* Using CMYK for print jobs
@ 2013-10-25 13:09 hwitloc
From: hwitloc @ 2013-10-25 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

A printer I want to use only handles files which use CMYK colorspace/model..

I tried building my mkiv file using  cmyk=yes, as shown below:

\setupcolors[state=start, rgb=no, cmyk=yes, overprint=yes]

Using ImageMagick's identify program to check the resulting file it show the following:
 Resolution: 72x72
  Print size: 3.58333x2.16667
  Units: Undefined
  Type: PaletteMatte
  Endianess: Undefined
  Colorspace: RGBde delegate for this image format `/home/user_a' @ error/constitut  Depth: 16/8-bit.
  Channel depth:
    red: 8-bit
    green: 8-bit
    blue: 8-bit
    alpha: 1-bit

GIMP also shows an RGB model for the resulting pdf file.
Also is this mention of pixel resultion of 72x72 correct or useful?
     I tried to get a 300 dpi resolution for output.

Any ideas and advice would be appreciated.

* Re: Using CMYK for print jobs
@ 2013-10-25 13:33 ` William Adams
From: William Adams @ 2013-10-25 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Oct 25, 2013, at 9:09 AM, hwitloc@gmail.com wrote:

> GIMP also shows an RGB model for the resulting pdf file.
> Also is this mention of pixel resultion of 72x72 correct or useful?
>     I tried to get a 300 dpi resolution for output.

ConTeXt just typesets text, places graphics and runs graphic creation routines which have been grafted in to TeX as libraries.

The only things which should result in pixel information are:

 - graphics --- you're in control of their settings when they're created
 - internal graphic creation --- at one point in time there were issues w/ transparency, but these were resolved AFAIR

So, check your settings for any graphics you're placing, and for those which you are creating w/in ConTeXt.

Neither of the tools you mentioned are suited for checking pre-press-readiness of a file.

Multivalent has some facilities for validating a file: http://multivalent.sourceforge.net/
as does qpdf: http://qpdf.sourceforge.net/

There are free on-line tools: http://www.pdf-tools.com/pdf/validate-pdfa-online.aspx

Lots of commercial options such as Adobe Acrobat, Enfocus PitStop, http://www.fixmyprintfile.com/, &c. List here: