it)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE