* ConTeXt FAQ -- next generation?
@ 2003-01-19 20:32 Hraban
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Hraban @ 2003-01-19 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ahoi eXperts!

I'd like to start another attempt for a ConTeXt-FAQ-o-matic.
I'm too busy and too less able to do the whole work myself,
so I'd be glad if the appropriate experts would take their part.

We need...
1. a definition (Schema?) for the XML source
2. conversion patterns for ConTeXt (environment) and XHTML (XSLT?)
3. a web surface (with search engine, web edit form etc.)
4. last not least lots of entries

I'd try to coordinate the whole project, will host the site, could care
for 3
and help with the other, but first someone must take responsibility for
1 and 2.
Any volunteers?

Some requirements of the definition (1):
- one XML file can contain all entries
- an other file will contain redundant information like authors
- each entry may contain several languages (I'd like to keep the door
open for partly translations; I imagine that a web user sees his
favourite language if available)
- entry IDs must be in some way, that user contributions (files with
several entries or corrections) can join in.
- markup possibilities like WikiWeb (emphasis, enumeration, easy table,
link)
- proper code markup (e.g. for TeX, ConTeXt, shell, perl code)
- additional (normally invisible) keywords for search engine (web) or
index (TeX)
- some flexible subject/subsubject structure
- some versioning (also like WikiWeb: each user may change every entry,
but an admin must be able to undo it)
- someone suggested to use a DocBook subset; don't know if that's
possible

Requirement of the conversion (2):
- easily adaptable to a new layout (web or print)
- additional software must be open source and run on Debian Linux
(SPARC) (web server) and MacOS X (my machine)

Is anything of the above impossible?

I suppose (1) will result in something like

cookbook
	soups
		recipe id=hr-1
			language lang=en original=yes
				title  /title
				keywords /keywords
				ingredients
					item /item
					item /item
				/ingredients
				preparation
					much text with markup and code snippets
				/preparation
			/language
			language lang=de original=no
				title /title
			/language
		/recipe
	/soups
	desserts
	/desserts
/cookbook

Greets hoping for feedback and helping hands:
Hraban.
--
www.fiee.net/texnique/
www.ramm.ch/context/

* Re: ConTeXt FAQ -- next generation?
@ 2003-01-20 19:36 ` Simon Pepping
From: Simon Pepping @ 2003-01-20 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

This is an interesting idea. I will give it some thought, but since I
do not have much time now, do not expect a quick reply. I will try to
get some idea of the structure you have in mind; that is most
important.

What is the difference between soups and desserts in your FAQ?

You have an item recipe, but not an item describing what you want to
achieve (in a FAQ, the Question).

You call it a FAQ, but you use the metaphor of a cookbook. This
suggests more a HOWTO. It makes some difference I guess.

Simon

Simon Pepping
email: spepping@scaprea.hobby.nl

* Re: ConTeXt FAQ -- next generation?
@ 2003-01-20 19:49 ` Jens-Uwe Morawski
From: Jens-Uwe Morawski @ 2003-01-20 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 19 Jan 2003 21:32:20 +0100
Hraban <angerweit@gmx.net> wrote:

> Ahoi eXperts!
>
> I'd like to start another attempt for a ConTeXt-FAQ-o-matic.

> We need...
> 1. a definition (Schema?) for the XML source
> 2. conversion patterns for ConTeXt (environment) and XHTML (XSLT?)
> 3. a web surface (with search engine, web edit form etc.)
> 4. last not least lots of entries

as already said; i have collected about 150 QAs. Give me 1. and i start
with 4.

Best,
  Jens

* Re: ConTeXt FAQ -- next generation?
@ 2003-01-20 20:03   ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2003-01-20 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

> What is the difference between soups and desserts in your FAQ?

Should be an example of different "main subjects", as say,
basics, floats, tables, XML etc.

> You have an item recipe, but not an item describing what you want to
> achieve (in a FAQ, the Question).

You're right, I forgot that, i.e. I mis-named it "title".

> You call it a FAQ, but you use the metaphor of a cookbook. This
> suggests more a HOWTO. It makes some difference I guess.

I had the nice "Perl Cookbook" by O'Reilly in mind:
Chapters for main subjects, short questions as subsubjects,
"long" answers (call them howto).

I'd suggest to stay with "cookbook" instead of "FAQ"; my wife promised
  to draw a nice logo (a lion cook with tulips in a pan...) ;-)

I hope we will get a printed ConTeXt book somewhen, and I like O'Reilly
books...

Grüßlis vom Hraban!
--

@ 2003-01-20 20:16   ` Michael Wiedmann
From: Michael Wiedmann @ 2003-01-20 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Jens-Uwe Morawski <morawski@gmx.net> [030120 20:49]:
> Hraban <angerweit@gmx.net> wrote:
> > 1. a definition (Schema?) for the XML source
> as already said; i have collected about 150 QAs. Give me 1. and i start
> with 4.

<question>, and <answer> tags as source for the FAQ?

This would give Simon give another 'real life' testcase for his
'DocBook In ConTeXt'...

Michael
--
mw@miwie.in-berlin.de                              http://www.miwie.org
mw@miwie.org

* Re: ConTeXt FAQ -- next generation?
@ 2003-01-22 23:18 ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2003-01-22 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hraban <angerweit@gmx.net> writes:

Hello Henning,

> I'd like to start another attempt for a ConTeXt-FAQ-o-matic.
> I'm too busy and too less able to do the whole work myself,
> so I'd be glad if the appropriate experts would take their part.

I'd like to collect the fruits from the effort:

Feature request: get an extract from the (faq-o-matic) xml-file for
exactly one command in a language via http request. So I can format
the xml file on the local computer. That would be an interesting
feature for my etexshow, which already has commenting support in the
latest release.

Patrick

* Re: Re: ConTeXt FAQ -- next generation?
@ 2003-01-23 18:43   ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2003-01-23 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Feature request: get an extract from the (faq-o-matic) xml-file for
> exactly one command in a language via http request. So I can format
> the xml file on the local computer. That would be an interesting
> feature for my etexshow, which already has commenting support in the
> latest release.

I planned to implement such (filter for every type of output), but
first I need an XML definition. And then I'll need some time to get
everything working...

Grüßlis vom Hraban!
--
www.fiee.net/texnique/