From: Todd DeVries <todd@equaltext.com>
Subject: Re: Aligning subsection head with following paragraph in tagged pdf output
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2017 17:09:31 -0600	[thread overview]

Thank you for this information.

Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang@gmail.com> writes:
> The inline heading in your example doesn’t work because \startparagraph
> forces the end of a paragraph for the preceding text.
>
> As you want only tags for the content of your paragraph you can enclose
> your text in \bpar … \epar instead of \startparagraph … \stopparagraph.

That seems to work.  I don't have the ability to directly examine the
pdf's tags table, but the document appears to read
correctly. Sections/subsections/paragraphs are identified. The subsection
is inline with the following paragraph.  I'm not sure what are the
differences between \bpar and \startparagraph, so have used the later
construction for the second paragraph in the subsection.

\setuppapersize[letter]
\setuptagging[state=start]
\setuphead[chapter][style=\bf, number=no, align=middle]
\setuphead[section][style=\bf, number=no]
\setuphead[subsection][style=\bf, number=no, commandafter={.~},
  textdistance=0cm, alternative=text]
\starttext
\startchapter[title=Chapter I]
  \startsection[title=Introduction]
    \startparagraph
      Beginning with the passage of section 504 of the Rehabilitation
      Act of 1974, students with disabilities are participating in
      higher education in increasing numbers (Madaus, 2011). Students
      with psychiatric, learning, and cognitive impairment who once
      considered college out of reach are taking the plunge. …
    \stopparagraph
    \startsubsection[title=Demo Subsection]
      \bpar Numbers for all students moving from high school through a
      bachelors degree in Idaho are worse than in most of the
      nation. Go-on Idaho (2014), an organization dedicated to
      furthering our state's educational outcomes , relates …\epar
      \startparagraph
        The U. S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (2016) report that a
        person's level of education are linked to increased income
        and levels of unemployment. The more education a person has,
        the higher is the average wage and the lower the level of
        unemployment. Educational attainment matters. …
      \stopparagraph
    \stopsubsection
  \stopsection
  \stopchapter