* Columnsets and placement of figures
@ 2011-05-09 11:32 Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2011-05-09 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NTG-Context ConTeXt users

Dear list,

In a document with a columnsets there are many directives to place figures on certain spots (see columns-manual).

I deal with a two-columns layout.
Now I would need to place a figure in the first column at the lower left edge. Here the command

\placefigure[bots][]{none}{\externalfigure[fake][width=\textwidth,height=3cm]}

will  not result in the figure at the bottom of the page, instead turns up at the top.

For testing please refer to the minimal example below.

I am using
This is LuaTeX, Version beta-0.66.0-2011041318 (rev 4144)
ConTeXt  ver: 2011.05.01 12:50 MKIV  fmt: 2011.5.4  int: english/englis

Thanks, kind regards

Willi

[-- Attachment #2: test-columnset.tex --]

% Context file
% Filename: test-columnset.tex
%
% 09-05-2011
% Copyright (c) 2011 BOEDE. All rights reserved.

%\showframe
\useMPlibrary[dum]

\setuptolerance[tolerant,stretch]

\definecolumnset[Doublecoltext][n=2]
\setupcolumnset[Doublecoltext][1][width=.45\textwidth]
\setupcolumnset[Doublecoltext][2][width=.45\textwidth,distance=.1\textwidth]

\starttext
\startcolumnset[Doubletext]
  \placefigure[bots][]{none}{\externalfigure[fake][width=\textwidth,height=3cm]}
  % \placefigure[bots][]{none}{\externalfigure[fake][width=2\textwidth,height=3cm]}

One of the directives given in the columns-manual is \quotation{bots}. Herewith the figure should be placed at the bottom of the textarea:

  \dorecurse{4}{\input tufte \blank}
\stopcolumnset
\stoptext

* Re: Columnsets and placement of figures
@ 2011-05-09 16:34 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-05-09 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 09.05.2011 um 13:32 schrieb Willi Egger:

> Dear list,
>
> In a document with a columnsets there are many directives to place figures on certain spots (see columns-manual).
>
> I deal with a two-columns layout.
> Now I would need to place a figure in the first column at the lower left edge. Here the command
>
> \placefigure[bots][]{none}{\externalfigure[fake][width=\textwidth,height=3cm]}
>
> will  not result in the figure at the bottom of the page, instead turns up at the top.

As i can’t find any reference to a “bots” keyword it isn’t a valid option.
Why don’t you use “bottom” or “lrbt” to place your picture.

Wolfgang

* Re: Columnsets and placement of figures
@ 2011-05-12  8:11   ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2011-05-12  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Wolfgang,

The option 'bots' is described in the Columns manual  (page 18). Yes I was looking in the source, but was unable to understand what I found. I saw, that there are commented lines in page-ini.mkiv (lines 230 and ff).
In columnsets "bottom" has no effect.
Indeed lrbt does place the figure at the bottom. The struggle is, that I have to be able to place the figure as well left as right aligned. So the option rlbt should do this, but doesn't. All together I came then to the conclusion that one should place the float at the bottom with 'bots' and add an offset. But maybe I miss something...
Th solution I have now is
\startcolumnset
	\placefigure[lrbt][]{none}{\offset[x=1cm]{\externalfigure[fake][width=2\textwidth,height=3cm]}} % for moving the float to the right
\stopcolumnset

\startcolumnset
		\placefigure[lrbt][]{none}{\externalfigure[fake][width=2\textwidth,height=3cm]} % for a left aligned float.
\stopcolumnset

Kind regards

Willi

@ 2011-05-12 16:12     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-05-12 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 12.05.2011 um 10:11 schrieb Willi Egger:

> In columnsets "bottom" has no effect.

When I use “bottom” in our example context reserves space for the figure at the bottom but the figure itself doesn’t appear.

> Indeed lrbt does place the figure at the bottom. The struggle is, that I have to be able to place the figure as well left as right aligned. So the option rlbt should do this, but doesn't. All together I came then to the conclusion that one should place the float at the bottom with 'bots' and add an offset. But maybe I miss something...
> Th solution I have now is
> \startcolumnset
> 	\placefigure[lrbt][]{none}{\offset[x=1cm]{\externalfigure[fake][width=2\textwidth,height=3cm]}} % for moving the float to the right
> \stopcolumnset
>
> \startcolumnset
> 		\placefigure[lrbt][]{none}{\externalfigure[fake][width=2\textwidth,height=3cm]} % for a left aligned float.
> \stopcolumnset

Why don’t you stretch the figure the whole width of the two columns and the distance between them. I saw in the manual a example where Hans defined a command \Two which does this.

Wolfgang

* Re: Columnsets and placement of figures
@ 2011-05-13 16:03       ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2011-05-13 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Wolfgang,

On 12 May 2011, at 18:12, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> Am 12.05.2011 um 10:11 schrieb Willi Egger:
>
>> In columnsets "bottom" has no effect.
>
> When I use “bottom” in our example context reserves space for the figure at the bottom but the figure itself doesn’t appear.

hm, ????

>> Indeed lrbt does place the figure at the bottom. The struggle is, that I have to be able to place the figure as well left as right aligned. So the option rlbt should do this, but doesn't. All together I came then to the conclusion that one should place the float at the bottom with 'bots' and add an offset. But maybe I miss something...
>> Th solution I have now is
>> \startcolumnset
>> 	\placefigure[lrbt][]{none}{\offset[x=1cm]{\externalfigure[fake][width=2\textwidth,height=3cm]}} % for moving the float to the right
>> \stopcolumnset
>>
>> \startcolumnset
>> 		\placefigure[lrbt][]{none}{\externalfigure[fake][width=2\textwidth,height=3cm]} % for a left aligned float.
>> \stopcolumnset
>
> Why don’t you stretch the figure the whole width of the two columns and the distance between them. I saw in the manual a example where Hans defined a command \Two which does this.

Unfortunately the graphics to be place are not of the double-column-width. So I need to be able to place them either left of right aligned relative to the left/right margin...

Thanks for your comments
Willi