* epigraph
@ 2002-11-28 19:47 Simon Pepping
From: Simon Pepping @ 2002-11-28 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am trying to find out how to format a so-called epigraph, a motto at
the start of an article or section. I have made this construct:

\tabskip=0pt plus 1fill
\halign to\hsize{#\hfil\tabskip=0pt\cr
``The sky is blue''\cr
``The sky is very blue''\cr
\noalign{\vskip 6pt}
\hfill {Simon Pepping}\cr
}

It is very plain TeX. Is there a higher level Context construct that
would be appropriate here?

Regards, Simon

--
Simon Pepping
email: spepping@scaprea.hobby.nl

* Re: epigraph
@ 2002-11-28 20:04 ` Bruce D'Arcus
From: Bruce D'Arcus @ 2002-11-28 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thursday, November 28, 2002, at 02:47 PM, Simon Pepping wrote:

> Is there a higher level Context construct that
> would be appropriate here?

And shouldn't we have an epigraph environment Hans?   ;-)

Bruce

* Re[2]: epigraph
@ 2002-11-29 11:23   ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2002-11-29 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Thursday, November 28, 2002 Bruce D'Arcus wrote:

BDA> On Thursday, November 28, 2002, at 02:47 PM, Simon Pepping wrote:

>> Is there a higher level Context construct that
>> would be appropriate here?

BDA> And shouldn't we have an epigraph environment Hans?   ;-)

You can use the xdesc module I developed to define a very
flexible epigraph environment (i.e. one which also allows you to
have a "list of epigraphs" etc).

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

* Re[2]: epigraph
@ 2002-11-29 11:30   ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2002-11-29 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thursday, November 28, 2002 Bruce D'Arcus wrote:

BDA> On Thursday, November 28, 2002, at 02:47 PM, Simon Pepping wrote:

>> Is there a higher level Context construct that
>> would be appropriate here?

BDA> And shouldn't we have an epigraph environment Hans?   ;-)

You can use the xdesc module I developed to define a very
flexible epigraph environment (i.e. one which also allows you to
have a "list of epigraphs" etc).

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

* Re: Re[2]: epigraph
@ 2002-11-29 13:11     ` Bruce D'Arcus
From: Bruce D'Arcus @ 2002-11-29 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Friday, November 29, 2002, at 06:30 AM, Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:

> Thursday, November 28, 2002 Bruce D'Arcus wrote:
> BDA> On Thursday, November 28, 2002, at 02:47 PM, Simon Pepping wrote:
>
>>> Is there a higher level Context construct that
>>> would be appropriate here?
>
> BDA> And shouldn't we have an epigraph environment Hans?   ;-)
>
> You can use the xdesc module I developed to define a very
> flexible epigraph environment (i.e. one which also allows you to
> have a "list of epigraphs" etc).

"You" in this context is me, as an individual?  The issue I have here
(and it may well not be an issue, since I'm not sure I grasp every
detail) is the one I mentioned last week:

If we are going to be able to have elegant and flexible typesetting of
DocBook files, shouldn't DocBook structures like epigraph be in the
core?  Simon shouldn't have to generate lower-level code for these sort
of things (the meta info stuff as well) with his project, because it
then becomes more difficult for the user to customize output (and for
him to maintain the code?).

Or am I missing something?

Bruce

* Re[4]: epigraph
@ 2002-11-29 16:16       ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2002-11-29 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Friday, November 29, 2002 Bruce D'Arcus wrote:

>> You can use the xdesc module I developed to define a very
>> flexible epigraph environment (i.e. one which also allows you to
>> have a "list of epigraphs" etc).

BDA> "You" in this context is me, as an individual?

Yes.

BDA>   The issue I have here
BDA> (and it may well not be an issue, since I'm not sure I grasp every
BDA> detail) is the one I mentioned last week:

BDA> If we are going to be able to have elegant and flexible typesetting of
BDA> DocBook files, shouldn't DocBook structures like epigraph be in the
BDA> core?  Simon shouldn't have to generate lower-level code for these sort
BDA> of things (the meta info stuff as well) with his project, because it
BDA> then becomes more difficult for the user to customize output (and for
BDA> him to maintain the code?).

BDA> Or am I missing something?

You're not. IMO the whole xdesc module should get into the core
--it can work as a base for bibliographies, too, for example.

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

* Re: Re[2]: epigraph
@ 2002-11-29 19:12       ` Simon Pepping
From: Simon Pepping @ 2002-11-29 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Nov 29, 2002 at 08:11:17AM -0500, Bruce D'Arcus wrote:

> On Friday, November 29, 2002, at 06:30 AM, Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:
>
> >You can use the xdesc module I developed to define a very
> >flexible epigraph environment (i.e. one which also allows you to
> >have a "list of epigraphs" etc).

Where do I find it?

> If we are going to be able to have elegant and flexible typesetting of
> DocBook files, shouldn't DocBook structures like epigraph be in the
> core?  Simon shouldn't have to generate lower-level code for these sort
> of things (the meta info stuff as well) with his project, because it
> then becomes more difficult for the user to customize output (and for
> him to maintain the code?).

If in DocbookInContext I map to a Context construct, then the user can
use the configuration options of that construct. If I use a low-level
construct, then the user can only use the configuration options that I
program in (or any other contributor). I would like to avoid that.

Regards, Simon

--

@ 2002-11-29 22:41         ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2002-11-29 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)