* [***SPAM***] Minimals ignores structureblockenvironment for frontmatter etc.
@ 2011-03-20 13:37 Tom
From: Tom @ 2011-03-20 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Minimals MKIV ignores the structureenvironment blocks when the suffix is
'matter' but applies them if the suffix is 'part.' Furthermore, they are
applied in \starttext if between \startfrontmatter -- \stopfrontmatter, etc.
blocks and error if between \startfrontpart -- \stopfrontpart, etc. blocks.
The following code executes but does not apply the environment block
commands. Commenting out the three \startstructureblockenvironment commands
with 'matter" arguments and uncommenting the three 'part' commands will
cause the environment block commands to be executed.

Ironically, the \start-\stop pairs between \starttext and \stoptext error if
'part' is used but execute if 'matter.'

\def\MyFrontMatterCommand#1#2% #1 is number, #2 is text
     {\framed[frame=off,align=middle,width=broad]
     {\switchtotypeface[ChapterStart] #2}}

\def\MyChapterCommand#1#2% #1 is number, #2 is text
  {\framed[frame=off,bottomframe=on,topframe=off]
     {\vbox{\centerline{\headtext{chapter} #1}\par\blank{\centerline{#2}}}}}

\definepagebreak[mychapterpagebreak][yes,header,right]

\startstructureblockenvironment[frontmatter]
%ignored if frontmatter, applied if frontpart
%\startstructureblockenvironment[frontpart]

\setuppagenumbering[state=start,location=bottom,conversion=romannumerals]

\setuphead[chapter]
 [command=\MyFrontMatterCommand,textstyle=\ss\bfd,
  header=empty,footer=chapter,page=mychapterpagebreak,
  number=no,after={\blank[0.5in]}]

\stopstructureblockenvironment

\startstructureblockenvironment[bodymatter]
%ignored if bodymatter, applied if bodypart
%\startstructureblockenvironment[bodypart]

\setuppagenumbering[alternative=doublesided,location=]

\setuppagenumbering[state=start,location=bottom,conversion=numbers]

\setuphead[chapter]
 [command=\MyChapterCommand,textstyle=\ss\bfd,
  header=empty,footer=chapter,page=mychapterpagebreak,
  after={\blank[0.5in]},before={\blank[force,1.0in]}
  \placeinitial]

\stopstructureblockenvironment

\startstructureblockenvironment[backmatter]
%ignored if back, applied if backpart
%\startstructureblockenvironment[backpart]

\setuphead[title]
 [command=\MyFrontMatterCommand,textstyle=\ss\bfd,
  header=empty,footer=chapter,page=mychapterpagebreak,
  number=no,after={\blank[0.25in]}]

\setuphead[chapter]
 [command=\MyFrontMatterCommand,textstyle=\ss\bfd,
  header=empty,footer=chapter,page=mychapterpagebreak,
  number=no,after={\blank[0.25in]}]

\stopstructureblockenvironment

\starttext

\startfrontmatter % errors if startfrontpart

%sample front matter
\input knuth

\completecontent[alternative=c,criterium=all]

\chapter{Preface}
\input knuth

\chapter{Introduction}
\input knuth

\stopfrontmatter

\startbodymatter %errors if startbodypart

\chapter{I Was Born}
\input knuth

\chapter{I Observe}
Lorem {\index{lorem}}ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit.
Maecenas ipsum turpis, imperdiet vel aliquam eu, iaculis at lorem. Proin ut
orci ac dui sodales commodo vel quis sem. Etiam nunc odio, luctus non cursus
elementum, elementum non.

\stopbodymatter

\startbackmatter %errors if startbackpart
\title{Appendices}
\page[blank]
\completeindex
\stopbackmatter

\stoptext

Tom Benjey
717-258-9733 voice
717-243-0074 fax
blog: www.TomBenjey.com

* Re: Minimals ignores structureblockenvironment for frontmatter etc.
@ 2011-03-20 13:49 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-03-20 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 20.03.2011 um 14:37 schrieb Tom:

> Minimals MKIV ignores the structureenvironment blocks when the suffix is
> 'matter' but applies them if the suffix is 'part.' Furthermore, they are
> applied in \starttext if between \startfrontmatter -- \stopfrontmatter, etc.
> blocks and error if between \startfrontpart -- \stopfrontpart, etc. blocks.
> The following code executes but does not apply the environment block
> commands. Commenting out the three \startstructureblockenvironment commands
> with 'matter" arguments and uncommenting the three 'part' commands will
> cause the environment block commands to be executed.

Sectionblocks have two names, one which you use for the settings and another
one when you enable it in your text, e.g. frontmatter has the internal name
“frontpart” but in the document you use it with “frontmatter”.

| Name      | Command (\startXXX ... \stopXXX) |
|-----------------------------------------------
| frontpart | frontmatter                      |
| bodypart  | bodymatter                       |
| appendix  | appendices                       |
| backpart  | backmatter                       |

* Re: Minimals ignores structureblockenvironment for frontmatter etc.
@ 2011-03-20 15:46   ` Tom
From: Tom @ 2011-03-20 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you, Wolfgang. Your table is most helpful. This can probably be found
in the documentation but not where I looked. This probably relates to the
recent discussion regarding manuals for novices.

My observation is that \completecontent and \completeindex are treated like
chapter starts in that 'Contents' and 'Index' are formatted as if they were
chapter titles.

Tom Benjey
717-258-9733 voice
717-243-0074 fax
blog: www.TomBenjey.com

> Minimals MKIV ignores the structureenvironment blocks when the suffix is
> 'matter' but applies them if the suffix is 'part.' Furthermore, they are
> applied in \starttext if between \startfrontmatter -- \stopfrontmatter,
etc.
> blocks and error if between \startfrontpart -- \stopfrontpart, etc.
blocks.
> The following code executes but does not apply the environment block
> commands. Commenting out the three \startstructureblockenvironment
commands
> with 'matter" arguments and uncommenting the three 'part' commands will
> cause the environment block commands to be executed.

Sectionblocks have two names, one which you use for the settings and another
one when you enable it in your text, e.g. frontmatter has the internal name
"frontpart" but in the document you use it with "frontmatter".

| Name      | Command (\startXXX ... \stopXXX) |
|-----------------------------------------------
| frontpart | frontmatter                      |
| bodypart  | bodymatter                       |
| appendix  | appendices                       |
| backpart  | backmatter                       |

Wolfgang

* Re: Minimals ignores structureblockenvironment for frontmatter etc.
@ 2011-03-20 16:03     ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2011-03-20 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 20 Mar 2011, Tom wrote:

> Thank you, Wolfgang. Your table is most helpful. This can probably be found
> in the documentation but not where I looked. This probably relates to the
> recent discussion regarding manuals for novices.

You could help by adding this information to the wiki, at a place where
you expected it to be present.

Aditya

* Re: Minimals ignores structureblockenvironment for frontmatter etc.
@ 2011-03-20 18:49     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-03-20 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 20.03.2011 um 16:46 schrieb Tom:

> Thank you, Wolfgang. Your table is most helpful. This can probably be found
> in the documentation but not where I looked. This probably relates to the
> recent discussion regarding manuals for novices.
>
> My observation is that \completecontent and \completeindex are treated like
> chapter starts in that 'Contents' and 'Index' are formatted as if they were
> chapter titles.

\completecontent        == \title   + \placecontent
\completelist           == \title   + \placelist
\completelistofsynonyms == \chapter + \placelistofsynonyms + \page
\completeregister       == \chapter + \placeregister       + \page
\completepublications   == \chapter + \placepublications

Wolfgang