* Re: Compiling stops with ...
       [not found] ` <4380312E.4090501@elvenkind.com>
@ 2005-11-20 18:45   ` David Arnold
From: David Arnold @ 2005-11-20 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gerben, Taco,

OK, I am using Gerben's Context Updated with a beta, so I think
what's running is the context in texmf.local. I have two type-tmf.dat.

lm $ locate type-tmf.dat
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/context/data/type-tmf.dat
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/context/data/type-tmf.dat
lm $

Does it matter which of these I use?

Before I run "texfont --encoding=texnansi --batch type-tmf.dat," two
things:

1. How do I figure out whether to set TEXMFMAIN or TEXMFDIST? That
is, how can I tell where these environment variables point?

2. I could cut and paste in type-tmf.dat, but can I do it with one
line in the file type-tmf.dat somehow? What would be the line I would
add near the top of the file?

On Nov 20, 2005, at 12:17 AM, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> Gerben Wierda wrote:
>
>> Hans? Taco?
>>
>>> From: David Arnold <darnold@northcoast.com>

>>> Where I am in the current directory with all of the source
>>> files.  Compiling stops with a font problem:
>>>
>>> (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/context/base/type-
>>> akb.tex))  kpathsea: Running mktextfm texnansi-uplr8a
>>>

> It is the same problem I ran into when trying to compile
> the manuals from the subversion repository: you don't have
> the needed metric files on your system.
>
> When I asked Hans, he said:
>
> Just run "texfont --encoding=texnansi --batch type-tmf.dat"
>
> and that worked fine after a little bit of joggling
> with the TEXMFMAIN variable: this variable needs to point
> to the texmf tree that contains the afm files for the
> fonts, and on my system (teTeX 3) that is TEXMFDIST,
> not TEXMFMAIN. The easiest fix was to manually edit
> type-tmf.dat
>
> Greetings, Taco

David

* Re: Re: Compiling stops with ...
@ 2005-11-20 19:39     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2005-11-20 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Arnold wrote:
> Gerben, Taco,
>
> OK, I am using Gerben's Context Updated with a beta, so I think  what's
> running is the context in texmf.local. I have two type-tmf.dat.
>
> lm $ locate type-tmf.dat
> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/context/data/type-tmf.dat
> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/context/data/type-tmf.dat
> lm $
>
> Does it matter which of these I use?

Take the one in texmf.local. It should not make a lot of difference,
but that one is the latest, and also it belongs to the ConTeXt you
are running.

> Before I run "texfont --encoding=texnansi --batch type-tmf.dat," two
> things:
>
> 1. How do I figure out whether to set TEXMFMAIN or TEXMFDIST? That  is,
> how can I tell where these environment variables point?

   kpsewhich --expand-var \$TEXMFMAIN

expands the variable TEXMFMAIN (on the terminal). I'm not sure
which one you need, because I am not familiar with gwTeX. You need the
one that contains the afm files, like uhvr8a.afm. For me that file is
in:

   /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf-dist/fonts/afm/urw/helvetic/uhvr8a.afm

so I needed the tree that starts with

   /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf-dist

Assuming a (ba)sh command line shell, this should do it (three lines):

   lm $ TEXMFMAIN=/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf-dist
   lm $ export TEXMFMAIN
   lm $ texfont ....

> 2. I could cut and paste in type-tmf.dat, but can I do it with one  line
> in the file type-tmf.dat somehow? What would be the line I would  add
> near the top of the file?

To answer the question anyway: I do not believe that is possible.
But with the solution above, there is no need to edit type-tmf.dat.

(I hope I'm not confusing you, but I am on Linux and teTeX so being
precise is hard)

Cheers, Taco

* Re: Re: Compiling stops with ...
@ 2005-11-20 19:51       ` David Arnold
From: David Arnold @ 2005-11-20 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Taco,

This is great help. It almost worked.

share $ TEXMFMAIN=/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex
share $ export TEXMFMAIN

data $ texfont --encoding=texnansi --batch type-tmf.dat

TeXFont 2.2.1 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 2000-2004

           slant factor : 0.167
          checking root : TEXMFMAIN
     processing aborted : unknown subpath ../fonts/afm/urw/ncntrsbk

                 --help : show some more info
data $

Is it trying to back up a directory? How come.

On Nov 20, 2005, at 11:39 AM, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> David Arnold wrote:
>
>> Gerben, Taco,
>> OK, I am using Gerben's Context Updated with a beta, so I think
>> what's running is the context in texmf.local. I have two type-
>> tmf.dat.
>> lm $ locate type-tmf.dat
>> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/context/data/type-tmf.dat
>> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/context/data/type-tmf.dat
>> lm $
>> Does it matter which of these I use?
>>

> Take the one in texmf.local. It should not make a lot of difference,
> but that one is the latest, and also it belongs to the ConTeXt you
> are running.
>

>> Before I run "texfont --encoding=texnansi --batch type-tmf.dat,"
>> two  things:
>> 1. How do I figure out whether to set TEXMFMAIN or TEXMFDIST?
>> That  is, how can I tell where these environment variables point?
>>

>   kpsewhich --expand-var \$TEXMFMAIN
>
> expands the variable TEXMFMAIN (on the terminal). I'm not sure
> which one you need, because I am not familiar with gwTeX. You need the
> one that contains the afm files, like uhvr8a.afm. For me that file is
> in:
>
>   /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf-dist/fonts/afm/urw/helvetic/uhvr8a.afm
>
> so I needed the tree that starts with
>
>   /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf-dist
>
> Assuming a (ba)sh command line shell, this should do it (three lines):
>
>   lm $ TEXMFMAIN=/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf-dist
>   lm $ export TEXMFMAIN
>   lm $ texfont ....
>

>> 2. I could cut and paste in type-tmf.dat, but can I do it with
>> one  line in the file type-tmf.dat somehow? What would be the line
>> I would  add near the top of the file?
>>

> To answer the question anyway: I do not believe that is possible.
> But with the solution above, there is no need to edit type-tmf.dat.
>
> (I hope I'm not confusing you, but I am on Linux and teTeX so being
> precise is hard)
>
> Cheers, Taco

David

* Re: Re: Compiling stops with ...
@ 2005-11-20 20:00         ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2005-11-20 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Arnold wrote:
> Taco,
>
> This is great help. It almost worked.
>
> share $ TEXMFMAIN=/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex
> share $ export TEXMFMAIN
>
> data $ texfont --encoding=texnansi --batch type-tmf.dat
>
> TeXFont 2.2.1 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 2000-2004
>
>           slant factor : 0.167
>          checking root : TEXMFMAIN
>     processing aborted : unknown subpath ../fonts/afm/urw/ncntrsbk
>
>                 --help : show some more info
> data $
>
> Is it trying to back up a directory? How come.

The error reporting is being somewhat silly, I think.
It assumedly is talking about

   /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/fonts/afm/urw/ncntrsbk

Does that folder exist?

Taco

> On Nov 20, 2005, at 11:39 AM, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>
>> David Arnold wrote:
>>
>>> Gerben, Taco,
>>> OK, I am using Gerben's Context Updated with a beta, so I think
>>> what's running is the context in texmf.local. I have two type- tmf.dat.
>>> lm $ locate type-tmf.dat
>>> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/context/data/type-tmf.dat
>>> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/context/data/type-tmf.dat
>>> lm $
>>> Does it matter which of these I use?
>>>

>> Take the one in texmf.local. It should not make a lot of difference,
>> but that one is the latest, and also it belongs to the ConTeXt you
>> are running.
>>

>>> Before I run "texfont --encoding=texnansi --batch type-tmf.dat,"
>>> two  things:
>>> 1. How do I figure out whether to set TEXMFMAIN or TEXMFDIST?  That
>>> is, how can I tell where these environment variables point?
>>>

>>   kpsewhich --expand-var \$TEXMFMAIN
>>
>> expands the variable TEXMFMAIN (on the terminal). I'm not sure
>> which one you need, because I am not familiar with gwTeX. You need the
>> one that contains the afm files, like uhvr8a.afm. For me that file is
>> in:
>>
>>   /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf-dist/fonts/afm/urw/helvetic/uhvr8a.afm
>>
>> so I needed the tree that starts with
>>
>>   /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf-dist
>>
>> Assuming a (ba)sh command line shell, this should do it (three lines):
>>
>>   lm $ TEXMFMAIN=/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf-dist
>>   lm $ export TEXMFMAIN
>>   lm $ texfont ....
>>

>>> 2. I could cut and paste in type-tmf.dat, but can I do it with  one
>>> line in the file type-tmf.dat somehow? What would be the line  I
>>> would  add near the top of the file?
>>>

>> To answer the question anyway: I do not believe that is possible.
>> But with the solution above, there is no need to edit type-tmf.dat.
>>
>> (I hope I'm not confusing you, but I am on Linux and teTeX so being
>> precise is hard)
>>
>> Cheers, Taco

> David

* Re: Re: Compiling stops with ...
@ 2005-11-20 20:05           ` David Arnold
From: David Arnold @ 2005-11-20 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Taco,

Yes.

ncntrsbk $ pwd
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/fonts/afm/urw/ncntrsbk
ncntrsbk $

What if I deleted all of the --ro=TEXMFMAIN switches from type-
tmf.dat? Would texfont then search on its own for the right place?

data $ texfont --help

TeXFont 2.2.1 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 2000-2004

        --fontroot=path : texmf destination font root (default: /usr/
local/tetex/share/texmf.local)
       --rootlist=paths : texmf source roots (default:
TEXMFFONTS,TEXMFLOCAL,TEXMFEXTRA,TEXMFMAIN,TEXMFDIST)

This seems to say it would search on its own, so I am curious as to
why the --ro=TEXMFMAIN switches are in type-tmf.dat.

Thanks for the help. Learning a lot. :-)

David

* Re: Re: Compiling stops with ...
@ 2005-11-20 20:31             ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2005-11-20 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Arnold wrote:
> Taco,
>
> Yes.
>
> ncntrsbk $ pwd
> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/fonts/afm/urw/ncntrsbk
> ncntrsbk $
>
> What if I deleted all of the --ro=TEXMFMAIN switches from type- tmf.dat?
> Would texfont then search on its own for the right place?

Not impossible, but I am not sure either. Perhaps the --trace switch
can help as well. (I do not understand at all why this works for me,
but not for you).

Taco

* Re: Re: Compiling stops with ...
@ 2005-11-20 23:30     ` Gerben Wierda
From: Gerben Wierda @ 2005-11-20 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 20 Nov 2005, at 19:45, David Arnold wrote:

> Gerben, Taco,
>
> OK, I am using Gerben's Context Updated with a beta, so I think
> what's running is the context in texmf.local.

The current ConTeXt updater package does not contain a beta as there
currently is no beta.

> I have two type-tmf.dat.
>
> lm $ locate type-tmf.dat
> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/context/data/type-tmf.dat

This is the one installedby the ConTeXt updater

> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/context/data/type-tmf.dat

This is the one that is part of teTeX's texmf tree

> lm $
>
> Does it matter which of these I use?

If you uninstall the ConTeXt updater, the one in texmf.local is
uninstalled and you get the one in texmf.tetex. Note that that one is
almost a year old.

> Before I run "texfont --encoding=texnansi --batch type-tmf.dat,"
> two things:
>
> 1. How do I figure out whether to set TEXMFMAIN or TEXMFDIST? That
> is, how can I tell where these environment variables point?

Please do not go this route. If you really want to, read /usr/local/
teTeX/texmf.cnf and find out that TEXMFDIST does not exist in my
setup. My setup does not mimick TeX Live here and the ConTeXt tools
seem to be expecting TeX Live.

> 2. I could cut and paste in type-tmf.dat, but can I do it with one
> line in the file type-tmf.dat somehow? What would be the line I
> would add near the top of the file?

I would advise against doing this just to compile the manuals. Wait
until ConTeXt is fixed.

* Re: Re: Compiling stops with ...
@ 2005-11-20 23:33       ` Gerben Wierda
From: Gerben Wierda @ 2005-11-20 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 20 Nov 2005, at 20:39, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> David Arnold wrote:
>> Gerben, Taco,
>> OK, I am using Gerben's Context Updated with a beta, so I think
>> what's running is the context in texmf.local. I have two type-
>> tmf.dat.
>> lm $ locate type-tmf.dat
>> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/context/data/type-tmf.dat
>> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/context/data/type-tmf.dat
>> lm $
>> Does it matter which of these I use?
>
> Take the one in texmf.local. It should not make a lot of difference,
> but that one is the latest, and also it belongs to the ConTeXt you
> are running.
>
>> Before I run "texfont --encoding=texnansi --batch type-tmf.dat,"
>> two  things:
>> 1. How do I figure out whether to set TEXMFMAIN or TEXMFDIST?
>> That  is, how can I tell where these environment variables point?
>
>   kpsewhich --expand-var \$TEXMFMAIN
>
> expands the variable TEXMFMAIN (on the terminal). I'm not sure
> which one you need, because I am not familiar with gwTeX. You need the
> one that contains the afm files, like uhvr8a.afm. For me that file is
> in:
>
>   /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf-dist/fonts/afm/urw/helvetic/uhvr8a.afm

$ locate uhvr8a.afm
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/fonts/afm/urw/helvetic/uhvr8a.afm

> so I needed the tree that starts with
>
>   /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf-dist
>
> Assuming a (ba)sh command line shell, this should do it (three lines):
>
>   lm $ TEXMFMAIN=/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf-dist
>   lm $ export TEXMFMAIN
>   lm $ texfont ....
>
>> 2. I could cut and paste in type-tmf.dat, but can I do it with
>> one  line in the file type-tmf.dat somehow? What would be the line
>> I would  add near the top of the file?
>
> To answer the question anyway: I do not believe that is possible.
> But with the solution above, there is no need to edit type-tmf.dat.
>
> (I hope I'm not confusing you, but I am on Linux and teTeX so being
> precise is hard)
>
> Cheers, Taco

* Re: Re: Compiling stops with ...
@ 2005-11-21  4:28         ` David Arnold
From: David Arnold @ 2005-11-21  4:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gerben, Taco, et al,

OK. I have a completely up-to-date TeX installation (GWTeX on Tiger).
Thanks for your help.

My technique was to "Make Fat" each component, then burn them onto a
disk, then replace my I-packages directory contents on my home
computer with the packages on the burn disk. Then I did an install,
include CM-super and Context updater.

Context now works. This file:

\starttext
Hello, World!
\stoptext

Compiles and views fine. This file:

\definefontsynonym[CharterBT-Bold][bchb8r][encoding=texnansi]
\definefont[MySecondFont][CharterBT-Bold]
\starttext
\MySecondFont
Hello, World!
\stoptext

Gives a headache. It compiles and views, but when viewing in Acrobat
Professional, there are clearly ugly bitmapped fonts in the document
(I also tried encoding=texnansi and \defaultencoding). Document
properties reveal that I am using:

F38
Type: Type 3
Encoding: Custom
Actual Font: F38
Actual Font Type: Type 3

On the other hand, this file:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{charter}
\begin{document}
Hello, World!
\end{document}

Compiles and view fine and Acrobat Professional reports that I am using:

CharterBT-Roman (Embedded  Subset)
Type: Type 1
Encoding: Custom

And the output in Acrobat Professional looks good. Looks like a Type
1 font to me, not an ugly bitmap.

I'm gonna wait until tomorrow or so, but then I'd like to try the
texfont thingy again with type-tmf.dat and see if I can get Context
to find the font and use it correctly.

Waiting for advice.

Thanks for everything today.

Final bit of information:

darnold $ locate uhvr8a.afm
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/fonts/afm/urw/helvetic/uhvr8a.afm
darnold $ kpsewhich --expand-var \$TEXMFMAIN
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf
darnold $ kpsewhich --expand-var \$TEXMF
{/Users/darnold/Library/texmf,!!/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local,!!/
usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.gwtex,!!/usr/local/teTeX/share/
texmf.tetex,!!/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf}
darnold $ kpsewhich --expand-var \$TEXMFTE

On Nov 20, 2005, at 3:33 PM, Gerben Wierda wrote:

> On 20 Nov 2005, at 20:39, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>

>> David Arnold wrote:
>>
>>> Gerben, Taco,
>>> OK, I am using Gerben's Context Updated with a beta, so I think
>>> what's running is the context in texmf.local. I have two type-
>>> tmf.dat.
>>> lm $ locate type-tmf.dat
>>> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/context/data/type-tmf.dat
>>> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/context/data/type-tmf.dat
>>> lm $
>>> Does it matter which of these I use?
>>>

>> Take the one in texmf.local. It should not make a lot of difference,
>> but that one is the latest, and also it belongs to the ConTeXt you
>> are running.
>>

>>> Before I run "texfont --encoding=texnansi --batch type-tmf.dat,"
>>> two  things:
>>> 1. How do I figure out whether to set TEXMFMAIN or TEXMFDIST?
>>> That  is, how can I tell where these environment variables point?
>>>

>>   kpsewhich --expand-var \$TEXMFMAIN
>>
>> expands the variable TEXMFMAIN (on the terminal). I'm not sure
>> which one you need, because I am not familiar with gwTeX. You need
>> the
>> one that contains the afm files, like uhvr8a.afm. For me that file is
>> in:
>>
>>   /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf-dist/fonts/afm/urw/helvetic/uhvr8a.afm
>>

> $ locate uhvr8a.afm
> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/fonts/afm/urw/helvetic/uhvr8a.afm
>

>> so I needed the tree that starts with
>>
>>   /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf-dist
>>
>> Assuming a (ba)sh command line shell, this should do it (three
>> lines):
>>
>>   lm $ TEXMFMAIN=/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf-dist
>>   lm $ export TEXMFMAIN
>>   lm $ texfont ....
>>

>>> 2. I could cut and paste in type-tmf.dat, but can I do it with
>>> one  line in the file type-tmf.dat somehow? What would be the
>>> line I would  add near the top of the file?
>>>

>> To answer the question anyway: I do not believe that is possible.
>> But with the solution above, there is no need to edit type-tmf.dat.
>>
>> (I hope I'm not confusing you, but I am on Linux and teTeX so being
>> precise is hard)
>>
>> Cheers, Taco

David

* Re: Re: Compiling stops with ...
@ 2005-11-21  7:41           ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2005-11-21  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

First off: at this point, you context installation is behaving
as expected, so that's good!

But there are still a few problems...

The metric file bchb8r is not in tenansi encoding, it is in
LaTeX's 8r encoding, an internal re-encoding that helps
implement ec (T1). \note{In the Berry scheme, bchb8y.tfm would
be in texnansi encoding, but that file doesn't exist.}

Because you supply context with the wrong encoding, some accents
will come out wrong, but besides that, this almost works.

The only thing still missing is the map file for pdftex:

   \loadmapfile[8r-base.map]
   \definefontsynonym[CharterBT-Bold][bchb8r][encoding=texnansi]
   \definefont[MySecondFont][CharterBT-Bold]
   \starttext
   \MySecondFont
   Hello, World!
   \stoptext

That should give you a nice Type1 font (but not in texnansi).

Better is to use the ec encoded font in the first place:

  \loadmapfile[ec-base.map]
  \loadmapfile[8r-base.map]
  \definefontsynonym[CharterBT-Bold][bchb8r][encoding=ec]
  \definefont[MySecondFont][CharterBT-Bold]
  \starttext
  \MySecondFont
  Hello, World!
  \stoptext

\note{you still have to load 8r-base.enc, because ec is a
virtual font encoding.}

All of this is unrelated to whether or not texfont works.

Cheers, Taco
\note{some of this I did not realise yesterday, it's been a
learning experience for me as well}