* [NTG-context] breakpoints in verbatim text
@ 2023-08-17 12:41 Alex Leray
From: Alex Leray @ 2023-08-17 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'd like to break lines in verbatim on certain characters like "/".

I can do it for normal texte, but not inside typing environment.

Is there a way to achieve this?

Below is my test code.

Thanks,

Alex

* * *

\setuppapersize[A7]
\setbreakpoints[compound]

\starttext
1. This is the truth: waste-not-want-not \par
2. This is the truth: waste/not/want/not \par
3. This is the truth: waste+not+want+not \par
4. This is the truth: waste(not(want(not)) \par
5. This is the truth: ((waste)not)want)not

\starttyping[lines=yes]
1. Thisisthetruth:waste-not-want-not \par
2. Thisisthetruth:waste/not/want/not \par
3. Thisisthetruth:waste+not+want+not \par
4. Thisisthetruth:waste(not(want(not)) \par
5. Thisisthetruth:((waste)not)want)not
\stoptyping
\stoptext

* [NTG-context] Re: breakpoints in verbatim text
@ 2023-08-17 14:32 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2023-08-17 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context, Wolfgang Schuster

On 8/17/2023 2:41 PM, Alex Leray wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to break lines in verbatim on certain characters like "/".
>
> I can do it for normal texte, but not inside typing environment.
>
> Is there a way to achieve this?

For now do this:

   \appendtoks
      \usesetupsparameter\typingparameter
   \to \everyinitializeverbatim

and then

   \startsetups typing:mine
       \setbreakpoints[compound]
   \stopsetups

with

   \starttyping[lines=yes,setups=typing:mine]

I need Wolfgang to check it for possible interferences.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* [NTG-context] Re: breakpoints in verbatim text
@ 2023-08-17 14:47   ` Alex Leray
From: Alex Leray @ 2023-08-17 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Thanks,

Unfortunatly, it doesn't work (no difference in output with or without
the `setups` parameter)

I'm not up-to-date, Should I update? Here is my version.

mtx-context     | current version: 2023.03.10 12:15

Many thanks

Le 17/08/23 à 16:32, Hans Hagen a écrit :
> On 8/17/2023 2:41 PM, Alex Leray wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'd like to break lines in verbatim on certain characters like "/".
>>
>> I can do it for normal texte, but not inside typing environment.
>>
>> Is there a way to achieve this?
>
> For now do this:
>
>    \appendtoks
>       \usesetupsparameter\typingparameter
>    \to \everyinitializeverbatim
>
> and then
>
>    \startsetups typing:mine
>        \setbreakpoints[compound]
>    \stopsetups
>
> with
>
>    \starttyping[lines=yes,setups=typing:mine]
>
> I need Wolfgang to check it for possible interferences.
>
> Hans

>                                            Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
>                Ridderstraat 27 | 8061 GH Hasselt | The Netherlands
>         tel: 038 477 53 69 | www.pragma-ade.nl | www.pragma-pod.nl

Alexandre Leray
+32 487 947 030

Avez-vous pensé à (vous) offrir Médor ?
https://medor.coop/ideescadeau

* [NTG-context] Re: breakpoints in verbatim text
@ 2023-08-17 15:22 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2023-08-17 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alex Leray schrieb am 17.08.2023 um 14:41:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to break lines in verbatim on certain characters like "/".
>
> I can do it for normal texte, but not inside typing environment.

Do you need the verbatim environment or is the lines-environment sufficient.

\setuppapersize[A7]
\setbreakpoints[compound]

\starttext

\startlines[style=mono]
1. Thisisthetruth:waste-not-want-not
2. Thisisthetruth:waste/not/want/not
3. Thisisthetruth:waste+not+want+not
4. Thisisthetruth:waste(not(want(not))
5. Thisisthetruth(waste)not)want)not
\stoplines

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* [NTG-context] Re: breakpoints in verbatim text
@ 2023-08-17 15:59   ` Alex Leray
From: Alex Leray @ 2023-08-17 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi,

I think I need to use verbatim because I'm typesetting source code and I
need it to be as verbatim as possible.

For the moment, I'm manually inserting zero-width spaces... seems to do
the trick, although it's becoming unreadable :P

Thanks,

Alex

@ 2023-08-17 16:23     ` Wolfgang Schuster
       [not found]       ` <7f05a67b-2e44-a590-0768-3c6dc23f5349@stdin.fr>
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2023-08-17 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alex Leray schrieb am 17.08.2023 um 17:59:
> Hi,
>
> I think I need to use verbatim because I'm typesetting source code and
> I need it to be as verbatim as possible.
>
> For the moment, I'm manually inserting zero-width spaces... seems to
> do the trick, although it's becoming unreadable :P

Which language do you have to typeset, maybe the scite module already
supports it.
A real example rather than dummy text can be of help to give a proper
solution.

Wolfgang

* [NTG-context] Re: breakpoints in verbatim text
       [not found]             ` <54f222a3-fbf7-e5dc-4dc7-71c4ddfc7d1d@gmail.com>
@ 2023-08-18 11:19               ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2023-08-18 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Alex Leray schrieb am 18.08.2023 um 12:19:
>> Hello Wolfgang,
>>
>> Le 17/08/23 à 18:56, Wolfgang Schuster a écrit :
>>> Is it correct all your listing are HTML code and you need line breaks
>>> for the entries of the href attributes?
>>
>> The content is from a dutch net-artist artist from the early days of
>> the public web, and is often (volontary) mixing different natural nd
>> machine langages. Not all snippets are HTML, but most of them are some
>> sort of HTML pidgin.
>

> I see, the typing environment is in this case the safest option to
> ensure special characters like % remain i the output.
>
> For simple text without special characters you could have switched to
> the lines environment and use a monospaced but
> I wouldn't trust it here (even when you enable \asciimode).
>

>>> Syntax highlighting of the code listing isn't needed in your case.
>>
>> No, I don't need syntax highlighting
>>
>> My problem is solved using manual zero width spaces at the moment but
>> I'd be interested to find a more structural solution.
>>
>> Checking at the Context source code I would have thought that
>> breakpoints were possible withing typing env. See
>>
>> https://source.contextgarden.net/tex/context/base/mkiv/buff-ver.mkiv?search=typing#l51
>>
>> It would be interesting to document on the wiki that behavior, which I
>> can do later when my understanding is better.
>
> The typing environment disables the breakpoint (and a few other)
> mechanism because they can lead to undesired
> side effects but Hans suggestion to provide a hook which can be used to
> re-enable the feature, e.g.
>
>      \startsetups [typing:mine]
>          \setbreakpoints[compound]
>      \stopsetups
>
>      \setuptyping [CUSTOM] [setups=typing:mine]
>
> The only flaw I can see in the suggestion is the use of the
> \everyinitializeverbatim register because it is used for
> inline and display verbatim. A better place to add the option is
> \buff_verbatim_initialize_typing_two for \starttyping
> and \buff_verbatim_initialize_type_two for \type.

ok

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE