* left protruding quotations
@ 2020-05-14  8:37 Michael Guravage
From: Michael Guravage @ 2020-05-14  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

When I start a paragraph with a \quote or a \quotation the left quotemark
does not protrude, but when I use Unicode quotes it does. I would prefer to
use the commands. Any suggestions on how I can achieve proper left
protrusion without resorting to Unicode characters?

Cheers,

Michael

[-- Attachment #2: hangit.tex --]
[-- Type: text/x-tex, Size: 1866 bytes --]

% Setup hanging punctuation, less severe style
\definefontfeature
  [default]
  [default]
  %%[protrusion=quality,expansion=quality]
  [protrusion=punctuation,expansion=quality]

\setupalign[hz,hanging]

% Setup white space between paragraphs
\setupwhitespace[medium]

% Choose a font
\setupbodyfont[pagella,11pt]
\setupbodyfontenvironment[default][em=italic]

\showframe

\starttext

  \input tufte

  \quotation{We thrive in information||thick worlds} because of our
  marvelous and everyday capacity to select, edit, single out,
  structure, highlight, group, pair, merge, harmonize, synthesize,
  focus, organize, condense, reduce, boil down, choose, categorize,
  catalog, classify, list, abstract, scan, look into, idealize,
  isolate, discriminate, distinguish, screen, pigeonhole, pick over,
  sort, integrate, blend, inspect, filter, lump, skip, smooth, chunk,
  average, approximate, cluster, aggregate, outline, summarize,
  itemize, review, dip into, flip through, browse, glance into, leaf
  through, skim, refine, enumerate, glean, synopsize, winnow the wheat
  from the chaff and separate the sheep from the goats.

  “We thrive in information||thick worlds” because of our marvelous
  and everyday capacity to select, edit, single out, structure,
  highlight, group, pair, merge, harmonize, synthesize, focus,
  organize, condense, reduce, boil down, choose, categorize, catalog,
  classify, list, abstract, scan, look into, idealize, isolate,
  discriminate, distinguish, screen, pigeonhole, pick over, sort,
  integrate, blend, inspect, filter, lump, skip, smooth, chunk,
  average, approximate, cluster, aggregate, outline, summarize,
  itemize, review, dip into, flip through, browse, glance into, leaf
  through, skim, refine, enumerate, glean, synopsize, winnow the wheat
  from the chaff and separate the sheep from the goats.

\stoptext

[-- Attachment #3: hangit.pdf --]

* Re: left protruding quotations
@ 2020-05-14 15:21 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2020-05-14 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael Guravage schrieb am 14.05.2020 um 10:37:
> When I start a paragraph with a \quote or a \quotation the left
> quotemark does not protrude, but when I use Unicode quotes it does. I
> would prefer to use the commands. Any suggestions on how I can
> achieve proper left protrusion without resorting to Unicode characters?

\setupquotation [method=font]
\setupquote     [method=font]

Wolfgang

* Re: left protruding quotations
@ 2020-05-14 15:31   ` Rik Kabel
From: Rik Kabel @ 2020-05-14 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 5/14/2020 11:21, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
> Michael Guravage schrieb am 14.05.2020 um 10:37:
>> When I start a paragraph with a \quote or a \quotation the left
>> quotemark does not protrude, but when I use Unicode quotes it does. I
>> would prefer to use the commands. Any suggestions on how I can
>> achieve proper left protrusion without resorting to Unicode characters?
>
> \setupquotation [method=font]
> \setupquote     [method=font]

Interestingly, \setupquotation in this situation provides protrusion for
both \quote and \quotation open marks, while \setupquote does so only
for \quote open marks, so only one is needed if you want it for both,
and neither works if you want it for only \setupquotation. Perhaps it is
different with some other language-specific marks.

--
Rik

* Re: left protruding quotations
@ 2020-05-14 15:49     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2020-05-14 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Rik Kabel schrieb am 14.05.2020 um 17:31:

> On 5/14/2020 11:21, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>> Michael Guravage schrieb am 14.05.2020 um 10:37:
>>> When I start a paragraph with a \quote or a \quotation the left
>>> quotemark does not protrude, but when I use Unicode quotes it does.
>>> I would prefer to use the commands. Any suggestions on how I can
>>> achieve proper left protrusion without resorting to Unicode characters?
>>
>> \setupquotation [method=font]
>> \setupquote     [method=font]
>>
> Interestingly, \setupquotation in this situation provides protrusion
> for both \quote and \quotation open marks, while \setupquote does so
> only for \quote open marks, so only one is needed if you want it for
> both, and neither works if you want it for only \setupquotation.
> Perhaps it is different with some other language-specific marks.

\quote inherits its values from \quotation but you can always set value
only for \quote, e.g.

\setupquotation [method=font]
\setupquote     [method=]

enables hanging punctuation for \quotation only.

Wolfgang