* running PlainTeX from beta
@ 2014-07-11 17:06 Meer, H. van der
From: Meer, H. van der @ 2014-07-11 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NTG ConTeXt

I have some plaintex code to run from the ConTeXt beta-distribution, because I didn't install the complete TeXp-distribution (and if possible prefer to keep it that way).

I did not fare well with running "texexec --make plain" and "mtxrun --script plain myfile.tex"
The first command does not give a sign of dumping the plain format somewhere, the second command complains "I can't find the format file luatex-plain.fmt"

It looks if I am on the wrong track for using luatex with plain. Will someone please be so kind to turn me in the right direction?

Hans van der Meer

* Re: running PlainTeX from beta
@ 2014-07-11 17:10 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2014-07-11 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 7/11/2014 7:06 PM, Meer, H. van der wrote:
> I have some plaintex code to run from the ConTeXt beta-distribution, because I didn't install the complete TeXp-distribution (and if possible prefer to keep it that way).
>
> I did not fare well with running "texexec --make plain" and "mtxrun --script plain myfile.tex"
> The first command does not give a sign of dumping the plain format somewhere, the second command complains "I can't find the format file luatex-plain.fmt"
>
> It looks if I am on the wrong track for using luatex with plain. Will someone please be so kind to turn me in the right direction?

mtxrun --script plain --make

mtxrun --script plain yourfile.tex

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2014-07-11 17:13   ` Philipp Gesang
From: Philipp Gesang @ 2014-07-11 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

···<date: 2014-07-11, Friday>···<from: Hans Hagen>···

> On 7/11/2014 7:06 PM, Meer, H. van der wrote:
> > I have some plaintex code to run from the ConTeXt beta-distribution, because I didn't install the complete TeXp-distribution (and if possible prefer to keep it that way).
> >
> > I did not fare well with running "texexec --make plain" and "mtxrun --script plain myfile.tex"
> > The first command does not give a sign of dumping the plain format somewhere, the second command complains "I can't find the format file luatex-plain.fmt"
> >
> > It looks if I am on the wrong track for using luatex with plain. Will someone please be so kind to turn me in the right direction?
>
> mtxrun --script plain --make

While you’re at it, could you please report back whether this
succeeds immediately or bombs out like so:

    Preloading the plain format: codes, registers, parameters, fonts, more fonts,
    ! Font \preloaded=manfnt not loadable: metric data not found or bad.
    <to be read again>
    \par

Thanks!
Philipp

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 819 bytes --]

* Re: running PlainTeX from beta
@ 2014-07-11 19:50     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2014-07-11 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 7/11/2014 7:13 PM, Philipp Gesang wrote:
> ···<date: 2014-07-11, Friday>···<from: Hans Hagen>···
>
>> On 7/11/2014 7:06 PM, Meer, H. van der wrote:
>>> I have some plaintex code to run from the ConTeXt beta-distribution, because I didn't install the complete TeXp-distribution (and if possible prefer to keep it that way).
>>>
>>> I did not fare well with running "texexec --make plain" and "mtxrun --script plain myfile.tex"
>>> The first command does not give a sign of dumping the plain format somewhere, the second command complains "I can't find the format file luatex-plain.fmt"
>>>
>>> It looks if I am on the wrong track for using luatex with plain. Will someone please be so kind to turn me in the right direction?
>>
>> mtxrun --script plain --make
>
> While you’re at it, could you please report back whether this
> succeeds immediately or bombs out like so:
>
>      Preloading the plain format: codes, registers, parameters, fonts, more fonts,
>      ! Font \preloaded=manfnt not loadable: metric data not found or bad.
>      <to be read again>
>      \par

you can just hit return then ... for some reason manfnt is not in the
distribution

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2014-07-11 21:41       ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2014-07-11 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11 Jul 2014, at 21:50, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
> […]
> you can just hit return then ... for some reason manfnt is not in the distribution
>
> Hans

However the plain TeX format from the standalone does not produce anything with the following minimal example:

%%% begin test-plaintex.tex
This is intended to test Plain \TeX\ from the ConTeXt stand-alone.

An elementary identity: $(a + b)^2 = a^2 + 2ab + b^2$.
And a well-known identity due to Leonhard Euler  in which the five most important numbers appear:
$$
{\rm e}^{{\rm i}\pi} + 1 = 0, \qquad \hbox{where }\; {\rm i} := \sqrt{-1}.
$$

\bye
%%% end test-plaintex.tex

Saying in the Terminal:
	mtxrun --script plain basic-plaintex.tex

results in
	mtx-plain | running command 'luatex --fmt=luatex-plain "basic-plaintex.tex »’
	This is LuaTeX, Version beta-0.79.1 (TeX Live 2014/dev) (rev 4972)
	\write18 enabled.

What is going on? (The above file typsets without problem with Plain TeX from TeX Live 2014).
Best regards: OK

* Re: running PlainTeX from beta
@ 2014-07-11 22:41         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2014-07-11 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 7/11/2014 11:41 PM, Otared Kavian wrote:

> On 11 Jul 2014, at 21:50, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
>> […]
>> you can just hit return then ... for some reason manfnt is not in the distribution
>>
>> Hans
>
> However the plain TeX format from the standalone does not produce anything with the following minimal example:
>
> %%% begin test-plaintex.tex
> This is intended to test Plain \TeX\ from the ConTeXt stand-alone.
>
> An elementary identity: $(a + b)^2 = a^2 + 2ab + b^2$.
> And a well-known identity due to Leonhard Euler  in which the five most important numbers appear:
> $$
> {\rm e}^{{\rm i}\pi} + 1 = 0, \qquad \hbox{where }\; {\rm i} := \sqrt{-1}.
> $$
>
> \bye
> %%% end test-plaintex.tex
>
> Saying in the Terminal:
> 	mtxrun --script plain basic-plaintex.tex
>
> results in
> 	mtx-plain | running command 'luatex --fmt=luatex-plain "basic-plaintex.tex »’
> 	This is LuaTeX, Version beta-0.79.1 (TeX Live 2014/dev) (rev 4972)
> 	\write18 enabled.

basic-plaintex or test-plaintex?

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2014-07-12  7:31           ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2014-07-12  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12 Jul 2014, at 00:41, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> […]
> basic-plaintex or test-plaintex?

Sorry for the mismatch in the names: the file I tested is named basic-plaintex.tex, that’s why the message from Plain LuaTeX refers to that name.
While putting that minimal example in my message, I surrounded it with

	%%% begin test-plaintex.tex

	%%% end test-plaintex.tex

I should have said
	%%% begin basic-plaintex.tex

indeed…

Best regards: OK

* Re: running PlainTeX from beta
@ 2014-07-12 12:32             ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2014-07-12 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 7/12/2014 9:31 AM, Otared Kavian wrote:

> On 12 Jul 2014, at 00:41, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl
> <mailto:pragma@wxs.nl>> wrote:
>
>> […]
>> basic-plaintex or test-plaintex?
>
> Sorry for the mismatch in the names: the file I tested is named
> basic-plaintex.tex, that’s why the message from Plain LuaTeX refers to
> that name.
> While putting that minimal example in my message, I surrounded it with
>
> %%% begin test-plaintex.tex
>
> %%% end test-plaintex.tex
>
> I should have said
> %%% begin basic-plaintex.tex
>
> indeed…

anyway .. it compiles okay here with mtxrun --script plain ...

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2014-07-12 12:53               ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2014-07-12 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12 Jul 2014, at 14:32, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> […]
> anyway .. it compiles okay here with mtxrun --script plain …

Thanks for testing, but actually this is not a big issue, since one can use the plain LuaTeX from TexLive 2014.
But maybe it is useful to understand what is lacking in the stand-alone ConTeXt for this to run correctly.

Best regards: OK

* Re: running PlainTeX from beta
@ 2014-07-12 12:58                 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2014-07-12 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 7/12/2014 2:53 PM, Otared Kavian wrote:

> On 12 Jul 2014, at 14:32, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
>
>> […]
>> anyway .. it compiles okay here with mtxrun --script plain …
>
> Thanks for testing, but actually this is not a big issue, since one can use the plain LuaTeX from TexLive 2014.
> But maybe it is useful to understand what is lacking in the stand-alone ConTeXt for this to run correctly.

indeed, also (at least for me) the plain shipped with context is the
reference

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2014-07-12 13:19               ` Werner Hintze
From: Werner Hintze @ 2014-07-12 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

I can’t figure out how to change the chapter heading. More important:
I have no idea where to find the needed information. What I want to see
is for example:

Kapitel: Blablabla

I believe this works somehow with setuphead, but in the Manual I find
just the list of options and the sentence »many of this options will be
explained later«, but no hing when and where. The Wiki doesn’t help
either. The best I can get is:

1.1 Blablabla

But hat’s not what I need…

I’m sure this is a stupid question, but I’m looking since some hours
for a solution and didn’t make the sloghtest progress…

Where can I find these informations?

* sections without numbering
@ 2014-07-13  7:03                 ` Philipp Gesang
From: Philipp Gesang @ 2014-07-13  7:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Werner!

···<date: 2014-07-12, Saturday>···<from: Werner Hintze>···

> I can’t figure out how to change the chapter heading. More important:
> I have no idea where to find the needed information. What I want to see
> is for example:
>
> Kapitel: Blablabla

Several unnumbered structures are predefined.

    \setuphead [subject] [before=Kapitel~]
    \starttext
      \startsubject [title=foo] \input knuth \stopsubject
    \stoptext

If you wish for the styles of the label and the title to match,
you’ll have to assign them manually:

    \definealternativestyle [subjectstyle] [\italic \tfd]

    \setuphead [subject] [
      style=subjectstyle,
      before=\bgroup \subjectstyle Kapitel~\egroup,
    ]
    \starttext
      \startsubject [title=foo] \input knuth \stopsubject
    \stoptext

The reason as to why this isn’t as easy as

    \setuplabeltext [chapter=Kapitel]
    \setuphead [chapter] [number=no]

is that the section label is treated as part of the number.
Consequently, Context exposes no option to typeset the label
independently. However, it can be made work by passing an
appropriate command that omits the number:

    \setuplabeltext [chapter=Kapitel]
    \setuphead [chapter] [deepnumbercommand=\gobbleoneargument]

    \starttext
      \startchapter [title=foo] \input knuth \stopchapter
    \stoptext

> Where can I find these informations?

In the manual [0]. The \title and \subject structurals even made the
second place on the “top ten” ladder of important commands
(cf. section 1.10). The numberless versions also feature
promintently on the wiki [1].

PS  Next time you ask a new question, please open a new thread
    with an adequate subject to keep the list tidy.

Best regards,
Philipp

[0] http://wiki.contextgarden.net/ConTeXt_reference_manual
[1] http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Titles#Default

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 819 bytes --]

* Re: sections without numbering
@ 2014-07-13  7:23                   ` Werner Hintze
From: Werner Hintze @ 2014-07-13  7:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Philipp,

I don’t know what happened: I believe I started a new thread with a
new subject. My mail program makes sometimes strange things…

Anayway. Thanks for your response. In the meantime I found another
solution:

	\starttext

	\define[2]\MyChapter {#1.\,Kapitel: #2}
	\setuphead [chapter] [command=\MyChapter, page=no]

	\startchapter
		[title=Die ersten Menschen]
	\input knuth
	\stopchapter

	\startchapter
		[title=Mehr von den ersten Menschen]
		\input knuth
	\stopchapter

	\stoptext

But you helped me to unterstand better what happens here.

Thank you and best regards

Werner

***
☞ Werner Hintze  ●  Auerstraße 1  ●  D-10249 Berlin ☜
Fon: +49 (30) 42 73 485 ● Mob: +49 (160) 94 68 76 60
***
On 13 Jul 2014, at 9:03, Philipp Gesang wrote:

Hello Werner!

·········

[...]

If your question is of interest to others as well, please add an entry
to the Wiki!

maillist : ntg-context@ntg.nl /
webpage : http://www.pragma-ade.nl / http://tex.aanhet.net
archive : http://foundry.supelec.fr/projects/contextrev/
wiki : http://contextgarden.net

* Re: sections without numbering
@ 2014-07-13  7:28                     ` Philipp Gesang
From: Philipp Gesang @ 2014-07-13  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

···<date: 2014-07-13, Sunday>···<from: Werner Hintze>···

> Anayway. Thanks for your response. In the meantime I found another
> solution:
>

> 	\starttext
>
> 	\define[2]\MyChapter {#1.\,Kapitel: #2}
> 	\setuphead [chapter] [command=\MyChapter, page=no]

Yes, that a valid solution as well.

Good luck!

@ 2014-07-13  9:38                     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2014-07-13  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 13.07.2014 um 09:23 schrieb Werner Hintze <w.hintze@posteo.eu>:

> Hi Philipp,
>
> I don’t know what happened: I believe I started a new thread with a new subject. My mail program makes sometimes strange things…
>
> Anayway. Thanks for your response. In the meantime I found another solution:
>
> \starttext
>
> \define[2]\MyChapter {#1.\,Kapitel: #2}
> \setuphead [chapter] [command=\MyChapter, page=no]

\setuphead [chapter] [numbercommand=\groupedcommand{}{ Kapitel:},page=no,sectionstopper=.]

or

\setuplabeltext[en][chapter={, Kapitel:}]
\setuphead [chapter] [page=no,sectionstopper=.]

Wolfgang

* Re: sections without numbering
@ 2014-07-13 10:06                       ` Werner Hintze
From: Werner Hintze @ 2014-07-13 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aha. I see. Two possibilities more. But I forgot another problem. All
these solutions give me

don’t unterstand the mechanism and so I don’t know where to look for
the solution.

@ 2014-07-25 12:06                         ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2014-07-25 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 13.07.2014 um 12:06 schrieb Werner Hintze <w.hintze@posteo.eu>:

> Aha. I see. Two possibilities more. But I forgot another problem. All these solutions give me

Which output do you expect?

Wolfgang