From: "Meigen, Thomas" <T.Meigen@augenklinik.uni-wuerzburg.de>
To: "ntg-context@ntg.nl" <ntg-context@ntg.nl>
Subject: Re: ConTeXt on the Mac (TexShop). Problem of a newbie
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2013 22:03:42 +0000	[thread overview]

Hi,

once again, thank you very much for your help.

@Hans

> Most of those presentation styles were used at tex user group meetings and in those cases I often use new (or experimental) functionality, i.e. hooking in extentions and such; in the transition from mkii to mkiv some of the hacks needed in traditional tex are gone but then I need to check all those styles too and I don't use them that often.

Thanks, now I understand the experimental nature of these modules.

> The benefits of mkiv over mkii compensate the occasional issue. Also, issues are often fixed quite fast and as we have a perfect update structure running on the garden problems never stay long. I (and probably others) use mkiv in (often unattended) production runs so it's on the average pretty useable. I haven't used mkii for years.

Great, so this would be be an argument for me to use mkiv as well.
And the very fast and helpful comments here in the Forum are very convincing. Thanks

> I have no clue what Scrivener is.

Sorry, I forget to mention. Scrivener is a very nice editor which mainly supports
the creative part of writing and the organisation of additional material.
The reason I mentioned it here is that it can export the text in a large variety
of formats including LaTeX. But the question about how it might cooperate with
Context might be better suited to the Scrivener Forum... ;-).

@Sietse

thanks you very much for your clarifications. These explanations are very helpful!

> So if it's stability you worry about, you have three options:
> * Use Mark II, solid as a rock.
> * Follow the stable Mark IVs.
> * Take a bleeding-edge beta and don't update it.

Thanks. I see, there are different options (which is always good...)

Best wishes
Thomas