* register fine tuning
@ 2006-10-25  9:34 Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2006-10-25  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I am not sure how a ConTeXt index register is generated and what role
the tui and tuo files play.
But could it be possible to manually "fine tune" the generated register?

Something like from ...

Keywords
-- secret  35
-- popular  25, 26, 27, 88, 89

... to ...

Keywords see also Commands
-- secret  35
-- popular  25-27, 88-89

... just by typing the changes in one of those helper files?

Steffen

* Re: register fine tuning
@ 2006-10-25 20:45 ` Hans Hagen
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-10-25 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steffen Wolfrum wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am not sure how a ConTeXt index register is generated and what role
> the tui and tuo files play.
> But could it be possible to manually "fine tune" the generated register?
>
> Something like from ...
>
> Keywords
> -- secret  35
> -- popular  25, 26, 27, 88, 89
>
> .... to ...
>
> Keywords see also Commands
> -- secret  35
> -- popular  25-27, 88-89
>

> .... just by typing the changes in one of those helper files?

it should not be to hard to filter the entries from a tuo into another file and use that one: dirty hack:

\bgroup\def\jobname{copyof}\placeregister\egroup

if needed i can provide a \setupregister[file=copyof] feature ;

in mkiv there will be more control because we may move index handling in mem

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: register fine tuning
@ 2006-10-25 22:35   ` Vit Zyka
From: Vit Zyka @ 2006-10-25 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:
> Steffen Wolfrum wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am not sure how a ConTeXt index register is generated and what role
>> the tui and tuo files play.
>> But could it be possible to manually "fine tune" the generated register?
>>
>> Something like from ...
>>
>> Keywords
>> -- secret  35
>> -- popular  25, 26, 27, 88, 89
>>
>> .... to ...
>>
>> Keywords see also Commands
>> -- secret  35
>> -- popular  25-27, 88-89

Steffen, you can try my hacked texutil.pl
It does this job but I can not garantee that it will not have some side
effect in your case. It works for characters in ec encodings.

Vit

>> .... just by typing the changes in one of those helper files?
>>

> it should not be to hard to filter the entries from a tuo into another file and use that one: dirty hack:
>
> \bgroup\def\jobname{copyof}\placeregister\egroup
>
> if needed i can provide a \setupregister[file=copyof] feature ;
>
> in mkiv there will be more control because we may move index handling in mem
>
> Hans

Ing. Vít Zýka, Ph.D.                         TYPOkvítek

database publishing              databazove publikovani
data maintaining and typesetting in typographic quality
priprava dat a jejich sazba v typograficke kvalite

tel.: (+420) 777 198 189     www: http://typokvitek.com

* Re: register fine tuning
@ 2006-10-26  8:07   ` Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2006-10-26  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sorry, same problem here as with your other posting:
How should I use this hack?

Given that I have a source TEX document (providing the \index{Keyword
and the \placeregister{index}} and those TUI and TOU files.
Where should I store the line below in order to manipulate (filter?)
the TUO?

Do I have to start a new file with a kind of \input command?

Steffen

Am 25.10.2006 um 22:45 schrieb Hans Hagen:

> Steffen Wolfrum wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am not sure how a ConTeXt index register is generated and what role
>> the tui and tuo files play.
>> But could it be possible to manually "fine tune" the generated
>> register?
>>
>> Something like from ...
>>
>> Keywords
>> -- secret  35
>> -- popular  25, 26, 27, 88, 89
>>
>> .... to ...
>>
>> Keywords see also Commands
>> -- secret  35
>> -- popular  25-27, 88-89
>>

>> .... just by typing the changes in one of those helper files?
>>

> it should not be to hard to filter the entries from a tuo into
> another file and use that one: dirty hack:
>
> \bgroup\def\jobname{copyof}\placeregister\egroup
>
> if needed i can provide a \setupregister[file=copyof] feature ;
>
> in mkiv there will be more control because we may move index
> handling in mem
>
> Hans

* Re: register fine tuning
@ 2006-10-26  8:32     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-10-26  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steffen Wolfrum wrote:
> Sorry, same problem here as with your other posting:
> How should I use this hack?
>
> Given that I have a source TEX document (providing the \index{Keyword
> and the \placeregister{index}} and those TUI and TOU files.
> Where should I store the line below in order to manipulate (filter?)
> the TUO?
>
> Do I have to start a new file with a kind of \input command?
>

> Steffen
>

> Am 25.10.2006 um 22:45 schrieb Hans Hagen:
>

>> Steffen Wolfrum wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am not sure how a ConTeXt index register is generated and what role
>>> the tui and tuo files play.
>>> But could it be possible to manually "fine tune" the generated
>>> register?
>>>
>>> Something like from ...
>>>
>>> Keywords
>>> -- secret  35
>>> -- popular  25, 26, 27, 88, 89
>>>
>>> .... to ...
>>>
>>> Keywords see also Commands
>>> -- secret  35
>>> -- popular  25-27, 88-89
>>>

>>> .... just by typing the changes in one of those helper files?
>>>

>> it should not be to hard to filter the entries from a tuo into
>> another file and use that one: dirty hack:
>>
>> \bgroup\def\jobname{copyof}\placeregister\egroup
>>
>> if needed i can provide a \setupregister[file=copyof] feature ;

hm, you really want to do that now?

i'll make a beta that can do:

\placeregister[index]

\placeregister[index][file=testtest]

so, you can copy test.tuo to testtest.tuo and them edit testtest.tuo to suit your needs

of course, you need to keep in mind that it is possible to edit testtest.tuo to the extend that it starts influencing pagenumbers and such

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: register fine tuning
@ 2006-10-26  8:42   ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2006-10-26  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Oct 25, 2006, at 10:45 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:

> in mkiv there will be more control because we may move index
> handling in mem
>
> Hans

OK, since we're speaking of registers, may I repeat my question from
last weekend and add something that could be a bug? First, here's the
question:

I have defined a special index which will typeset numbers in bold:

\setupregister[index][imp][pagestyle=bold]

which I invoke like

\index[imp::]{modernity}

How can I get a register range to use this special style?  I tried
something like

\startregister[imp][signi][signifie]{\em signifié}

but get errors "missing csname." What am i overlooking?

And then the bug: I want a \seeindex entry to be typeset in italics,
but there seems to be a problem; I get this error message:

Runaway argument?
{\noexpand \gdef \noexpand \dosplitofffoliopart [####1
\sectionseparator \ETC.
! File ended while scanning use of \aftersplitstring.
<inserted text>
                 \par
<to be read again>
                    \relax
\dodoreadfile ...\preprocesssuffix \or \fi \relax
                                                   \the
\everyafterreadfile
\emphasislook ...beginrobusttest \futurelet \next
                                                   \emphasistest
\doifelsenothing #1->\edef \!!stringa {#1
                                          }\ifx \!!stringa \empty
\expandafte...

\dolimitatetext #1#2->\doifelsenothing {#1}
                                             {\unhbox \nextbox }
{\nopenaltie...
l.40 \registersee{index}{,}{two}{2--0-0-0-0-0-0-0}

! Missing number, treated as zero.
<to be read again>
                    \begingroup
\emphasislook ->\begingroup
                             \beginrobusttest \futurelet \next
\emphasistest
<argument> ...s \scratchdimen \emphasiscorrection
                                                   \relax \ifdim
\scratchdime...

\secondoftwoarguments #1#2->#2

\dolimitatetext ...fi \else \unhbox \nextbox \fi }
                                                   \egroup
\limitatetext ...ormallimitatetext {#1}\leftlimit
                                                   {#3}\else
\speciallimitate...
l.40 \registersee{index}{,}{two}{2--0-0-0-0-0-0-0}

! Illegal unit of measure (pt inserted).
<to be read again>
                    \begingroup
\emphasislook ->\begingroup
                             \beginrobusttest \futurelet \next
\emphasistest
<argument> ...s \scratchdimen \emphasiscorrection
                                                   \relax \ifdim
\scratchdime...

\secondoftwoarguments #1#2->#2

\dolimitatetext ...fi \else \unhbox \nextbox \fi }
                                                   \egroup
\limitatetext ...ormallimitatetext {#1}\leftlimit
                                                   {#3}\else
\speciallimitate...
l.40 \registersee{index}{,}{two}{2--0-0-0-0-0-0-0}

)

minimal test file:

\starttext

one\seeindex[one]{\em one}{two} \seeindex[Latex]{\LaTeX}{one}\LaTeX\
\index{two}two

\page

\placeregister[index]

\stoptext

Thanks for any help!

Thomas

* Re: register fine tuning
@ 2006-10-26  9:17       ` Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2006-10-26  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 26.10.2006 um 10:32 schrieb Hans Hagen:

> hm, you really want to do that now?

Yes, please: the printing house is wating for the book today...

> i'll make a beta that can do:
>

> \placeregister[index]
>
> \placeregister[index][file=testtest]
>
> so, you can copy test.tuo to testtest.tuo and them edit
> testtest.tuo to suit your needs

Great, that sound very usably!

Steffen

> of course, you need to keep in mind that it is possible to edit
> testtest.tuo to the extend that it starts influencing pagenumbers
> and such

* TOC (was: register) fine tuning
@ 2007-02-14 16:12         ` Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2007-02-14 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hans,

fine-tuning a TOC is horrible when you have a lot of tables and figures in a larger project:
you have to wait and wait and wait …

Could you also provide a comparable solution like the one below (for the placeregister), please?

Something like …

\completecontent[file=testtest]

That would give me back several hours to life!

Thank you,

Steffen

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 11:17:01 +0200, Steffen Wolfrum wrote:

> Am 26.10.2006 um 10:32 schrieb Hans Hagen:
>>
>> hm, you really want to do that now?
>>

> Yes, please: the printing house is wating for the book today...
>

>> i'll make a beta that can do:
>>

>> \placeregister[index]
>>
>> \placeregister[index][file=testtest]
>>
>> so, you can copy test.tuo to testtest.tuo and them edit
>> testtest.tuo to suit your needs
>>

> Great, that sound very usably!
>
> Steffen
>

>> of course, you need to keep in mind that it is possible to edit
>> testtest.tuo to the extend that it starts influencing pagenumbers
>> and such

* Re: TOC
@ 2007-02-15 16:06           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-02-15 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steffen Wolfrum wrote:
> Hi Hans,
>
> fine-tuning a TOC is horrible when you have a lot of tables and figures in a larger project:
> you have to wait and wait and wait ^[$B!D^[(B
>
> Could you also provide a comparable solution like the one below (for the placeregister), please?
>
> Something like ^[$B!D^[(B
>
> \completecontent[file=testtest]

it is kind of tricky since lists can be combined ... will think of it (careful hack)

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE